Splitting the flight into two separate tickets

wasup254

In order to save some serious money, I went online and did a RT ticket from santiago, Chile to Lima, Peru, total cost was 246.

I then booked Spirit, one way from Lima to Fort Lauderdale..total 256. a little over 500 dollars.

Everywhere I looked or every way I tried to get creative it was just below or over a thousand one way..with thr length of time getting from Chile to home someties over 24 hrs of travel time and waiting in airports.

My question is has anyone been to the Lima airport, as I am going to have checked luggage and will have to go get it in baggage claim.....I guess I just turn around and go back in the airport, like I am arriving for my Spirit flight..

HAs anyone else done this, either two one ways, that work out better then the RT fare or split the departure and the arival destinations, into two separate flights and airlines

I know there is a fee in Lima to be paid(tourist tax)....

Thanks

Marlene

In order to save some serious money, I went online and did a RT ticket from santiago, Chile to Lima, Peru, total cost was 246.

I then booked Spirit, one way from Lima to Fort Lauderdale..total 256. a little over 500 dollars.

Everywhere I looked or every way I tried to get creative it was just below or over a thousand one way..with thr length of time getting from Chile to home someties over 24 hrs of travel time and waiting in airports.

My question is has anyone been to the Lima airport, as I am going to have checked luggage and will have to go get it in baggage claim.....I guess I just turn around and go back in the airport, like I am arriving for my Spirit flight..

HAs anyone else done this, either two one ways, that work out better then the RT fare or split the departure and the arival destinations, into two separate flights and airlines

I know there is a fee in Lima to be paid(tourist tax)....

Thanks

Marlene

Quite often. I am currently in Peru, flying through Lima on my way to Santiago tomorrow. You did not post which airline you are flying RT Chile/Peru. But since it is an international flight, you will arrive and depart from the same terminal. How did you manage to get a RT ticket from SCL/LIM for $246??? I buy them all the time and usually pay $450.00-500 on Lan Peru. I need to know your secret.

You are correct-get off the SCL/LIM flight, go through immigration, grab your luggage, go through customs, then just recheck in on Spirit. IF you have more than 4 hours between flights, you will have to keep your luggage with you. Most airlines in SA DO NOT show up at the check in counters much more than 4 hours pre flight.

Check your Spirit to the USA flight receipt carefully. Since Spirit is a USA airline, there is a good chance the airport departure tax has already been paid. It is usually included in the ticket price by US airlines for flights TO the USA. You WILL have to pay departure tax when you leave Santiago for Lima.

DO NOT go wandering around outside the Lima airport. ROUGH neighborhood-lots of thieves, scammers, etc outside the airport. IF you have time to waste, wander around the second level. Restaurants, shops, places to rest.

I used LAN to Lima from Santiago 123 each way, RT, if I did one way, it was over 1,000 same airline!

my dates are 11-24 out and back 12-10

Throw away or call and re book the other side, Lima to Santiago for APril, but since I wasnt sure when in April and when I placed April in the return field, I got over 800.

Spirit is 256, so I am not sure if they are including the tax of Lima airport.

SO I am glad to hear it is the same terminal, once I get my bags from baggage claim, then I simply go start the process for the international flight from Lima to Fort Lauderdale.......

Thanks

Marlene

Archived