Snorkel Belize to see AMAZING coral-- what excursions?

drdoman

Hi everyone!

I have been to Belize 4 times - once to Rendezvous Caye, once to river tubing (safe when river was fairly low), and twice to swim with sharks and rays.

This trip I would like to snorkel and see some amazing coral/reef but can't seem to find any excursions (Carnival or private) that offers that. I googled "snorkel Belize" and also Bannister, Ambergis Caye, Caye Caulker, Goff's Caye and from what I read it looks like Bannister and Ambergis are just beaches with no coral, Goff's Caye has a small amount of coral and Caye Caulker is where I went to play with the sharks ( the reef is real nice there but strong currents).

Anyone know about any other excursions that offers great coral sights in Belize or comment on any of the above excursions? Private excursions (name?) or ship excursions (carnival)

Thanks for any help with Belize snorkel trips you know about or have been on.

-- Daryle and Linda

I am having a similar problem. I went to Belize (Ambergris Caye) for two weeks on a land trip. I did Hol Chan and shark Ray Alley. I did see lots of coral around Shark Ray Alley after we visited with the sharks we swam out to the outside of the reef and looked at everything. It was amazing. Not sure if that is what you had in mind... I used Mr. Mitch and his glass bottom boat to take us out but I have no idea how to get in touch with him He is just a local that I was set up with by another local. I know he has all his permits and things in order and we were checked twice by different officers. I was there the first of July and did not find the currents strong at all.

My problems is that I wanted to take 10 yo DD with me to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley however the cruise ship has an age limit of 12 and up. I am worried about doing this alone and making it back to the ship in time since I would have to take Tropic Air. You never know what the weather is going to do and October is still hurricane season so Tropic Air could easily stop flying the small planes. I want to find a good independant tour guide to take us there I will even charter the whole boat if needed but have had no luck.

We did Goff's Caye in March and enjoyed it. We saw some pretty cool coral when we were there. You will see larger coral formations if you snorkel off the boat. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for but we saw a lot of coral types but not real colorful stuff right off the island there was more in the deeper water.

Hi everyone!

...This trip I would like to snorkel and see some amazing coral/reef but can't seem to find any excursions (Carnival or private) that offers that.

I have been doing the same for an upcoming NCL cruise, and with no luck. If anyone knows of a way to accomplish this we would be indebted. When I was on RCCL, they had snorkel boats pick up right from the ship (e.g. no need to tender in). I was surprised to see that NCL had very limited snorkeling offerings.

Archived