Passports?

iluvazsun

Does anyone know if passports are needed for a cruise out of FLL to Key west, Grand Cayman & jamaica? OR do we just need our BC? Thanks!

Here is a link to Carnival's website about required documents and a link to the U.S. State Department website for further information:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

If you are a citizen - and you're traveling before the new immigration laws come into effect, you'll need your original birth certificate (or a state issued copy - Xerox copies won't be accepted) - and a government issued photo I.D.....like a driver's license.

Does anyone know if passports are needed for a cruise out of FLL to Key west, Grand Cayman & jamaica? OR do we just need our BC? Thanks!

Yes BC and DL is all you need, assuming you are a US citizen:) G'ma beat me:). Actually Carnivals FAQ s wrong. here is what is says on a dif part of their website:

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see http://www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

This is the link for that quote:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

A few other things to keep in mind, which I have learned on these boards, is to remember that if there is any kind of emergency and you need to fly out of one of those countries to return home, a passport is your ticket.

Also, if you would miss the ship at one of your ports (Heaven forbid!) and need to catch up with the ship at another port, again a passport would be invaluable.

Up until now I've always just used the DL and BC, but after reading some scary stories about people getting left behind, it has made me think twice. I just went and applied for my passport earlier this week. I won't have it in time for my 10/30 cruise, but it'll be here in plenty of time for my May sailing -- and that will give me a lot of peace of mind. Definitely worth the money!

Archived