Rays, Reef & Rum Point With Lunch Excursion

billrco90278

We are considering a 6 hour Princess excursion called "Rays, Reef & Rum Point With Lunch." It goes to Stingray Sandbar, then to a barrier reef for more snorkling. and ends up at Rum Point for a beach and lunch stop. We love snorkling and enjoy relaxing in a beach chair too. It sounds great and we would get to do and see a lot. Or is it too good to be true? One thing that concerns me is that it may try to do too much and spread us too thin.I would really like to hear what those who have done this excursion thought of it.

We (family of four) have done this excursion twice with Nativeway and LOVED it. The crew with Nativeway is excellent and I recommend them. Rum Point is a beautiful place and we are considering going back a third time. When we last did this in Feb 07 the water was very choppy which made the snorkeling difficult and the boat bouncy going out to Rum Point.

We returned last week from this same excursion with Nativeways. They were great. They keep the groups to under 25 people and we get to the rays and reef early enough that you are not sharing it with 100's of other people. This was DH and I's 2nd time with Nativeway and both times enjoyed this excursion quite a bit! We paid $65/pp plus a tip. It was cheaper than going through DCL.

We (family of four) have done this excursion twice with Nativeway and LOVED it. The crew with Nativeway is excellent and I recommend them. Rum Point is a beautiful place and we are considering going back a third time. When we last did this in Feb 07 the water was very choppy which made the snorkeling difficult and the boat bouncy going out to Rum Point.

Thanks for the info. I will check out Nativeway too. How long can we expect to spend on the boat going to the two snorkling spots and then Rum Point beach? Are rough seas common?

When we first went on this excursion in 2005 the seas were very mild which made the snorkeling great and a very nice casual boat ride. In 2007 it was more choppy on the way out to Rum Point. Much smoother going with the waves on the way back. The whole trip took about 4.5 hours. I can estimate that it was about two hours total to travel out to Stingray City, snorkel, and then to Rum Point. We were able to spend about an hour and a half at Rum Point. The trip back took about half an hour. It is a great trip and the Nativeway folks take very good care of you.

Let me know if further ?'s.

When we first went on this excursion in 2005 the seas were very mild which made the snorkeling great and a very nice casual boat ride. In 2007 it was more choppy on the way out to Rum Point. Much smoother going with the waves on the way back. The whole trip took about 4.5 hours. I can estimate that it was about two hours total to travel out to Stingray City, snorkel, and then to Rum Point. We were able to spend about an hour and a half at Rum Point. The trip back took about half an hour. It is a great trip and the Nativeway folks take very good care of you.

Let me know if further ?'s.

Do you remember what was offered for lunch with Nativeways? We are considering this for December. thanks!

Before you finish snorkeling, the crew will pass around a menu from the Wreck Bar & Grill at Rum Point. You just choose what you want and they call ahead and place the order so it's ready when you arrive.

The food was really good, too. Mind you, though, when you're ready for a cold one from the bar, they are pretty expensive! Also, have small bills with you because they will give you your change in the local currency. Same in the gift shop.

We, too, have booked this excursion with Nativeway -- sounds super-fun. We have gotten great communication from Sharon. Looks like we need to bring cash for the excursion & tips -- lunch is included w/water & iced tea, alcoholic drinks are extra -- and also there is a photographer on-board who will offer pictures for you to purchase if you would like. Can't wait!

We booked through Nativeway and went July 30th, my b-day. Great way to spend the day in the Cayman Islands :). We had a great time. My dh was pleasantly surprised with this excursion. I think it was his favorite excursion on this cruise. Went to stringray city, there were only 6 of us on the boat!!!! There were only 2 ships in port that day. We had the boat all to ourselves and the 2 guys were really nice. The one guy got in the water with us and got some sting rays and was very knowledgable. The other boats that were there were very crowded and looked like they didnt get personal attention like we did. One lady came over from another tour and was asking our tour guy questions. Then we went to a really cool reef. The water was a little choppy so I put on a life vest. didnt want to take the chance. My dd loved the snorkeling. It was the first time she actually snorkeled at a reef and saw so many fish. After that we went to rum point. We got to order food from a menu on the boat, and the guy called it in and when we got there it was ready. It was really nice sitting at the tables and taking in rum point. Got to hang out for a good while. We had a nice relaxing time. We then went back to Georgetown and had a little time to go to Margaritaville to shop and then back to the ship. I would recommend Nativeway. It was a really nice excursion and I would do it again.

Jeanne

I second your opinon. We did this excursion in June '05 with 2 teens (ages 18 and 14 then) and they had a blast. I absolutely fell in love with Rum Point. I wished we could have stayed there all day! You will feel like you spent your money well. Not a hoard of people either!

Has anyone done this excursion through Princess? If so, what did you think of it?

"Bill" I wouldn't do it through Princess, especially not at that price! I think NativeWay costs $60 or $65 for adults and less for kids; I'm thinking $45?The other reason is crowding! On our tour with NativeWay, there were about 12 or 14 of us. We had lots of room on the boat to spread out and relax, PLUS we didn't have to worry about some stranger taking our valuables. NativeWay gets their groups together and on the boat quickly, so you get to Stingray City before the cruiseline tours. The boats the cruiselines use probably hold more than 100 people - and it looked like there were 200 onboard! Those people were crammed on that boat shoulder to shoulder. No way they could have gotten the personal attention that we did. We got a lot of up close interaction with the rays and the guides would use our cameras and take pix. We all held them and fed them squid. They also took special care of the few small kids who were a little afraid. NativeWay's guides take really good care of their guests, and the videographer is VERY good. I did NOT buy the DVD of our day and regret it still! I thought it was pricey at about $50 or so, so I didn't buy it, and now I wish I had.

I can't recommend NativeWay highly enough. Are you worried about venturing out on your own and booking with an independent rather than going with Princess?

We are just about to book our Cayman excersion on our first cruise this coming January. We are really newbies at this. :o

Based on all I've read here, NativeWay is the way to go. I just went to their website to see how to book, but looks like they only provide you with an email address.

May I ask, for those of you that took this excersion, is email the way to contact the folks to book your day with them? Or am I missing something.

Thanks so much!

We are just about to book our Cayman excersion on our first cruise this coming January. We are really newbies at this. :o

Based on all I've read here, NativeWay is the way to go. I just went to their website to see how to book, but looks like they only provide you with an email address.

May I ask, for those of you that took this excersion, is email the way to contact the folks to book your day with them? Or am I missing something.

Thanks so much!

Yes, email them, they'll email you back with availability and instructions on how to fax your cc info to them to hold your space.

Thanks so much!

The phone number is 345-916-5027 and it Sharon Eubanks

you can call her as well.

Not to be persnickity, but it's Ebanks, not Eubanks, which in the Caymans is more popular than the name Smith here in the US. Just a little FYI trivia.

I got that from another thread so would you like to let them know that?.',

Oh I'm so bummed!! I just heard back from Sharon, and the RRR tour through NativeWay is booked on the day (1/13/09) we'll be there. :mad:

This is our first cruise and the tour we looked forward to the most. I just learned a very valuable lesson about booking early.:o

Might there be another company that is equally good, that we can book through? Or is the excurision through Princess our only other option?

Thanks for any info.

Archived