using text messaging as a form of communication on ship

ready2sail76

Hey Everyone,

I have checked with my cell phone carrier for text messaging rates and it would actually be cheaper to text than to buy walkie-talkies. My question is will texting work while on the water. We wanted to use this to keep in touch with each other and our daughter who may use Camp Carnival. Anyone have experience with this.

Also do they give you a beeper or cell phone for children in Camp Carnival to keep in touch. She is 10 years old and we will not allow her to sign herself out, but don't want her to feel like she has to stay there either.

Thanks

What are the beeper/phone policies onboard? How can you contact us?

Parents with CHILDREN 3 or UNDER will be provided with a beeper/phone for the duration of the cruise. Beepers/Phones will be provided for those parents with children 4 and 5 years depending on the ship’s availability. Beepers/phones must be returned to Camp Carnival BEFORE 10:00pm on the last night of the cruise or you will be charged for it. There is no charge for this service, but there will be a charge for the beeper/phone on your Sail and Sign if the beeper/phone is lost or not returned in good condition.

Parents will be beeped/called if the child is misbehaving, ill, seriously unhappy, asking continuously for their parents and in case of an emergency. The beeper/phone is used for ship-use only; the range does not extend beyond the ship.

Hey Everyone,

I have checked with my cell phone carrier for text messaging rates and it would actually be cheaper to text than to buy walkie-talkies. My question is will texting work while on the water. We wanted to use this to keep in touch with each other and our daughter who may use Camp Carnival. Anyone have experience with this.

Also do they give you a beeper or cell phone for children in Camp Carnival to keep in touch. She is 10 years old and we will not allow her to sign herself out, but don't want her to feel like she has to stay there either.

Thanks

On the Glory 9-20 (Western) sailing I used my cell phone to text while at sea. We have AT&T and we have the family text on our phones. I could receive text messages free and it cost me .50 to send one. No charges from the ship. It was this way at all of the ports. Our kids were at home (in the US) and I wanted to stay in touch and this was the cheapest way. It did not cost them anything to send or receive text messages to us.

On the Glory 9-20 (Western) sailing I used my cell phone to text while at sea. We have AT&T and we have the family text on our phones. I could receive text messages free and it cost me .50 to send one. No charges from the ship. It was this way at all of the ports. Our kids were at home (in the US) and I wanted to stay in touch and this was the cheapest way. It did not cost them anything to send or receive text messages to us.

We have been trying to figure this out too -- and decided against the texting for the reasons I will mention -- we decided to use the walkie talkies - and be careful NOT to disrupt other passengers with them, I promise! ;)

We also have AT&T -- after speaking with the International rep for AT&T she really advised me to not use my phone at all and especially not to text on board. The reason is..... the phone has to be on to text (at least ours do) and IF a call comes in while it is on and they leave a voice mail -- I am charged the $2.50 per minute (30 sec and up = 1 min charge) while they jabber because my phone was on. Of course the texting is costing me 50 cents a pop -- and with DH and I and our friends it would be just to say - -'meet me at....' or 'where are you' ..... and that could add up for 9 nights on our cruise........

The rep also advised me to NOT turn on my phone in port till we are well past the '8-mile' radius of the ship. Because on Carnival within the 8 mile radius of the ship we still get zapped the $2.50 per min phone charge - even if we are standing on dry ground.

Outside that it is 99cents per min standard or a package can be purchased.

Ok - so you may still prefer the texting - but I just wanted to pass on what I was told this afternoon. If your daughter has her cell phone on and her friends call her -- well..... $2.50 x____ _____ min" :eek:

The walkie talkies we are using were about $40 so I thought that was not too bad.

I think we will just 'type fast' and use email to keep in touch with our kids and parents back home - maybe find a spot in a port with less expensive email a few times......

Oh - I see it's "ready to sail" who has the daughter in Camp Carnival, not Hurricane Girl .... I think in my answer I combined your comments into one poster -- sorry......

The rep also advised me to NOT turn on my phone in port till we are well past the '8-mile' radius of the ship. Because on Carnival within the 8 mile radius of the ship we still get zapped the $2.50 per min phone charge - even if we are standing on dry ground.

I don't know about the rest of the stuff your rep told you, but this is patently untrue. Not only does Carnival shut off the tower when in port, I doubt the tower has a not power to transmit/receive for 8 miles.

On top of that, the ships tower, when in port, has no way to know if you are a cruise guest or not, so if this were true it would hi-jack the signal from everyone in that radius.

We used our blackberrys (work) to text on board Victory.. We traveled with another couple who are close friends (and he is my boss).. He said the phone service was Verizon and he though the text messaging and email service was another system... ?

