Ship water - does it contain salt?

UKCruiser_2008

As someone with blood pressure problems I have been reading with concern about how many people swell up on cruises due to the salt in the food, the low altitude etc.

I have read some suspicions that the water provided on the ship still contains quite a bit of salt from the sea. A few others have stated that it most certainly contains very little salt, less than bottled water.

Dos anyone acually know? I tend to drink LOTS of water ... but do not want to end up in hospital after unintentionally drinking a ton of salt!

But I have had a problem with water retention on every cruise but I think it is more from my food being cooked with salt( I never use salt at home)

I have HBP,Hyper uricemia and hemochromatosis so water is very important to me. I have to drink a minimum of 3 L a day to keep the crystal out of my kdneys and blood and to reduce the absorbtion of iron.

The large bottle of water in your cabin( 3.50us) is the same as the one my Doctor recommended I drink at home as it has NO sodium in it at all..I pay.89 at home. My doctor is sending an extra 12.5 mg of my diuretic with me for my cruise to hopefully ward of Crankels( where your ankles dun lop over the top of your socks!!)If all else fails and you can't drink the water buy bottled water on ship and in port.

I would like to know how much we are allowed to bring on in the beginning and in each port?..You can alos notify Carnival and tell them you are on a sodium controlled diet( I will be)

Hope this helps

All cruise ships built in the modern era use reverse osmosis filtration to purify their potable water. This produces a product that is much less likely to contain sodium and other minerals than most municipal water systems which rely on sand bed filtration. If you drink the bottled water from the two major soft drink manufacturers, you are drinking distilled tap water with sodium and other minerals added.

Oh yes, DW just reminded me to define modern era. Say after about 1980.

Doc:D

All cruise ships built in the modern era use reverse osmosis filtration to purify their potable water. This produces a product that is much less likely to contain sodium and other minerals than most municipal water systems which rely on sand bed filtration. If you drink the bottled water from the two major soft drink manufacturers, you are drinking distilled tap water with sodium and other minerals added.

Oh yes, DW just reminded me to define modern era. Say after about 1980.

Doc:D

Ok well that said... what makes us all swell up around the ankles and fingers etc?Seriously for some this is a life and death thing.

Good question pkrchkr. I would like to know the answer to that myself, as I am one of the ones who always swell on the ship.

And here's a little info for those who will immediately answer that "It's not the water.". ...

I have tried drinking only the bottled water on the ship, and had quite good results with that. The swelling was much less. I imagine the food is prepared with ship's water, so even staying strictly with the bottle water, you can't eliminate all ship's water from your diet. So I was not surprised to still get some swelling.

So if reducing the intake of ship's water, reduces the swelling, how can the swelling be totally unrelated to the ship's water?

If I were you, I would just bring my own water. On our cruise 2 weeks ago, I packed a 24-pk of water in a carry-on size suitcase. I did it for convenience rather than health reasons. It worked out perfectly, because we had an empty suitcase for our souvenirs. Nobody here knows for sure how much salt the water contains. They can make an educated guess, but that's really all it is, even if they present it as fact. You may also want to ask Carnival about a low-sodium diet. They may be able to accommodate that. I'm sure you're not the first or last person to ask.

Good question pkrchkr. I would like to know the answer to that myself, as I am one of the ones who always swell on the ship.

And here's a little info for those who will immediately answer that "It's not the water.". ...

I have tried drinking only the bottled water on the ship, and had quite good results with that. The swelling was much less. I imagine the food is prepared with ship's water, so even staying strictly with the bottle water, you can't eliminate all ship's water from your diet. So I was not surprised to still get some swelling.

So if reducing the intake of ship's water, reduces the swelling, how can the swelling be totally unrelated to the ship's water?

IMHO, you're not considering all the cause/effect parameters in your evaluation.

One I would consider, and give more credence, is all the time you spend ON YOUR FEET during a cruise compared with a normal week for you.

The weekly diet and lack of sleep (if that's the case) may also contribute to the "effect" you're experiencing.

IMHO, you're not considering all the cause/effect parameters in your evaluation.

One I would consider, and give more credence, is all the time you spend ON YOUR FEET during a cruise compared with a normal week for you.

The weekly diet and lack of sleep (if that's the case) may also contribute to the "effect" you're experiencing.

Most likely answer to date.

As someone with blood pressure problems I have been reading with concern about how many people swell up on cruises due to the salt in the food, the low altitude etc.

I have read some suspicions that the water provided on the ship still contains quite a bit of salt from the sea. A few others have stated that it most certainly contains very little salt, less than bottled water.

Dos anyone acually know? I tend to drink LOTS of water ... but do not want to end up in hospital after unintentionally drinking a ton of salt!

