La Playita snorkeling and....

gonna go cruising

Sharks or dangerous creatures? Is the snorkeling safe for someone who is not the strongest swimmer in the world? Has anyone snorkeled at Playa Rincon?

Thanks in advance.

We are going to be in Samana on November 24 (NCL Dawn, 11/22/08) and planning on snorkeling at La Playita. Here is what I was able to gather about it on the net (just a collection of unedited quotes):

Several hundred yards back out the highway from the main part of the village is Playita Road. It leads to Playita Beach, about a 15 minutes walk. This little beach is completely undeveloped (as are most of the bays' beaches) and plays host to one of the prettiest snorkeling reefs in the area. As the reef starts just off the beach in shallow water, it is fine for children who are just getting their "water wings" and experiencing their first thrill of discovery of underwater marine life.

La Playita - This small sandy beach near town is just a short walk west of Hotel Villa Serena, and offers excellent reef snorkeling in calm, shallow waters. The safe pool-like environment makes it a great spot for kids to have their first go at donning mask and fins.

Playita - this is the beach closest to town. You can drive there, or walk in about 15 minutes. We walked to it, which was an adventure - you head east on the road that passes El Castillo, turn to the right at the end of the road, and take a left past the hotel. Keep following the path, passing some new construction going up. You will get to a gate which is sometimes open – if it's closed, climb over the wall (there's barbed wire around the gate but if you follow the wall down the wire ends, and its easy to get over). You'll get to another barbed-wire gate where the wire has been pushed down so you can get past, and shortly after you are at a lovely beach with lovely palm trees, and a little fish shack where they will fry you up some lunch.

A short walk from Las Galeras is Playa Playita which is popular with Dominicans and local expats. There is a lot of turtle grass here but at high tide it is possible to get a swim. There is a reef you can swim to for snorkeling.

Las Galeras: You can rent dive and snorkel gear (US $10.00) from the dive shop. You can also buy rather dodgy masks (US $10.00) at the pharmacy in LG. Reef shoes can be purchased in some of the stores in LG or Samana (US $10.00). I would recommend bringing your own snorkel mask if you plan to snorkel. How thrilled you will be about the snorkeling in the DR will depend on your past experience, and the tide, sun, and water conditions. I have snorkeled in Belize, Bermuda, and south east Asia and the DR did not have the wow factor for me. The reefs tend to be close to the surface and the waves break over the reefs, there are also dangerous undercurrents. My suggestion is to try to go at high tide on a sunny calm day. It is worth having a go.

Archived