Some random observations on our 1st (and last) 5 night cruise on Destiny

fig414

If it is meaningless.........why make a big deal over it:confused:

It's meaningless in reference to the cruise review.. It's offensive to some that someone would actual notice it and think it's a point worth mentioning...

Nope.. And she/he didnt have to add it in.. It was meaningless..

And the OP has been on this site and had to know it would stir the soup...

The OP came back on to say they were sorry to have offended anyone.

What more can they say, it's done and over with now.

OP said: "The only different thing was that African Americans markedly outnumbered Caucasians. This, of course. wasn't a problem at all, but it was clearly different than any other cruise we were ever on"

So it bothered OP & he/she don't want to admit it????

We have sailed from New York, Philadelphia,and from Fla, and I would agree there is a different atmosphere on the different cruises. This has nothing to do with race as I couldn't tell you if there was a different racial make up on anyof the cruise. Being from the midwest there were several times as we were talking to people from the east coast once they found out we were from the midwest they were no longer interested in what we had to say. ie. We had dinner companions that had very little to say to us until on the second night we somehow got on the subject of grocery stores. We mentioned thay we had been to a Fred Meiers (SP?) and as soon as they realized we knew about a East Coast store we must not be the country bumpkins they originally thought, so they started talking to us like we were long lost relatives. This has happened on several cruises even from Fla but with more East Coasters sailing out of East Coast cities there just seems to be a different atmosphere on those sailings.

Keith

Originally Posted by fig414 viewpost.gif

The only different thing was that African Americans markedly outnumbered Caucasians. This, of course. wasn't a problem at all, but it was clearly different than any other cruise we were ever on.

Why would you even bring this up? Are African Americans not suppose to cruise?

Whatever! :mad:

People on another board bring it up all the time using different words. They, imho, have aproblem with this. I don't think the poster meant anything negative by it. He just mentioned the fact that there were more African Americans than caucasions. I would like to know how he knew they weren't African Canadiens....;)

I did not see anything racial about that comment. The OP was simply making a general observation. Why make a stink over something thats non-existent. There is enough predjudicy on the planet already without everyone making a big deal over a situation where its not involved.

The OP did not have to mention it, but he did, just as an observation, and that is his perogative. No need to make it more than it is.

Exactly! Get over it! The poster only made an observation! These negative reactions are the reasons why prejudice feelings continue to exist in our nation. When you have to worry about every little thing that you say, even when said in a non-biased manner, you begin to wonder about our freedom of speech.

Guess we all have our our opinions....I personally take offense. If you don't, good for you.

It must be unpleasant to live your life so easily offended. I don't believe I could be offended by the typings of someone I've never met. Besides, OP went WAY out of her way to stress that it was an observation and not a criticsm.

To vocalize offense to such a comment would seem to trivialize the true persecution which many undeservedly face.

We have sailed from New York, Philadelphia,and from Fla, and I would agree there is a different atmosphere on the different cruises. This has nothing to do with race as I couldn't tell you if there was a different racial make up on anyof the cruise. Being from the midwest there were several times as we were talking to people from the east coast once they found out we were from the midwest they were no longer interested in what we had to say. ie. We had dinner companions that had very little to say to us until on the second night we somehow got on the subject of grocery stores. We mentioned thay we had been to a Fred Meiers (SP?) and as soon as they realized we knew about a East Coast store we must not be the country bumpkins they originally thought, so they started talking to us like we were long lost relatives. This has happened on several cruises even from Fla but with more East Coasters sailing out of East Coast cities there just seems to be a different atmosphere on those sailings.

Keith

I'm from the East Coast and don't care what race, nationality, where you live, etc., as long as you're a nice person, that's all that matters! I have met some of the nicest people from the Midwest! I don't know what a Fred Meiers store is though.

I am absolutely stunned that the OP felt the need to comment about the racial make-up of the cruise. But even more stunned by anyone who doesn't see the offense in the statement. Comment on a person's behavior or attitude, not the color of their skin.

I am absolutely stunned that the OP felt the need to comment about the racial make-up of the cruise. But even more stunned by anyone who doesn't see the offense in the statement. Comment on a person's behavior or attitude, not the color of their skin.

OMG, a racist in our midst. Geez, get a life.

Thank you

And while the OP may not have meant it as some of us took it, although for the life of me I still can not figure it out... -why the separation? That is what I dont think some people understand.. It's not a white thing/black thing.. Its an US thing.. ;)

I dont care who you are where you are from.. Lets just have a good time~!

We are all this together!

Stunned? Why? I am a MWF and I thought it was interesting. Why was it interesting to me? Because I would have been interested if the op said there were more non english speaking people or more military or more females, etc,etc, etc. So what does that make me? I'd really like to know.:confused:

Stunned? Why? I am a MWF and I thought it was interesting. Why was it interesting to me? Because I would have been interested if the op said there were more non english speaking people or more military or more females, etc,etc, etc. So what does that make me? I'd really like to know.:confused:

What is a MWF? You stumped me with that lol

I think if a poster said there were more non-English speaking cruisers that would be different because then there is a language barrier.. Its not singling out any one group.. To say more females would be interesting to most males.. (and some females..).. I think what most of us did not understand was the relevancy to color?

I know I know the OP apologized.. But this is still an interesting discussion

:)

It's meaningless in reference to the cruise review.. It's offensive to some that someone would actual notice it and think it's a point worth mentioning...

I don't think it is meaningless at all in reference to the cruise review. You don't think that cruise lines look into these demographics themselves. Of course they do, it all plays into how the cruise product you are receiving has been designed.

Again, its not the cruise line doing anything racially incorrect, it is all based on the research they have done to cater to people from different ethnicities, walks of life, places around the world. Does this offend you that they do this research?.....

If someone were to go on a cruise out of Texas that has alot of southern folk on it. Bet ya the overall cruise product is tweaked a little bit to cater more to the crowd that is on the ship.

When i ship goes over to Europe, they change the dinner times on alot of sailings, even alot of the food to cater more to the needs of the majority of folk who are on any given sailing.

I said it in my first post, and i'll say it again. Your being way over dramatic and brininging race into something where it was not even present anymore then just an observation as far as i am concerned.

All you have to do is say "boo" and people get offended nowadays.........

I could not agree more with you. If the OP said Boy there were a lot of Italians on the ship I would have in no way been offended. If someone said boy those italians are all in the mob than I can see someone maybe getting a little upset

Archived