Anyway the text message worked intermittantly but the email service worked fine:)

I don't know about the rest of the stuff your rep told you, but this is patently untrue. Not only does Carnival shut off the tower when in port, I doubt the tower has a not power to transmit/receive for 8 miles.

On top of that, the ships tower, when in port, has no way to know if you are a cruise guest or not, so if this were true it would hi-jack the signal from everyone in that radius.

Well, that last statement certainly makes sense! I guess these reps are like so many others - keep calling till you get the answer you want! :rolleyes:

I have alltel and they offer and international plan but it does not include texting. I plan on calling and see exactly which service I have because one of the services offers Mexico calls for free. I do not mind paying for a few texts but do not want to spend a small fortunate on them. I still have 3 weeks and will need to do this in the next 2 weeks.

In addition while sailing on the spirit, we were close enough to the shore to pick up Mexico's telcel and our phones had that service showing instead of cellular at sea while on the ship!

We have been trying to figure this out too -- and decided against the texting for the reasons I will mention -- we decided to use the walkie talkies - and be careful NOT to disrupt other passengers with them, I promise! ;)

We also have AT&T -- after speaking with the International rep for AT&T she really advised me to not use my phone at all and especially not to text on board. The reason is..... the phone has to be on to text (at least ours do) and IF a call comes in while it is on and they leave a voice mail -- I am charged the $2.50 per minute (30 sec and up = 1 min charge) while they jabber because my phone was on. Of course the texting is costing me 50 cents a pop -- and with DH and I and our friends it would be just to say - -'meet me at....' or 'where are you' ..... and that could add up for 9 nights on our cruise........

Ok - so you may still prefer the texting - but I just wanted to pass on what I was told this afternoon. If your daughter has her cell phone on and her friends call her -- well..... $2.50 x____ _____ min" :eek:

The walkie talkies we are using were about $40 so I thought that was not too bad.

I think we will just 'type fast' and use email to keep in touch with our kids and parents back home - maybe find a spot in a port with less expensive email a few times......

Oh - I see it's "ready to sail" who has the daughter in Camp Carnival, not Hurricane Girl .... I think in my answer I combined your comments into one poster -- sorry......

If you are only wanting to use your phone to text people on board, then yes walkie-talkies are the best way to go. ;)

We have used our phones on most cruises we have been on. (always AT&T) In US ports (San Juan & St. Thomas included) it does not charge roaming it only takes your min. We have never been charged for voice mails coming in. We have never used talk time while at sea only text msg.

You do NOT have to be 8 miles from the ship before you are not charged ship time. At all ports, before we even dock, we are on the ports cell towers and it stays that way until we are a long way away from the port. We have even picked up other cell towers as we sail past some of the islands. We had not noticed that until this past May sailing.

If you are in Mexico and using AT&T the min. charge is not that bad. (even if you do not sign up for international calling) Not sure where you are going??

Yes, you are right in another post you made. It depends on who you talk to at the AT&T int. calling center. I have gotten so many different replies from them it is unreal. I wish they would get their act together. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise!!! :)

There have been issues on cruises we've been on with walkie talkies being used while people were trying to nap by the pool. An elderly gentleman was yelling "I can't hear you and his walkie talkie was scratchy etc It got a bit ugly before cooler heads prevailed/intervened etc

So, if you are in Puerto Rico or USVI and send a text, will you be charged just as if you were at home? (I have ATT).

I keep getting conflicting info. I'm really only interested in text messaging, not making phone calls at sea, to keep in touch with family. I read on the ATT website that it is .50 to send a text while at sea or international, but is that the same if you have unlimited text?

So, if you are in Puerto Rico or USVI and send a text, will you be charged just as if you were at home? (I have ATT).

I keep getting conflicting info. I'm really only interested in text messaging, not making phone calls at sea, to keep in touch with family. I read on the ATT website that it is .50 to send a text while at sea or international, but is that the same if you have unlimited text?

With AT&T, we have unlimited mobile to mobile and unlimited text msg. for our plan. While you are in PR & USVI it is like being in the US. We can text & it is free (unlimited text plan). While on the ship & other non US islands we receive text free and it cost us .50 to send a text.

To call: while in PR & USVI it is like being in the US, We can call someone that has AT&T and it is free and if we call anyone else it takes our min., no roaming. While in non US ports & on the ship we are charged the international rates to call anyone.

With AT&T, we have unlimited mobile to mobile and unlimited text msg. for our plan. While you are in PR & USVI it is like being in the US. We can text & it is free (unlimited text plan). While on the ship & other non US islands we receive text free and it cost us .50 to send a text.

