Ships docking or not in Roatan due to the civil unrest (MERGED THREADS)

JBuffettPH

Trying to keep my eye open for information as well. We depart on the Carnival Glory on Saturday and had zip-lining planned for Roatan. The NCL Pearl was scheduled today, but it doesn't look like anyone from that Roll Call board is updating CC. The last post for this sailing was November 8, the day before the cruise. Same thing with the Carnival Valor, which was due to visit Roatan tomorrow. Not that I blame them; one of the last things I want to do on a cruise is get on the internet.

i also got confirmation that the pearl was there yesterday

Yes the PEARL was dock and we had quet a few groups come on our Bodden Tour for a nice tour of the island. Everyone had a good time and things are back to normal after the end of las week electic comapny protest.

Some ships have stopped recently.

There still may be occasional protests, but more often than not, things should be fine.

Just one more protest may take Roatan off the cruise list for a while. La Prensa http://www.laprensahn.com/ and El Heraldo http://www.elheraldo.hn/ , Honduran online newspapers, have reported that at least one cruise line has demanded an immediate halt to any of this type of protest or they will pull Roatan from the itinerary.

Time will tell, cross fingers

We were on the Carnival Glory this past week, and it stopped at Roatan on the 19th. The people were friendly and there were no signs of any hostility toward Americans or cruise ship passengers in general.

I will say that Roatan's forested hills are beautiful when viewed from the ship, but when you walk into the town you can see how impoverished and rundown the place is.

Hello all,

As DieFliegendeHollander said earlier the Glory visited Roatan last week.

I have to agree that the beauty of the island is slightly detracted by concern for the people; as with any society there was a group of people who appeared to be living on a day to day basis.

We had arranged Victor Bodden tour and our good fortune was to have Ann as our tour driver. We had a wonderful day with Ann driving us from one end of the island to the other; Beautiful island. Everyone we met was super friendly and we saw no civil unrest and did not observe any damage from the previous reported disturbances. Never once did we feel unsafe.

Two thumbs up to Victor Bodden tours; Victor met us right outside the gate and introduced us to Ann and off we went. We toured the island, drove to the beach and snorkled (I swam - Ann and my better half sat in the shade and talked about their husbands, children, and baking recipes)

Visiting Victor's home and small zoo was entertaining and well worth the extra $2. The monkeys were very frisky and climbed all over everyone brave enough to enter the cage; warning to the ladies they are not bashful about checking to see what you have hidden in your bra :) Some advice: (1) wear no necklace or shiny earrings- they are banditos. And beware they are pickpockets- as one was perched on top of my head taking cereal handouts I felt a hand in my pants pocket and (2) sneak a box of cereal off the ship- great treat for monkeys, macaws, raccoon and deer.

Roatan is definitely on our list of "wish we could vist again someday"

As to the civil disturbance my thoughts and prayers include the many really nice Roatan folks we met- as usual the ones causing the disturbance seem to have no care for the fact that many innocent people suffer for their action.

Hope you all are enjoying a Blessed Day today. (our first day back in the real world - had to make our own breakfast and yucch :( wash our dishes).

Roger K (the youngest half of RLKELK :D)

We just returned from the Carnival Glory western Caribbean and we stopped in Roatan last Wednesday (Nov. 19th 2008). The beaches were churned up from recent winds, but there was no sign of any protest or disturbance when we went.

I will be on the NCL Pearl in early December... Does anyone know if it has been making stops in Roatan recently? :confused: Please reply

Absolutely! It was here in Roatan today...

I'm here for a week...and expect to see a huge influx of folks from the Carnival Valor on Wednesday!

Perhaps this was on the other side of the island from where Glory docked, but there was NO indication of anything short of beautiful and perfect! We had bad weather on our entire Glory western trip and although it was cloudy that day (Nov 20th) Roatan was by far our favorite port! I'll return to Roatan and STAY someday, hopefully sooner rather than later!!!!

Archived