QE2 funnel to be removed in Dubai

jleq

Welcome back PM, where have you been? Travelling the world on cruise ships?;)

I sooooo need a TA on QM2! My hubby is missing her more than I am:( :(

Sharon

Thank you, Sharon. I need a TA bad, too. I've never done one and my dream is to go to England one day. It is a life long dream and I will make it one day.:)

I bet that poor animal is embarrassed to death to go out looking like that.

Gari.

Are you talking about Jean Luc? Not on your life. His Daddy was national standard poodle stud of Canada, so he feels he's really, really cool!! Haircut and all!

Scary avatar, PM.

Sir Martin:cool:

But not half as scary as mine, I'll bet. Don't I look ferocious. By the way, I managed to give the staff a superbly hard time today. Went out at 5.20am and didn't come back at all. They were running around like headless chickens. Unfortunately I made the serious error falling fast asleep in the neighbours garden. At 6.30pm the head serf spotted me and used a step ladder to clamber over the fence and he grabbed me before I woke up. He's clearly not quite as doddery as I thought he was. Fun while it lasted though.

Lord Stanley

• 2 weeks later...

Having come off of a QE2 trip about a month ago (and, needless to say, loving it), reading the news about the Dubai changes nearly made me throw up while reading it. I live very near to the Queen Mary in Long Beach and have been on her many, many, times. One of the things that most people regret most about the changes that were made to the Mary over the years is that the Boiler Rooms were removed, as well as many of the cabins, as these are an integral part of the ship and her history. It is unbelievably sad that Dubai would make the same mistake. I can only imagine that people in Dubai would be willing to pay more per night for an authentic experience, rather than just-another-hotel room (regardless of how high class it is). After all, in any large city in the world you can fine nice hotel rooms (really nice!), but the QE2, as-is, is an authentic experience that is unique to itself. It's a part of history - a one-of-a-kind - and, although it's just my opinion, I can only imagine that that would generate the highest revenue.

Well, I guess you can expect nothing better from the new owners, no respect, perhaps especially no respect for an icon of the West. Perhaps they will enjoy defacing her.

Can Carnival be held responsible for this either ? No, they are a hard nosed, profit-making organisation, presumably they sold to the highest bidder.

But if the Dutch can save the Rotterdam (as they magnificently have), then why on earth can't the QE2 be saved for the UK ?

This is typical of the UK's lack of respect for her own history. Shame on us all...

hello all & hope everyone is well - i too have very bad feelings toward selling qe2 to dubai - i understand that nothing is sacred today & somehow we have lost all respect for history - nothing can overcome the smell of money - some of the norway group ranted & raved when she went to the breakers but in retrospect i would have much rather seen qe2 take the same route as hard as that would have been to witness as opposed to her becoming some sort of side show freak - just my .02

Archived