To call: while in PR & USVI it is like being in the US, We can call someone that has AT&T and it is free and if we call anyone else it takes our min., no roaming. While in non US ports & on the ship we are charged the international rates to call anyone.

Ah, thank you! It's good to hear this information first hand from someone, thank you again:)!

My daughter and I tried to text on our last cruise, but service was intermittent at best, and usually we wouldn't get the messages until hours after we sent them. Since we were trying to text to stay in touch and do the "meet me at wherever" thing, it didn't do us a bit of good.

[quote name=My daughter and I tried to text on our last cruise' date=' but service was intermittent at best, and usually we wouldn't get the messages until hours after we sent them. Since we were trying to text to stay in touch and do the "meet me at wherever" thing, it didn't do us a bit of good.

.[/quote]

Well, I am glad we decided to take the walkie-talkies. We WILL be careful using them as I certainly do NOT want to disrupt someone else's vacation with rudeness.... I've read SO many negatives about this on these threads.

I doubt we use them much ... just if our plans and 'position' change -- we are with friends and I have an idea we will be split up more than together.... so we'd like to be in touch.

We are going to the Mexican Riviera -- I still don't plan to use the phone on land much -- I just do not think that is a good use of my vacation dollars! :eek:

After our Alaskan cruise we had $100 charges on our bill - but being our first time we were not expecting ANY from what our carrier had told us - -so I am thankful we did not use them much!!!

Thanks for the info from those of you 'in the know' - - we will just be very moderate in our use -- and use that "cheap on board email system" for staying in contact with family...:rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

I emailed Sprint regarding service for an upcoming trip on the Liberty (Miami, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten). I asked specifically about voice and text both at sea and in port. Not what I wanted to hear since I had hoped to be able to text our daughter to stay in contact but at least they gave a fairly thorough reply, below:

If the ship you will be on has an antenna built in you can use your phones at Sea and the rate is $2.49 per minute. At sea will be voice only, capability.

Sprint does not currently support texting while traveling out of the country. Messages that go through will be rated based on your texting plan or .20 per text if you do not have a texting plan. Please note you will receive a welcome text when you arrive in a new destination with information specific to that destination; this is a free message from Sprint.

Sprint has towers in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, so you usage will come out of your plan minutes.

In St. Maarten, the usage rate is $1.99 per minute.

If you call each other at Sea or St. Maarten you will be billed $2.49 or $1.99 per phone, per minute. You would be calling an American number so you will dial 001 in St Maarten and 1 on the Ship, then the area code and number. Sprint to Sprint is not applicable out of the country.

If I were you on the Ship, I would pick up a cheap set of walkie talkies. They work great on a ship.

You will need to contact Sprint to add the capability (no charge to add) either by e-chat or 888 226 7212 Option 2, and please have your PIN# or answer to security question handy.

i have sprint and on my last cruise, texting did not work period or calling out/on at sea or on land. i believe that if you do not have an international phone, it's not going to work, but i could be wrong.

Many posters have said Sprint phones don't work on these ships.

Well, I am glad we decided to take the walkie-talkies. We WILL be careful using them as I certainly do NOT want to disrupt someone else's vacation with rudeness.... I've read SO many negatives about this on these threads.

I doubt we use them much ... just if our plans and 'position' change -- we are with friends and I have an idea we will be split up more than together.... so we'd like to be in touch.

We are going to the Mexican Riviera -- I still don't plan to use the phone on land much -- I just do not think that is a good use of my vacation dollars! :eek:

After our Alaskan cruise we had $100 charges on our bill - but being our first time we were not expecting ANY from what our carrier had told us - -so I am thankful we did not use them much!!!

Thanks for the info from those of you 'in the know' - - we will just be very moderate in our use -- and use that "cheap on board email system" for staying in contact with family...:rolleyes:

Post back, I'll bet by noon of the 2nd day, the'll be in your cabin sitting, turned off.

• 6 months later...

Alltel told my bf that being he has UNLIMITED TEXTING he can send and receive text messages while he's out of the US at no additional charge as long as his phone works of course. He confirmed this with 2 different alltel customer service reps and they both told him the same thing. We're sailin on Saturday I'll let you know after we come back if it's true or not!

Sorry if this has been posted but here is info if you are on AT&T. All of Carnival's fleet of ships does provide access while at sea.

$2.49 a minute on board the ship for voice calls

$.50 for each text message sent

Standard charges (as if you were at home) for receiving text messages or picture/video messages

Picture/Video Messages are $1.30 per sent message

Data rates (internet) is $.0195 per KB that you download

Each country has different per minute voice rates but I will say that Mexico is only .99 a minute which makes me happy :)

Hope this helps answer some questions about cell phone use.

Archived