Cruiseship Horn Question.

Hi Everyone,

I know this is my second cruiseship horn question on here LOL, but I LOVE it. I am thinking about another cruise for next year with family. Maybe to Bermuda or Bermuda and Caribbean, don't know. When does the captain start blowing the horn? Last year, for me, it was, since departure time was 4:30 p.m., it was then, but does it vary by cruise and captain? For you all, when does he blow the horn, so when if I go on a cruise, I can make sure my camera is rolling for that fantastic experience. Hope to hear from you all soon. Thank you in advance,

Nick

It (whistle blowing) varies from ship to ship, captain to captain, etc.

Some captains will have it blown everyday at noon, just before the Navigator's Report From The Bridge.

I love sailing from Pier 35, San Francisco. The ship will give three blasts on the whistle, to alert others that the ship will be backing into the shipping channel. Often, before going under the Golden Gate Bridge, they will give another long blast, in salute to those pedestrians on the bridge waving at the ship.

As noted above, there are some great examples on http://www.youtube.com including one titled something like "QM2 Singing in Sydney".

Archived