Internet on The Mariner of The Seas

dchinski

In-cabin Internet access is available in all staterooms for a set price. The relatively reasonable charge is $100 for the full week. A tip: the ship only has a limited number of set-ups for Internet access (we were told 40 kits and that they regularly "sell out"); make your request as soon as possible after embarking.

What is a "set-up for internet access for the cabin?

Do I need to bring my computer?

Thanks

Daniel

In-cabin Internet access is available in all staterooms for a set price. The relatively reasonable charge is $100 for the full week. A tip: the ship only has a limited number of set-ups for Internet access (we were told 40 kits and that they regularly "sell out"); make your request as soon as possible after embarking.

What is a "set-up for internet access for the cabin?

Do I need to bring my computer?

I believe the "kits" are some type of adapter that you plug into your own laptop (yes, you need to bring your computer), and then into a port in the cabin. I believe every cabin has the ports, but the ship only has about 40 adapters. Once they're gone, they're gone.

I've used the internet on the Mariner, but it was their computers, at a charge of about $5 for 10 minutes. And it's VERY SLOW. If you will require internet a lot, the better value is probably bringing your own and using the cabin set up.

I have sailed on the Mariner multiple times. Always bring my own laptop. $100 for 7 days 24/7 service. They give you a large phone that you take to your room. Plug it into their data port and then another cable to your computer.

Basically it is a VERY slow phone modem. As slow as it is, it is MUCH better than paying the per minute charge for the ship WIFI connect. The WIFI connect is also very slow and frequently drops your connection completely.

The ship will tell you the CYBER CABIN does not work with VISTA but that is just not true. I have used VISTA with the CYBER CABIN on 5 recent cruises. You only think it is not working properly because it is so slow. Just open a minumum number of windows. If you need to download a lot of data, start the process and go for a walk or do something else on the ship. When you return to your cabin, everything will have downloaded.

Archived