How many bags do you take?

bigbigbear28

Hi all,

Im going on a 10 night crusie soon and i just wanted to ask how many bags do people usually take? I have one large suitcase a small one plus a carry on bag is this too much as i don't think all my things will fit into the one bag plus i wanted extra room for things that i buy that i will need to bring back home.

Hi,

Most people I know take one large suitcase each, plus an overnight bag that can hold their night clothes and bits and pieces they need on the last night after the main luggage has been put out. We usually start off with the overnight bag folded down inside one of the large cases, then we have room for any souvenirs we might buy. If you don't have to fly to join the ship, it won 't matter if you take an extra bag.:)

How many of you??

For our family (of 4) we took three suitcases, plus an overnight case and a the kids had backpacks. (That was for 12 nights).

(Well I think that's what we took ... my memory may have erased the truth!).:)

Hi Bigbigbear,

I am going on the cruise before you (and have to leave the Dobbies at the purser's desk for you!!!) so am having the same questions pop into my head. I am taking a large suitcase, a small one that will be my cabin bag plus my very big handbag. I have managed to squash quite a bit in my suitcase as most of the clothes are lightweight and I am taking two pairs of thongs, my sneakers and one, maybe two pairs of dressy shoes, I figure that will be plenty. I am trying to minimise what I am taking and have cleverly worked out my wardrobe. Will be wearing my bulky stuff on the way to Sydney for the plane ride which will save space in the suitcase (eg. jeans, sneakers) and have plenty of room to put all clothes flat (bar a couple of pairs of pj's and the formal dress I am buying this weekend to go with my other one that is easy to pack. Have stuffed one change of clothes (3/4 pants and a top in my carry on along with one of the pairs of thongs and my bathers) in case of lost luggage and have packed lots of mini bottles of shampoo, liquid soap etc so that I can cram more in (like my makeup bag!)

Hope this helps. Also check out the travel section of the news online webpage because they had handy hints on how to pack your luggage to get more in.

Hi Sonya,

I can't wait to get mr and mrs dobbie we are going to have some fun with them :) Their are 4 of us just the girls, i think ill just take my 2 suitcases and carry on i live in sydney so weight limits aren't an issue. I was just abit worried because i went down to the wharf on the 3/10 to look at the ship and i noticed alot of passengers with only 1 small suitcase and i was thinking uuummm i somehow don't think i will be able to squease all my stuff in one that small. :( I might have to get abit creative with my packing technique i think.:o

You will probably find that you always overpack for your 1st cruise- We did!! :rolleyes: (especially miss 16!!)

Then pack lighter each cruise after that.That is what I have found anyway. :)

I actually under packed for our first last month found my 2 little ones were short clothes. Will pack the extra case next time and be damned. There were somethings i will leave behind next time (travel mugs and corial for kids) and some i will not leave behind like (flippers didnt think i would need them and I will certainly pack loads more norkelling gear the kids loved it)

Hi Bigbigbear28,

As you live in Sydney it doesn't matter how many bags you take on. As long as you can get them to the ship, and they are not over 32 kgs (Health and Safety). One thing is though, you have to be able to store them in your cabin , so if possible, take cases that fit inside each other, as there isn't a lot of room.

Hope this helps..:)

Hi Sonya,

I can't wait to get mr and mrs dobbie we are going to have some fun with them :) Their are 4 of us just the girls, i think ill just take my 2 suitcases and carry on i live in sydney so weight limits aren't an issue. I was just abit worried because i went down to the wharf on the 3/10 to look at the ship and i noticed alot of passengers with only 1 small suitcase and i was thinking uuummm i somehow don't think i will be able to squease all my stuff in one that small. :( I might have to get abit creative with my packing technique i think.:o

Hiya,

My big suitcase is quite large and the little one is carrying just some essentials. I figure if I can either roll/fold my clothes as per the article I saw on the news website, then I will fit everything in, I think you will be able to do the same, they have good diagrams and show you exactly how to pack it so that stuff doesn't get creased. :D

The Dobbies are looking forward to their first cruise, man oh man I have so much stuff going on that Mrs Dobbie is getting restless about her hair appt (lol)

we always have to fly in so its always 1 medium suitcase each plus 1 carry on with another carry on folded up in a case to bring extras home. I have learnt to pack light even to go to Canada we managed with 10 kilos of luggage each for 3 weeks. :D mummsie

Hi,

-, plus an overnight bag that can hold their night clothes and bits and pieces they need on the last night after the main luggage has been put out. -.:)

I hadn't thought of the extra bag. Last year when we cruised on the Gemini our bags were not required until 6am so the night before clothes could be packed away. I suppose with a lot more people to get off they will need the bags the night before.

Frank

Archived