Progesso is a DUMP!!!!!

agrip76

The great photos posted by londonandlawson (above) are from Yucatan Beach Villas, a bit of a bus ride away from Progreso, past Chicxulub, past Uaymitun and just before Telchac. If you can get away early, it's a great place to relax. No vendors whatsoever there.

Cheers!

Maybe the vendors aren't as agressive, but I felt the peddlers on the beach were completely out of hand, Within 1 hour we had 47 approach us. What I have not seen people mention is how they send their children out to sell. Progresso is as nasty as Tijuana. All I wanted to do was get back to the ship and take a shower. Looking around at how dirty everything was, I wouldn't touch the food, flies where everywhere. And this was in February. My big mistake at this port was not getting away from Progresso by going to ruins or something. Read on this board how great the beach is....the beach on Lake Michigan in Chicago (yep people dirty nasty Chicago) is way cleaner. BTW, there are no public bathrooms in Progresso except at the pier. Didn't do any in the town of Progresso, did not feel like I had to tip someone to use it after my dh already purchased beer from them. Go on an excursion, stay on the ship or just book a cruise not going here. Just don't know why some think they need to sugar coat such a nasty place (btw...my dh retired from the Navy...we have traveled many places...this is on list of never again). And I know people who have family in Mexico..they DON"T go here, it is to nasty for them....think about that...

I live here and frequently trash Progreso as well, but this post takes it to another level. It is NOT Tijuana, people! I suspect that this particular poster would not have enjoyed Merida, Uxmal or Dzibilchaltun either.

Will as you probably expect, I totally agree with you. There are a few posters I just don't know how to respond to. It sounds like this poster did research and went, knowing what to expect and still needs to trash Progreso and it's people.

There are some who put 'our' standards on other countries. Progreso is what Cozumel was 25 or 30 years ago. The 'we' discovered it. I prefer Progreso over the tourist traps that most places have turned into. The people are friendly, the beach is fun and yeah, there are vendors. If you say 'no thank you' they move on.

I would live there in a minute, if I could. Some of the best food, and friendliest people.

Peaches

I live here and frequently trash Progreso as well, but this post takes it to another level. It is NOT Tijuana, people! I suspect that this particular poster would not have enjoyed Merida, Uxmal or Dzibilchaltun either.

Stating I may not like Merida, Uxmal or Dzibilchaltun is not fair. I have not been there and would not make any determination about it until I did. As stated, my DH spent 20 years in the Navy. We have seen other countries and even lived in them. My favorite was in the Azores, we lived on Terceira Island. Not on the Lajes base, but out with the citizens. The house we rented...had to have converters for everything, and had to clean the mold off the walls on regular basis. So I have lived in areas that are not "westernized" and loved it. As far as Progresso goes, the peddlers on the beach are out of hand. Maybe it is different when cruise ships are not there, but then that is all I have to compare to. We had two young kids that only wanted to play on a beach. Period. We did not drag them on any excursions or travel further from the beach because of them. We did not feel it would be fair to any other tourists to have to listen to children whining they wanted to go to the beach. BTW...my daughter lives in San Diego, we have been to Tijuana once...Progress reminds me of Tijuana. If you don't agree that is your opinion.

Also, I mentioned the peddlers. Did not say anything else about the people who live there. Did not have enough interactions with them other then vendors or peddlers. The few I did meet that were not trying to sell something were warm sweet people. But I did not feel the beach was pretty, and while I know the water is the Gulf, it was not clean and clear. It was murky. Click on the picture. You can see the murky water in the waves. This was taken in Feb, there were no storms to churn it up.

100_1327.jpg.f7892c5e594991a164bbccbced4bf7af.jpg

William. Ticul, about twenty miles from Uxmal is another charmer. Great market with beautiful produce. Instead of taxis they have cyclos similar to Saigon. Not motorized. Peddle power. That is the form of taxis they use. Principle industry is tericota pots and shoes. In the market I had the very best pig skins I've ever had. Also the best nachos I've had.

For city life, Campeche would be pretty nice too.

Edited by hdawson

Nannersmom. The water is murky because the Yucatan sits on a limestone shelf that juts out off shore. That is the reason for the 4.5 mile long pier. The shallow water has a pretty constant small wave action that keeps the water stirred up.

The area around Progreso (single "s") is very poor. The pedlers that you don't like are merely trying to provide for their families the only way they can. If I had responsibilities and no job, I would do exactly the same thing to provide for my family.

Progresso (dbl "s") is my favorite canned soup.

Nannersmom: Like I said before, Progreso isn't the prettiest place in the Yucatan by a long shot and I often question why cruise ships stop here, other than for access to Mayan ruins. I also agree that the vendors are tiresome, the town is a mess, etc.

But you said Progreso was as nasty as Tijuana. Don't agree there; Tijuana, where you have also been once, and although it has it's fans, is probably nastier. You painted a pretty disgusting picture of Progreso and so should expect some feedback from others who don't agree.

Eating a freshly fried whole fish under a palapa on the beach with a cold beer is a very pleasant experience for many and vendors generally go away with a negative finger wave or shaking of the head. This is not Morocco.

And this quote "All I wanted to do was get back to the ship and take a shower. Looking around at how dirty everything was, I wouldn't touch the food, flies where everywhere." could be considered downright offensive.

