Carnival is allowing this again.....

southbayer

I am doing this because it is too easy to use the cruise money for something that "comes up". I plan, save, and scrimp so that it is a breeze to cruise, and then my husband will go and buy a $1000 tool or want to take a $500 fishing trip. If the money is already spent, it makes it easier for me to pay for what we want to do on the cruise. I hope that makes sense. It's like continuing to put the money aside for a car payment you are used to when the car is paid off. You are used to the money not being there. Makes it feel SAFE. And yes, we will spend every penny of that OBC.

Thanks for the reply. Let me pick your brains a minute :p. Both my boys are under 18, and they will be sharing a cabin too. When you had it added to their OBC accounts, were you set for a cash account, or did you have to do anything else.

It's pretty tricky, as I can't actually set up a cash account for them through the funpass set up. Since they are minors, I can only allow or disallow charging privies on my card through my funpass.

So did this take care of your need to go set up the cash at the purser or at check-in? Could you tell me more about how that worked out.

I hate cash. (OK, well I don't hate it :p) I hate carrying it around, and I don't want to go to the window and embarkation with a fistfull of dollars to set up the onboard account.

I haven't sailed yet so not sure how it will work on checkin. Both of mine are under 18 also and I just set them up with my credit card without charging privies but I figure if they have OBC on there already I shouldn't have to do anything else. Hopefully.

Thanks for the reply. Let me pick your brains a minute :p. Both my boys are under 18, and they will be sharing a cabin too. When you had it added to their OBC accounts, were you set for a cash account, or did you have to do anything else.

It's pretty tricky, as I can't actually set up a cash account for them through the funpass set up. Since they are minors, I can only allow or disallow charging privies on my card through my funpass.

So did this take care of your need to go set up the cash at the purser or at check-in? Could you tell me more about how that worked out.

I hate cash. (OK, well I don't hate it :p) I hate carrying it around, and I don't want to go to the window and embarkation with a fistfull of dollars to set up the onboard account.

When you purchase the gift certificate online, it doesn't ask for an age. It asks for the name of the person. I put On Board Credit on line number one of address and then the booking number on line two of the address. I printed out my receipt, my e-mail receipt and then received a third receipt from the Carnival Gifts and Services Admin office stating that the gift certificate has been applied as On Board Credit. Try it with one certificate and if they refuse to let you use it for them, switch it to your room. Either way, it will be OBC.

When you purchase the gift certificate online, it doesn't ask for an age. It asks for the name of the person. I put On Board Credit on line number one of address and then the booking number on line two of the address. I printed out my receipt, my e-mail receipt and then received a third receipt from the Carnival Gifts and Services Admin office stating that the gift certificate has been applied as On Board Credit. Try it with one certificate and if they refuse to let you use it for them, switch it to your room. Either way, it will be OBC.

I get that part. What I'm wondering is: I only have three options for their accounts in the funpass set up

1. Member with charging privies--meaning they'll get to charge on my credit card.

2. Member without charging privies--meaning they won't get to use their card for ANY purchases

3. Set up account at another time (probably check in)

So what I'm wondering is if I have the fun dollars applied to their accounts like you described, would I select "Set up account at another time" and then would it automatically be a cash account, or will I then have to give them Cash to set it up, but they'd just have an additional $200 on top of the cash I applied. I'm planning on only giving the kids the $200 each for their accounts.

I tried to get the carnival rep I spoke to to help, but she contradicted herself 2 times, and when I asked for a supv. she left me on hold for 35 minutes. I had to hang up when I got another call I had to deal with.

It sounds like this is going to be more trouble than its worth. Ugh. Gonna have to stand in line at the bank before I go for a huge wad of mean ol' cash!:(

• 1 month later...

I hope this works, they told me on the phone I can do it and to call if there's a problem. I have almost $400 in prepaid visa cards (all $25 denominations). I attempted to buy a $25 gc today. I only got the first confirmation mail a couple hours ago. If it works, I'll dump them all in.

Archived