Anyone else having Economy + Cruising thoughts

GeekyMom

I think that this is a great topic. We're in good shape financially, but as someone said, everything you read and see on TV is doom and gloom. Are things going to get worse? For us, I don't see much of an impact (maybe I'm naive) because I have a secure job in an industry that is going well (we actually have 3rd quarter profits that exceeded our targets). At the same time I feel guilty for spending on something lavish like a cruise when one, that money may be needed in the future (doom and gloom is true) and two, so many people are hurting financially by this crisis.

Speaking of doom and gloom, my husband is in the mortgage industry for a home builder. Business is a lot slower than in previous years. Sure, there is some concern, but we figure as long as we have enough to carry us for at least 6 mos. in liquid reserves and have the cash to pay for everything else (not credit), why wouldn't we still cruise?

With the things the way they are in the current economy, I am sure we all have a ton of stress. Cruising is a great way to relieve some of that pressure. (Even if I eventually need to eat Raamen Noodles every dinner...:D )

We have been talking about booking a cruise next July to Bermuda with friends for months now. We have been waiting for the DH's work to open up the vacation calendar to make sure he could get the time off. Well he got the time off last week, but with the economy the way it is we decided to hold off booking for a couple of reasons:

1. DH's job and friend's job not secure in unstable economy (office furniture and car dealership).

2. We are seeing dramatic decreases in cruise prices after the final payment dates due to ships not being full - even for holiday weeks.

Because we could drive to NY (12 hour drive) to take this cruise, we decided to make sure everyone had the time off and wait and see what happens with jobs and cruise prices as we get closer to the sailing date. If we everything goes okay with jobs and we see a price break we will book the cruise, otherwise we will plan an impromptu vacation somewhere that we can afford during the time we have off. I sure hope its this cruise but better to be safe than sorry.

I can understand the hesitation, but consider your own circumstances. If you don't have debt, and you have cash in the bank to cover a few (or several) months' expenses in case of emergency, then cruise and enjoy. If those circumstances don't exist, then it's premature to cruise even if the economy is vibrantly healthy.

I agree 100%. We would not cruise if we knew that it was going to weaken our ability to last 3 months without an income. With prices droping so much in air and cruises right now, we jumped on a cruise in January. Don't ask us when we think we'll be able to afford to leave Hawaii with the expensive Air coming our way again after this. So we are going to enjoy it but not hold our breath for the next time we'll be able to cruise :(

Archived