If we take a taxi from the pier are we likely to disappear never to be seen again?

UKCruiser_2008

We (boyfriend and I) want to go to Mystic Mountain and just ride on the Tranopy, maybe swim and have some food there, then come back to the port and look around the shops.

Basically, we would prefer to do this independently as we can take our time then, and will not feel like cattle being herded around. I don't think there are any tours for just the Tranopy either, you have to go to Dunns Falls too.

Is it dangerous to get a taxi from the pier?? I understand it is a short journey to Mystic Mountain. Is it possible to walk?

We (boyfriend and I) want to go to Mystic Mountain and just ride on the Tranopy, maybe swim and have some food there, then come back to the port and look around the shops.

Basically, we would prefer to do this independently as we can take our time then, and will not feel like cattle being herded around. I don't think there are any tours for just the Tranopy either, you have to go to Dunns Falls too.

Is it dangerous to get a taxi from the pier?? I understand it is a short journey to Mystic Mountain. Is it possible to walk?

If you are concerned about safety, then I would think that you should immediately forget about walking. Taking a taxi is much safer.

I personally would email Barret Adventures and ask Carolyn about how much it might be to transport you there.... or if there is a tour they have for the tranopy.. they are very laid back and won't rush you. She has been very helpful so far dealing with me.

All of their tours INCLUDE a leisurely shopping time on the way back into town or near the end of the tour, wherever it ends.

Jamaica would be the LAST place I would just wing it and walk around.

Just make sure the taxi has a red JUTA license plate and get a firm price on your fare to the destination (with # of passengers transported) with the driver before you get in. You can always ask any of the security people to point one out to you.

No problem, mon!:D

after all i ve heard about jamaica..we ll either do a ship

tour or just hang around the port area to say we were

there..

I would really encourage you to continue to look at the threads here and hire a private tour guide. There are many who are highly recommended. This was one of our favorite ports. We hired Marva Shaw for the day and had a blast. Our friends who went on a ships tour did not have that great of a time and don't want to return to Jamaica. If you will do some research on these boards you may find that it becomes one of your favorite ports!

I would really encourage you to continue to look at the threads here and hire a private tour guide. There are many who are highly recommended. This was one of our favorite ports. We hired Marva Shaw for the day and had a blast. Our friends who went on a ships tour did not have that great of a time and don't want to return to Jamaica. If you will do some research on these boards you may find that it becomes one of your favorite ports!

I agree with all the poster has said above. Please don't be put off, Jamaica was one of our favourite ports too. Hire a private tour guide (they're very reasonable) and most of them will cater to spacifics where possible.

Ride the Tranopy??

Tranopy is three things combined:

Skyride, Bobsled and Canopy(zip lines)

The price Carnival offers is less than taking a cab and purchasing on your own (one of the few excusions that are). You can spend as much time there as you like (eating, swimming etc.). Then you take the shuttle back to the ship.

I have not done it yet, but plan to in a couple weeks.

We will be arriving in Ochos Rios on the new Ruby Princess - it will be our first visit to Jamaica and we are interested in finding a tour to take us to see Bob Marley's home and maybe to a beach for snorkeling - it this something we can get to from Ochos Rios and does anyone know of a good tour group for us to contact?

We will be arriving in Ochos Rios on the new Ruby Princess - it will be our first visit to Jamaica and we are interested in finding a tour to take us to see Bob Marley's home and maybe to a beach for snorkeling - it this something we can get to from Ochos Rios and does anyone know of a good tour group for us to contact?

I know when we asked about doing this tour we were told time would be tight but you could contact Phil and ask him, if he can do it and you're in port long enough then go for it (I would have loved to have gone to Bobs place). www.phil-lafayette-tours.com

Archived