Our Destiny 5 night cruise was great, but we will go back to longer cruises.

fig414

Our 6th Carnival cruise was a great one, but starkly different than any other cruise we have ever been on The "Casual" aspect was something we expected but never to the extreme we saw. We had a wonderful time, as usual, and the observations and comments are mine and mine only and are not meant to judge, so please keep this in mind.

I don't want to write a review but I'll try to keep the comments in time order. the boarding process was excellent and we got on fast by arriving early by 1130 on by 1220. We loved the zone calling out procedure so you can just sit and wait to be called. I've read some things about the ship good and bad. I agree with some of both. Destiny is certainly showing wear. The ship did look great after drydock with all new carpeting and was very clean. Lots of little problems, the main one was the elevators. It didn't affect us much as we always walk down from wherever we are and only walk up a few flights. At every bank of elevators there was ALWAYS at least one not working, often times 2, and sometimes 3 not working. I can see people being pissed at that.

This is a big problem for the older folks (we're late 40's so it didn't bother us) and in general for everyone if you are on a lower deck. The TV situation was horrendous. This too can be very minor for some and aggravating to others. We fell in the middle here. The ship lost the signal for most of the 5 days. No Sunday night or Monday night football. No CNN for basic news watching, etc etc. Way, way more than any Carnival ship we've ever been on.What are you gonna do, I guess, or is it because the ship is older? Who knows. As for the crowd, everyone was very nice, with tons of first time pax. The crew and food was wonderful as usual. The main reason this will be our last 5 nighter was the new Carnival attitude towards CASUAL. We fully expected the casual aspect with the shorter cruise and the new directives for dinner that I had seen written about here. We just didn't expect the sneakers, sandals, tea shirts, tank tops, and baseball caps at dinner. "Cruise Elegant" night (only 1) was much better. Most were dressed very nicely, especially the women. Even the men dressed way nicer and put on nicer shirts and pants and left the hats in their cabin. Of course there was not one tux, and fewer suits, and many fewer ties. This is not to criticize or complain, it's just the way it is now and we think it is probably less prevalent on longer cruises. The night time entertainment was good and we were up until at least 2 each night and always found fun times and people. We had NO trouble with finding a chaise at 11AM on either sea day anywhere we wanted at the main pool area. That was very strange indeed. Never a chair hog. I almost forgot about those chaises. People were commenting all over about how many were broken and missing pieces. We got used to them. The debark was our best ever with the new airport style carousels. Just great.

In conclusion, we had a great time despite the over casual dress. Hopefully our 8 day Miracle with 2 "Elegant" nights next year will have fewer baseball hats and a couple tuxes.

That's the only thing wrong with 5 day cruises..... far too short!!!

We did a 13day B2B recently.... even that was too short!!

Maybe next time we'll do a B2B2B!!!:)

We were on the Destiny on 9/21 .... didn't really notice a difference in the dress code... most people dressed nicely in the dining room.

That's the only thing wrong with 5 day cruises..... far too short!!!

We did a 13day B2B recently.... even that was too short!!

Maybe next time we'll do a B2B2B!!!:)

We were on the Destiny on 9/21 .... didn't really notice a difference in the dress code... most people dressed nicely in the dining room.

Two things... I'm jealous about your 13-day B2B. Someday I hope to do a B2B, but I don't think I could ever get hubby to do a B2B2B.

Secondly, glad to hear people were still dressing nicely on the Destiny.

Seriously....wasnt this posted earlier?

LMAO, you are indeed correct, sir. good eye.

boooo OP. this is still a narrowly-focused review, with more emphasis on your minor pet peeves than a more objective analysis. you said you weren't going to write a review, and you were right! best of luck on your longer, 'more formal' cruises if that's what you want.

haven't you already got enough attention?

LMAO, you are indeed correct, sir. good eye.

boooo OP. this is still a narrowly-focused review, with more emphasis on your minor pet peeves than a more objective analysis. you said you weren't going to write a review, and you were right! best of luck on your longer, 'more formal' cruises if that's what you want.

haven't you already got enough attention?

I second that!! Enough already...:eek:

Our 6th Carnival cruise was a great one, but starkly different than any other cruise we have ever been on The "Casual" aspect was something we expected but never to the extreme we saw. We had a wonderful time, as usual, and the observations and comments are mine and mine only and are not meant to judge, so please keep this in mind.

I don't want to write a review but I'll try to keep the comments in time order. the boarding process was excellent and we got on fast by arriving early by 1130 on by 1220. We loved the zone calling out procedure so you can just sit and wait to be called. I've read some things about the ship good and bad. I agree with some of both. Destiny is certainly showing wear. The ship did look great after drydock with all new carpeting and was very clean. Lots of little problems, the main one was the elevators. It didn't affect us much as we always walk down from wherever we are and only walk up a few flights. At every bank of elevators there was ALWAYS at least one not working, often times 2, and sometimes 3 not working. I can see people being pissed at that.

This is a big problem for the older folks (we're late 40's so it didn't bother us) and in general for everyone if you are on a lower deck. The TV situation was horrendous. This too can be very minor for some and aggravating to others. We fell in the middle here. The ship lost the signal for most of the 5 days. No Sunday night or Monday night football. No CNN for basic news watching, etc etc. Way, way more than any Carnival ship we've ever been on.What are you gonna do, I guess, or is it because the ship is older? Who knows. As for the crowd, everyone was very nice, with tons of first time pax. The crew and food was wonderful as usual. The main reason this will be our last 5 nighter was the new Carnival attitude towards CASUAL. We fully expected the casual aspect with the shorter cruise and the new directives for dinner that I had seen written about here. We just didn't expect the sneakers, sandals, tea shirts, tank tops, and baseball caps at dinner. "Cruise Elegant" night (only 1) was much better. Most were dressed very nicely, especially the women. Even the men dressed way nicer and put on nicer shirts and pants and left the hats in their cabin. Of course there was not one tux, and fewer suits, and many fewer ties. This is not to criticize or complain, it's just the way it is now and we think it is probably less prevalent on longer cruises. The night time entertainment was good and we were up until at least 2 each night and always found fun times and people. We had NO trouble with finding a chaise at 11AM on either sea day anywhere we wanted at the main pool area. That was very strange indeed. Never a chair hog. I almost forgot about those chaises. People were commenting all over about how many were broken and missing pieces. We got used to them. The debark was our best ever with the new airport style carousels. Just great.

In conclusion, we had a great time despite the over casual dress. Hopefully our 8 day Miracle with 2 "Elegant" nights next year will have fewer baseball hats and a couple tuxes.

Wow, just like Yogi Berra said, "Deja vu all over again."

Archived