RCI Hair Salon Services and Pricing

I think they are way over priced for the hair salon, but heck you are on vacation. Used them on my last cruise, will never again. $40 for a hair style... ugh... But it was my splurge.

DeeKDRoseTransp.gifabducted.gif

Email: Deanna34769@wmconnect.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Martian Yatch Club Adventure

RCCL Adventure of the Seas 11/14/04

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 10/26/03

Carnival Pride 11/9/02

Premier Cruise Lines (5 sailings)

I agree. I had my hair fixed for formal night. I didn't like it so I took it down after taking pics. $40.00 plus tip

Splendour 3-6-04

Jubilee 6-5-03

Celebration 7-10-01

A few years back I had my hair done at the Canyon Ranch Spa in Las Vegas for a friends wedding...it cost me $92 and SHE DIDN'T EVEN WASH IT! I showed up with just-washed-not-yet-dry hair and she blowed it out, curled it, put it up and bam! $92.

Just some food for thought. icon_smile.gif

Carnival Imagination 4/00

Holland America Veendam 3/03

...almost forgot...the lesson to be learned is "Don't assume something is within a certain price range...ALWAYS ask BEFORE the service is performed."

icon_wink.gif

tinsel,

I have the "Spa Menu" and everything seems to be pretty well in-line with what you'd pay at a regular spa...it's probably about 10-15% more...I would expect the salon to be about the same.

I had the worst experience ever. The lady charged me $50 just to blow dry and straighten my hair on formal normal.. She did a terrible job to be honest and I still could believe she charged me that much that b#@$$#%$#%$#

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;3;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Navigator of the Seas/Western Caribbean 03/06

HI,

I am a professional hairstylist and work in a full service salon, here in the Albany, NY area. $40 for an updo is pretty cheap. That is not even the starting price at the salon I work at. I don't even work in a day spa and we charge $50 to start. We get $35 a haircut which normally takes half an hour or so to do. So in 1 hour you can make around $70. So around $40 is pretty cheap. Time is $ to hairstylist. We do not want to have to wash and blow dry someones hair, and then put it up for a lousy $40. We would be losing $. So if you want it put up and want to save yourself some money, wash and dry it before you go get it put up. In all my years of doing hair,the hair stays up better if it is not washed and dryed. When you wash it and make your hair nice and silky, chances are the updo is going to slide right out. Sure it's nice to get the wash and blow dry and updo,but expect to pay more for your updo. Plus, you have to remember when it comes to prices for a cruise or a resort, you should expect to pay more than you would at some salon back where you are from. My point is very simple,ask what you are getting before you have the service done. If you have a specific hairstyle in mind, it is best to bring a photo with you or look threw a book and get an idea what you like. We can not read your mind,but we can make you look beautiful. Hope you all have a better understanding of why they charge you so much. Just remember if your hair is to your waist, your going to pay more than someone who has hair to their chin. If you don't want to pay the prices, I would suggest asking your hairstylist back home, for some suggestions on how you could put it up yourself. My clients have asked me to show them and most of the time they can make it look good with the help of my professional knowledge. Also, when your having it put up if you notice it's not looking right, speak up and tell the stylist, it's easier to fix it when it's not all pinned up!!!! Have fun and look beautiful for those formal nights!!!!

I love going to the salon on the ship. I don't care what I pay...during my March trip on the AOS, I had an up-do for formal night and then went back two other times that week for a wash and blow dry straight...(I have very thick, long, naturally curly hair and it is a TREAT to have my hair dried straight...something I can't do myself and it takes over 1 hour to do it).

The up-do for formal night was o.k. I wasn't thrilled with it, but it worked. I think the stylists on the cruise ship try to get very creative and wild with some of the styles. My stylist told me that he "creates as he goes" and never creates the same style on anyone else that night. He was just a little too creative with the style he gave me.

I think cruising is the only vacation that I have taken where my salon charges are more than my booze charges for the week!

