Latex Allergy

Sarmty

Hi - I have kind of a strange question.....does anyone know or recall from seeing them, what kind of gloves (latex or vinyl) the food preparers use when handling the food? My sister is highly allergic to latex to the point that she can have a reaction just from the latex dust on the gloves that comes off on the food. We did tell our PVP about it and have filled out the special needs form. He told us that the chefs would specially prepare her food. But, she would love to know in advance what kind of gloves they use.

Until two years ago, I'd never heard of a latex allergy (and was surprised that it was even possible). It greatly affects how things can be treated around one of my co-workers. Very eye-opening.

Since this realization, I've actually paid closer attention to the use of gloves, especially around food prep areas, and healthcare facilities.

On my last two Carnival sailings, those wearing gloves in the food prep areas were using vinyl (looking like sandwich bags with fingers). I saw no latex there whatsoever.

However. . . that was not the case with those using cleaning solvents on the stair rails, window facings, dining tables. Numerous crew members on those duties had one what appeared to be latex.

My research helped me understand that even without direct contact, the powder/talc on the new gloves (to help them go on the hands easier) will carry the latex components when released into the air.

I'm very glad I don't have this situation personally, as I honestly don't know how I'd deal with having to avoid so many things, even the innocent child nearby with a balloon.

I have a latex allergy but it is not as severe as some. Mine is more of a contact allergy. I think i would be okay if i touched something that had touched latex but i still avoid it. I work at walmart and we have a bank up front that hands out balloons. They end up under my clothing racks all the time and i hae to get my friend to get it and pop it and throw it away for me, it is frustrating at times. I developed my latex allergy after being hospitalized for 4 months, i had ten brain surgeries in that time frame and i think my body literally went into overdrive.

My sister's SIL has a baby with many medical problems including spina bifida, he spent his first 8 months of life in the NICU, they told her to never expose him to latex. They use completely latex free in the nicu there. They said the least they are exposed to latex the less likely they are to develop the allergy. It is hard for my other younger nephews to understand why at birthday parties they cant play with latex balloons around him. He is 2 years old and at about a 4 month old's stage of development, the other boys are 3-6 and want to let him look at the balloon so they have had to learn to try to keep him away when they are playing with them, or they ask them not to play with them around him. He is heavy, and has a lot of monitors so it is hard to just move him.

I never realized how many things have latex in them. I have an awful time finding bandages that are truly latex free.

Thanks for the responses. Her allergy comes from being an EMT for many years. The allergy is so bad she had to quit, which really upset her. People without the allergy have no idea how difficult it can be. She gets a reaction from the band of her bra or underwear, carrying certain shopping bags and lots of other everyday things. She can only eat at certain restaurants (the ones that don't use latex gloves) and has to leave if a birthday party comes in with latex balloons. Add to that her severe bee allergy and her son's Autism and you have a very interesting family!

Sarmty, my MIL has developed the same type of allergy. She worked in a hospital blood bank and lab for 30 years. She has to watch the types of shopping bags, band aids, and the list is endless. We have recently bought the cloth "green" shopping bags so we don't have the plastic bags even in the car where she might encounter one. I, too, have a latex allergy. But, mine is not as bad - I cannot use Band aids or anything that has adhesive that sticks to my body (patches or the EKG leads). Mine is not life threatening - I just end up with ulcer type sores wherever the patch was placed.

In our 2 cruises I have only seen food service workers with the clear plastic gloves on. I know those do not have the powder inside. So, hopefully this will help!

Thanks for the responses. Her allergy comes from being an EMT for many years. The allergy is so bad she had to quit, which really upset her. People without the allergy have no idea how difficult it can be. She gets a reaction from the band of her bra or underwear, carrying certain shopping bags and lots of other everyday things. She can only eat at certain restaurants (the ones that don't use latex gloves) and has to leave if a birthday party comes in with latex balloons. Add to that her severe bee allergy and her son's Autism and you have a very interesting family!

That's too bad, I am a Paramedic myself. The introduction of nitrile gloves and non-latex medical supplies has vastly changed our profession. If it hasn't been that long tell her to get back into it because we hardly use latex anymore. She'd probably be fine now.

That's too bad, I am a Paramedic myself. The introduction of nitrile gloves and non-latex medical supplies has vastly changed our profession. If it hasn't been that long tell her to get back into it because we hardly use latex anymore. She'd probably be fine now.

I agree, might be fine with other gloves. I work in a semiconductor clean room and have to wear nitrile gloves. It is a weird allergy. Never had a problem then after 6 months of wearing vinyl gloves..bam. Got a terrible rash on my hands from wearing them.

There is more awareness of the issue than 13 years ago when I started my job and had never heard of it. Now I hear about it more often. Hopefully Carnival is using alternatives. I hope you and your sister have an allergy free cruise! :)

Gilboo - she always carried around the "purple" gloves that were latex free - even kept the car glovebox stocked with them in case she came upon an accident scene (happened more than once). The straw that broke the camel's back was when she went to a recertification class for CPR and had to be taken by the ambulance to the hospital because she reacted to the latex from the dummy they were practicing on.

Archived