What to wear on a formal night...

chyanmor

What to wear on a formal night....  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear on a formal night....

• White Jacket, Black Shirt, White Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • White Jacket, White Shirt, Black Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • White Jacket, Black Shirt, Coloured Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • Black Jacket, White Shirt, Black Bow tie, Black Trousers
    • Black Jacket, White Shirt, Coloured Bow tie, Black Trousers

I like black jacket, black shirt and coloured bow tie...

I think white jacket, black shirt and white bow ties look very amusing...puts me in mind of an ice cream man...:eek:

Hi Karen

I tend to alternate between the usual dinner suit and white jacket with black shirt and white bow tie. Should you ever come across me in the latter garb please feel free to STOP ME AND BUY ONE. Anything to help with my on board account.

Kindest regards

cabinboy

Well, ofcourse I knew that, but it doesn't change the fact many men wear white/cream tuxs and a assortment of bow ties on cruises today.

No. Neither does it alter whether they are right or wrong.

Surely thats better than what some of them are wearing? Casual jacket, NO ties, let alone bow ties, all sorts can be seen on formal nights now, even on pando

So it is right simply because it could be worse?

shock horror, the 'golden oldie' days of cruising are long gone I am afraid. 100's of men on a formal night on non caribbean cruises were wearing the light white/cream jackets.

And hundreds are, at least in my view (and I am not alone) are wrong. No more, no less. Do you really want to give up the idea of standards?

Of course, it could be argued that 'black tie' (dinner jacket/tuxedo) is itself a relaxation of proper formal wear, i.e. 'white tie'.

Formal wear and the social conventions surrounding it have been relaxing for centuries. I think it's a mistake to fix on the effective standard of some decade during that process and say "that's the correct attire", because at one time that effective standard was itself regarded as relaxed and improper. All I want is that diners on formal nights (and especially my table companions) make some sort of effort, whether that be a dinner jacket, suit, or even just smart trousers & open shirt.

Archived