Directions to National Handcraft Center?

wendya2J

HI,

Is it worth it to go to the handcraft center, or should we just stay at the pier and shop? I wasnt too impressed with the shops at the pier last year.

Does anyone know how to get to the hand craftcenter from the pier?????

Thanks,, wendy

Found this on another thread:

Take a right turn when you exit the Belize village shopping area where the tenders arrive. You will see that the road splits; follow the left-hand one. You will see a park on your left. The Center is on the right hand side of the park in a white building. It is only a five-minute walk. There are small signs that will direct you also.

The crafts there, as the previous poster mentioned are mostly wood. However they are not just made out of mahogany. For instance I bought a folding chair made of nineteen different wooods available in the country which include poison wood, mahogany, cherry, chiclet[sp?] (from the gum!) and others. Also included are some foodstuffs, instruments, baskets and cloth. Lots of good stuff, enjoy!

I am usually pretty good with directions and I know that we turned left when we walked out of the gated area and then we came to the Y and there was a sign for the center. You can also get there by turning right but then the center will be on your left and the park on your right. It really is very easy to find and a very short walk but be aware that it is not very big. You can probably see everything in 10 minutes. I was a little disappointed that there was not more to chose from but I am very happy with the wood carving that I bought. I hope this helps!

we walked outside the gates, and yes it is not small town USA, but the people were nice enough. Yes they wanted us to buy something, or take a tour of the town, but I didn't feel unsafe, just careful.

We will be back in Belize next week with our 4 small grand children, and will be going outside the gates. I'll keep a sharpe eye out, but I'd do the same in any place with the kids in tow.

I never felt unsafe. In fact, only 2 people even spoke to us asking if we wanted to by things. I would not call the Handicraft Center a market. It is a store with a couple of people working there. The way I understand it the items are brought in from small villages and sold and the proceeds go back to the villages. Not a market like you see in other ports with hordes of people trying to sell their wares. I hope this helps!

Archived