DR falls - why so special?

mommynurse

We will be making a stop in Ocho Rios on Carnival. We have two kids 8&9. We are thinking of doing the horseback ride/swim through the cruiseline (can't find the price yet, has $$ for the price range) We are torn what to do the rest of the time. We thought about spending the rest of the day at the Bamboo Beach Club but I've read some mixed reviews so I'm not sure.

Then we see Dunns River Falls is the "do not miss" thing to do. I am from the Smoky Mountains with TONS of waterfalls so I'm trying to figure out what is so special about this waterfall? I don't see that the ship has a combo deal so we might have to do the falls on our own with a taxi maybe? What makes this waterfall so appealing that I shouldn't miss it?

Any advice?

MommyNurse--You live in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to, so I understand your question. All I can tell you is that a friend of ours from Jamaica said it was the one not to miss thing there (Ocho). I guess some of the differences are that the falls empty into ocean, it has a beach, and you can climb them. Go to webshots and view some of the pictures. It may not be for you. Sorry I am not more help.

I've been in and around tons of waterfalls all around the world. The difference here is that you actually climb up the waterfall, like a giant staircase. It's BIG. It will take a good hour or two depending on how many people in your group and what you do along the way. It takes a bit of strength and stamina and may be a little tough for a 8 & 9 yr old, but if they are up for it, go for it! You hold hands in a long chain and help each other up all the steps. Some people climb it themselves, but going with a guide is recommended as there are certain "routes" that are a little easier to navigate. You will fall, you will slip and you may get bruised a little, but that's all in the fun of it. If you aren't into adventure don't do it. It's an adventure. I've seen 80 yr olds do it with ease, and 20 yr olds struggle, but all of them laughing the entire time!! It's awesome. You literally climb up the middle of the waterfall and that's what's different than other falls.

Archived