How do you get an upgrade?

Greenapple

I got on the upgrade list, wait list, and I paid $100.00 to be on it. Got a call last week, upgrade from a window to the next highest balcony for $3,500.00. No that is not an error. By the time we add that to what we have already paid we could have gotten the penthouse. So you never know what will pop up next. My TA questioned it, they said if the ship is full they can ask anyprice they want. GoodLuck Iam still trying.

Cakewalk

10 other ruises

First time with NCL

POA 3-6-05

I don't why we were offered an upgrade, we had booked our cruise for 01/05 on the Dream the begining of October and last week,(3 weeks after booking) our TA called and said we had a chance to upgrade from EE to CC for $75 for first and second person only not for third. It only cost us $150 per cabin. We had to decide quickly because we were told it was first come first serve. I don't know why they offered an upgrade this early (we have 2 1/2 months till our cruise).

I wonder if it had to do with the fact that we have more than one cabin booked. Good Luck!

In regards to the upgrade list: Do you get your 100.00 back if you aren't offered an upgrade? Maybe that is why they offered you one at such an outrageous price. I never knew there was an upgrade list one pays to be on. Learn something new every day. Happy cruising! :p

I have no idea what cakewalk is talking about... There is no fee to be on the upgrade wait list that is now offered through the upsell desk.. Anyone that would pay 3500 plus original cruise fare for a balcony is crazy... I would disregard that poster.... For fun, I will list what I paid for some recent upgrades... Total amount pp is listed including what I paid for the original cruise fare

1650 pp -- Dawn 11 night 1/25/04 Category AB Penthouse

1800 pp -- Crown 7 Night August Category AA Owners Suite

2200 pp -- Dawn 10 NYE Category AA -- What I'm willing to pay for an AB.. Haven't got the call yet Already paid 1750 pp for a Balcony GTY

Chris Connolly <=== Smuggled liqour onboard tonight

Hey Sid.. you said you got a great deal on that sailing... What I listed included part charges and taxes... I'm guessing your comparision did to? Basically, I paid 650 additional pp for that AA ... I was almost going to say no, but since they are the only balconies on the ship and I heard it was going to be crowded by the pool, I had to take the plunge.

Either way.. originally rate for that AA is about 4000 pp .. So we both made out pretty well.

Chris Connolly <=== always hunting for the upgrade

OK - I'll add to the list but I think it is important to point out that the price you pay for an upgrade depends a lot on what you originally paid at booking. You also can and should try to negotiate.

Dawn 7 Day Florida 10/3/04 - Booked BB @ $775 PP with PC - Upgraded to AE for $175 PP - Total was $1900 for 2.

I have no idea what cakewalk is talking about... There is no fee to be on the upgrade wait list that is now offered through the upsell desk.. Anyone that would pay 3500 plus original cruise fare for a balcony is crazy... I would disregard that poster.... For fun, I will list what I paid for some recent upgrades... Total amount pp is listed including what I paid for the original cruise fare

1650 pp -- Dawn 11 night 1/25/04 Category AB Penthouse

1800 pp -- Crown 7 Night August Category AA Owners Suite

2200 pp -- Dawn 10 NYE Category AA -- What I'm willing to pay for an AB.. Haven't got the call yet Already paid 1750 pp for a Balcony GTY

Chris Connolly <=== Smuggled liqour onboard tonight

To disregard my post is mighty of you, I have been cruising for over 20 years and I did pay the $100. for getting on the list. By the way you get the $100. in ship credit if you do not use it. As for upgrading for that kind of money please do not insult me now if you read it right I am still waiting. I have been upgraded to suits for free. Iam not that gulable.

cakewalk

Spoke with Sandra.. the head of NCL's upsell and upgrade desk.. She said to me she never heard of paying 100 to get on a waiting list.. Maybe your TA is scamming you????

Chris Connolly <=== cruising for 90 years... voted for kerry..

Or maybe there are no upgrades available and cakewalk has paid the upgrade difference in advance in hopes something opens.

Chris it's ok you voted for kerry after all you are in NY and a vote for Bush whould have been wasted ;)

I've been called for an upgrade and I didn't have to pay $100.? I've never heard of such a thing? Is this a choice you make? This is my 8th cruise with NCL and I never heard of a fee to upgrade?

Denise

This was not a choice just because I want a upgrade but because I have to have medical Eq in the room, oxygen, and was concerned about the size of the room due to it beig smaller than on other ships. My TA called to see about getting a balcony room if available, for upgrade, and at that time they told her it would be $50.pp to be put on this list for another room. She called me back very puzzled and that she also never heard of this, we ended up putting this charge on our CCard, I have been in contact with Colin Veitch, Pres NCL and his secretary Sylvia and we are working on a upgrade. I have never paid a fee on any other cruise line and this is my first time with NCL and I too was surprized. I am going to call and highly question this again do to many of you have also never heard of this. Never cruising wit NCL before how would I know, only here with CC can you get information, and I will qustion them now.

But did pay it.:(

Cakewalk

Crusin sence 1984

3-6-05 POA

I have come back with an answer....... NCL has a new system.. If you want a particular room type and they are currently sold out of it.. You can get on a wait list, for 50 pp ... But this is not an UPGRADE... If the room becomes available you have to pay full price... MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THIS LIST... If you get on the wait list, you will most likely not be able to get an upsell.. If this is offered to you, do not take it, unless you really need a specific room... Otherwise.. take the normal channels for a discounted upgrade...

NCL has instituted this new program to try to book more of the suites at higher rates..

On one of my "Sky" cruises, I was going with another couple but was having my own cabin as a "single." I booked an Inside cabin and expected to pay double for this cabin. The cabin was on deck 7 Cat. I. When I booked the cabin I only had to pay 1 1/2 times the rate. I thought I was in heaven. Three weeks before we sailed our TA received a call from NCL asking if I wanted to change my cabin to an Outside cabin on deck 10, cabin #0063. The cost was only $25.00 for the upgrade. I jumped on it. The new cabin was at the new of the hallway. Turned out to be very quite cabin...and the fact that the "Great Outdoors Cafe" was right above me, I really didn't hear that much from the chairs being moved around. My friends were also upgraded to Cabin #0062 at no additional charge. The deals are out there, you or your TA just have to be aggressive or be at the right place at the right time. I have received other upgrades ....but this is the best of all of them. Good luck all.

OceanDreams

I have a question. All these posts make sense, but my question is.... cant you go to the purser's desk/front desk and ask for a courtesy upgrade? I did it a few times and they just gave me the other room for no cost. Either I know how to talk, or they are intimidated. I dunno :) The one woman at the front desk once said... "Well, this balcony room is open, so I can move you into it at no charge". I was like SAWEEEEET. Then I saw her in the disco. What a night that was. ;)

BDD

I have a question. All these posts make sense, but my question is.... cant you go to the purser's desk/front desk and ask for a courtesy upgrade? I did it a few times and they just gave me the other room for no cost. Either I know how to talk, or they are intimidated. I dunno :) The one woman at the front desk once said... "Well, this balcony room is open, so I can move you into it at no charge". I was like SAWEEEEET. Then I saw her in the disco. What a night that was. ;)

BDD

Sure you can. The problem the last 6 cruises I have been on and most are off season there is a sign no cabins available. With NCL's upsell program they have moved as many people up prior to saling as posible to maximize revenue. Available cabins under this program tend to be downgrades.

Archived