Kimberly

Monarch of the Seas 4/02

Disney Wonder 11/02

Adventure of the Seas 10/03, 3/04, planning 10/04

Thanks for starting this thread. I was curious about the hair prices as well. I am getting married Saturday and our honeymoon cruise leaves on Sunday. Because of the updo that I am having for my wedding, I have been unable to cut my bangs for the last 2 months and I am looking forward to getting a trim when we are on the cruise. I already figure I'll be paying more than my normal rate since I'll be on the ship but it will be worth it.

As far as updo costs, you will all be shocked to find out that my wedding updo is only costing me $25. That is the normal rate at the salon in my neighborhood. When I went for my trial hairdo about a month ago, that was the price I was given. My hair is to just past my shoulder blades too. I thought it was unbelievable. Here's a link to a picture from that day. And it was not washed and dried at the salon, I did that before I went there. It still took her an hour and a half to work on my hair.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/show.fcgi?t=slideshow&ID=127080421&key=SiyRuU&pos=21

Well for sure be careful with your nails(enhanced) while on a cruise. I don't know what they charge for a whole set but I broke one of mine and they charged $15.00 to REPAIR(not replace) one nail!

Vision of the Sea/ Alaska Northbound 9/3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;9;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Just got back from the Rhapsody with my 16 year old niece, she had an updo with long hair and it ran $35 plus tip. I had a cut, color and blow out and it ran $175 plus tip. I don't see a big difference from a good salon. I'm on vacation and I live in the spa on a cruise enjoying all the masages, salt rubs, pedicures etc. Yes it is expensive but I come home totally relaxed.

On the Mariner, I had a trim... not a cut, no change in style, just the split/dead ends trimmed off. Ran $68.00 after my platinum discount coupon and before tip.

This was back in Dec. Can't remember if I also had it washed and blown dry - but it seems like I did.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;08;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500   'til Sovereign of the Seas

Sovereign 01/02, 11/02, 6/03, 08/03, 09/03

Fantasy 06/2002

Mariner 12/03

Radiance 04/04

I just had my hair cut on the Mariner - $77.. without shampooing or tip! AND she didn't do what I asked her to... but the price itself didn't bother me as I don't get haircuts very often (my last one was in the salon on the Disney Magic 2 years ago)... and it's ONLY hair, so it will grow back, right? I had about 5 inches lopped off, and my ONLY request was that it be long enough to pull into a pony tail... well, now the front pieces fall out of the holder... clips for now!

Of course, what REALLY bothers me is the products they push! But I've gotten really good at telling them I don't make impulse purchases... and if they write down the items, I might come back and buy them... this trip the items totaled over $200! I didn't go back, but SHOULD I decide I want them, I can go to timetospa and buy them when I want to.

Mariner of the Seas 4/11/04

Disney Magic 12/01/01

My DW used the salon on the Rhapsody and loved it. It was a bit pricy but it was her splurge also.

She told me that we had to go on her again and find the same stylist.

Shmthaus

two_fish_kissing_md_wht.gif

Yacht-04.gif

11/02 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas

12/03 CCL Celebration

11/04 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas

http://community.webshots.com/user/shmthaus

My girlfriend used the salon on the Brilliance for an updoo for the first formal night. The stylest kept telling her that this rhinestone clip she had would look really good. Well, she finally said OK, go ahead an put it in. She was shocked to find out that the clip cost $40.

Make sure you know the prices before you agree anything.

Tom

Our Brilliance Cruise 2004

My $40 blow dry and style on the ship was definetely not worth it. I knew how much it cost ahead of time, would I do it again, definetely not.

DeeKDRoseTransp.gifabducted.gif

Email: Deanna34769@wmconnect.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Martian Yatch Club Adventure

RCCL Adventure of the Seas 11/14/04

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 10/26/03

Carnival Pride 11/9/02

Premier Cruise Lines (5 sailings)

Archived