Where are you going on your cruise that you are going to be at low altitudes?

Bill

Where are you going on your cruise that you are going to be at low altitudes?

Bill

Every cruise is at near "0" altitude. (Sea Level). Most folks live well above sea level and thus its a low altitude environment. Or am I missing something here?:confused:

Every cruise is at near "0" altitude. (Sea Level). Most folks live well above sea level and thus its a low altitude environment. Or am I missing something here?:confused:

Excellent observation and another possible "cause" to be thrown into the swelling ankles evaluation.

Is there a doctor in the house ? :D

Is that fair?

We who have never had ANY swelling are not allowed to say, "Its not the water." Because we do not know [and I admit, we do not].

Yet, you who have had swelling are allowed to say, "It is the water." Even tho you do not know either.

Swelling is VERY common on airplanes, therefore airplanes must use salt water???

I'd guess [and its only a guess] that the swelling or lack of it is a reflection of the individual's health condition subjected to a large change in lifestyle.

Dan

We went on RCCL last year with my aunt. She does have high blood pressure and is on a BP pill that also has a diuretic. Before the cruise, she never had swelling in her feet. On the 2nd night of the cruise her feet started swelling really bad. We had spent the day walking in Key West and it was very hot and humid. That night she propped her feet while sleeping and they were better the next day but not normal so she took a extra diuretic which helped a little. However her feet continued to swell the entire week. Upon returning home, they were back to normal within 2 days. She spoke to her MD and she said she did not know the reason for the swelling but had other patients with the same complaint.

In my case I work as a head cashier at H.D as well as I worked as a restuarant manager for MCD's all the while I had been on a few cruises and never swelled at home.I am on my feet for 9 hours a day and no swelling. I also am an A/C brat basically raised on Airplanes and No swelling.As for sea level versus the plains of Canada I can't speak about that but DH took me to NS( sea level) DM lives in Victoria(sea level) and no swelling all week.I will be calling Carnival to see about a sodium reduced diet. I live a very heathy lifestyle and do not drink but once a year if that,I do not cook with salt and I read alot of labels.The nestlea water is the only one on the market up here that contains NO sodium.I have noticed as well that the food on the ship even the coffee( which in my opinion reminds me of rations)is on the salty side.

I have an intolerance to Purine( that is found in certain foods, like meat) that leave me with the possiblity of getting crystals in my kidneys and blood so water is very important to me.

If we can bring water on when we board can we pick more up in the ports of call?

Excellent observation and another possible "cause" to be thrown into the swelling ankles evaluation.

I always have a problem with swelling when going down to sea level--cruise or no cruise. It takes a few days for my body to adjust.

Ok well that said... what makes us all swell up around the ankles and fingers etc?Seriously for some this is a life and death thing.

This swelling is simply water retention caused by inactivity, the heat and humidity, eating more, drinking more (alcoholic beverages can be a serious problem). Many people find their feet and ankles swelling on extended flights, too. Any sort of drastic change in your daily routine can cause swelling....staying on your feet too long, sitting too long, eating richer foods, etc.

Best bet is to go easy on the booze, walk as much as you can everyday (I'm usually walking on the upper deck as the sun rises...try to get a mile or two in the cool of the pre-dawn - also in the late evening sometimes), take the stairs as often as possible, get plenty or rest and a good nights sleep.

The desalination process removes just about everything, including any of the good stuff, like the minerals, etc.

Not to worry...here is some info you might find useful to calm any fears:

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/drinkseawater.html

And info on reverse osmosis - in use today in Tampa and other places in the US.

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/drinkseawater.html

Israel has one of the largest desalination plants in the world providing almost 35% of their fresh water needs....but several Middle Eastern nations have larger plants.

Water distilled by the reverse osmosis process is the most pure and easiest to produce....much purer than bottled water. The salt is completely removed.

There is NO salt in the desalinated water onboard. If desalinated water had a higher salt content, Tampa wouldn't be distilling 24 million gallons for consumption, nor would Israel, nor would several Middle East countries. San Diego is currently planning the largest plant in the world to take care of fresh water needs for most of southern California. If the process resulted in "salty water", it wouldn't be used.

As for your swelling, a change in routine, food, activity, not getting enoughh rest, sitting too much, heat and humidity - all contribute to it. The ship's water has less salt and minerals than the bottled water you are drinking.

No need to find out the hard way........just bring your own bottled water.

We bring our own, not because of the salt issue but because we don't like the taste.........

I wasn't crazy about the taste or smell of the water. I guess because I am so used to spring water. Not sure. I didn't swell. Or at least I don't think I did. I didn't wear socks which is usually the indictor of swelling (you know... the line where they end).

Archived