Great Stirrup Cay

Soon2Bmtnest

Thanks, any activities other than snorkeling, floating and lounging? Looking for more active type activities?

You can take the two mile hike to the lighthouse. The path is quite stoney. It is hard to do in sandals. I gave up. So wear jogging or hiking shoes for that. There are a few little side palces for scenic viewing along the way.

Is there a nice place to snorkel away from the crowds. We have our own gear. thanks:)

It looked to me as if people were restricted to roped in areas and there was a life guard or security personnel up on the rocks that made sure people did not get out of the designated areas.

I have been on this island only once and am more familiar with Coco Cay. But what it looked like to me was that most of the water surrounding Great Stirrup Cay was pretty rough and rocky. The two swimming areas were in a kind of calm cove. My son and his fiance said the water was wonderful.

Perhaps others can give a more complete answer as to if there are other snorkeling areas that are more secluded.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there the water was very calm. You can walk to the other side of the island. When you get off the tender take a left and you will find a trail. It was not rocky to us at all. I did it in my sandals with no problems. You can dart off the trail in several places and walk over some very sharp rocks to the waters edge. We did a lot of exploring and it was beautiful. We then continued on the trail you will find WWII buildings, old heli pad and a lighthouse. You can keep following the trail and end up at a small dock. We were the only ones there. You can get in and enjoy the place all to yourself. There are many lizards and little hermit crabs wondering around on the trail, it was really fun.

Archived