How Did Norbert Effect The Sea Of Cortez?

mpalmer

We're off on the Elation on Oct. 18th. We plan on going snorkeling in Cabo San Lucas. I was just wondering if anyone knew how the hurricane effected the water as far as clarity and/or undertow. We were hoping to snorkel in Santa Maria Bay and/or Chileno Bay, but wanted to know what to expect. :rolleyes:

Since both of those areas are on the backside of Baja, the impact should be much less (but you never know for certain). In addition, landfall for the hurricane was a couple of hundred miles north.

Give a shout out to "caboticket" over on the Cabo forum at TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150773-i83-Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

He or one of the other locals will probably know what's going on.

We will also be with you on Elation on the 18th.

Thanks SDPadreFan, I just got on the TripAdvisor site and posted the same question. But, if anyone else has any info please let me know. We still haven't booked our excursion, and really want to know what the water will be like. Hurricane in October, who would of thought....

Actually October is the most active month for tropical storms and hurricanes on the Pacific side. We have been going to Cabo in October for the last 9 years and all but 1 year there was threat of a big storm. We were there for 2 tropical storms and 1 hurricane.

Both Santa Maria and Chilano are very protected coves on the Sea of Cortez. The hurricane made landfall several hundred mile north of Cabo on the Pacific.

Hopefully someone on tripadvisor who is there now will respond. I saw your post over there too!

Well we've got some pretty stupid news people here in south Texas. They said on the TV a couple days ago that there hadn't been a hurricane hit in Oct. since 1968. Anyway, thanks for the reply. So far no one has replied to the TA post.

I think we're going to go ahead and call Cabo San Lucas Tours tomorrow. I'm also concerned about time differences (ship and Cabo) as far as making the tour on time. Since it won't be with the ship we can't get on the tender early. I really can't seem to get the time thing. I've read that Cabo doesn't change their time til the last Sunday in Oct. which is after we're there. But what does that mean to me... I'm sure it will all work out.

Archived