Anyway, that's my two centavos :)

There is a reason I have only been to Tijuana once. I did not like the place. Why go back to someplace I don't like??? Progreso did feel dirty to me like Tijuana did, there were flies landing on the food. I won't eat food from anywhere that I keep seeing flies landing on including places in the U.S. At least I did do some research on the port, I knew it was not picture perfect clean place, somehow I did still expect it to be a little bit better than it was. Wanted to do the double decker bus tour, but grandkids didn't. Like I said, they wanted to go to the beach, why force them on the bus and have them whinning to annoy other people. If I didn't have the two young kids with me, I would have done other things than the beach. (yes, there were two more with us that are not in the picture). People going there on a cruise should plan ahead and do something other than hanging at the beach or right in Progreso.

As far as the peddlers making in a living, I can see that side too, But 47 in one hour is to much. That is just a little over one per minute. Some took the no thank you and moved on, a couple of them kept pushing.

Hdawson and WilliamLawson you are wasting your breath trying to discuse Progreso rationaly with Nannersmom. That is part of the problem with cruise ship tourist. They spend 5 or 6 hours in a port and make up their mind as to the good or bad of the entire area.

I remember Cozumel before it was discovered by the cruise ship industry. San Miguel was a sleepy little fishing village only visited by divers and a few deep see fishermen. It was wonderful place, barely worth going to anymore. What most cruise ship tourist do not like about Progreso is that it not like most other cruise ship ports. No miles and miles of tourist traps all selling the same touist crap. No chain bars, C&C, etc. I would love for Progreso to stay this way but I am afraid that is not to be. It will change and not in a good way. It will become just like all the other cruise ship ports. While this is good for the locals it just takes away all the reasons that makes them desirable places to visit in the first place.

There are still many towns/villages in the Yucatan that have not been discovered by but a handful of gringos. While Merida is a growing vibrant town I thoughly enjoy all my land visits there and looking forward to moving to the area in a couple of years.

Edited by Traveler353

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've read this post tonight and the thing that shocks me most is hearing people use words like "poverty" and "commoners" so flippantly!

I can even understand such thoughts going through a person's head, but to take the time to type them out and still not realize how disgusting it makes them sound??

What exactly do these posters want "someone" to do about the aggressive vendors, anyway? It's THEIR country, it's THEIR town. YOU ARE A VISITOR. If you aren't enjoying your stay, then go back to your SHIP!!

• 1 month later...

We visited Costa Maya back in '07 and LOVED it!!! Had a great beach day at Cat's Meow. We are going to Progresso in July and traveling with family who did not go to Costa Maya with us.

How would you compare Progresso to Costa Maya? Once again, we had a great day there. Of course, we all have great attitudes and just love being on vacation!!!

We visited Costa Maya back in '07 and LOVED it!!! Had a great beach day at Cat's Meow. We are going to Progresso in July and traveling with family who did not go to Costa Maya with us.

How would you compare Progresso to Costa Maya? Once again, we had a great day there. Of course, we all have great attitudes and just love being on vacation!!!

No comparison what so ever. As hdawson has posted on another thread. Costa Maya is a purpose built cruise stop. Very nice but not real Mexico. Progreso on the other hand is a real Mexican town. Major industrial port and vacation spot for the locals of Merida and the rest of Mexico. No flash and glitz as seen at most all other cruise ship ports. Very laid back and relaxed. I have spent several land vacations in the area (Merida) and usually go to Progreso with friends from Merida on days that the cruise ships are not in port. Michael

Edited by Traveler353

Keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com There are many options for your Progreso stop. No snorkling since this is the Gulf and not the crystal clear Caribbean. Research is key. Great fresh fish and seafood in the many restaurants along the Malecon (beachside street) if you stay in Progreso.

• 3 weeks later...

Cat's Meow! I remember that place. Went to Majahual for a wedding and had the best food there - the people were from Victoria, I believe? Also heard that after the last hurricane the restaurant (that whole beach front street actually) was washed away and they never rebuilt.

William. Ticul, about twenty miles from Uxmal is another charmer. Great market with beautiful produce. Instead of taxis they have cyclos similar to Saigon. Not motorized. Peddle power. That is the form of taxis they use. Principle industry is tericota pots and shoes. In the market I had the very best pig skins I've ever had. Also the best nachos I've had.

For city life, Campeche would be pretty nice too.

hdawson - Been to Ticul; we used to buy our terracotta planters & pots there for the garden, making a day trip of it with lunch at the now over-rated Los Almendros restaurant. And Campeche, well, that is a nice place indeed. I would also recommend Valladolid - the new restoration of the downtown area are amazing!

I actually live here in Merida so let me know when you are next in town, and I'll buy you a frosty beer/horchata/Coke and you can tell me where those fried pig skins are at.

William. You can't imagine how much I envy you living in Merida. I'll be in Merida during a port call on Aug 30th. Maybe we can meet up at Main Street sidewalk cafe on Hildago Plaza between Hotel Gran and the Carib for a Montejo brew. When vacationing in Merida I enjoy getting up at 7AM and sitting there (with many cups of Joe) watching all the folks rushing off to work or class. A privilege of the retired. LOL Will keep in touch.

Edited by hdawson

WE visited progresso 09jun with my daughter 12 we went to the ruins and stopped in a small mayan town. It was good for my daughter to see how others live. and see these people are fisherman. And what most would consider as poor this is a way of life ......not poor but life as they know it........

Can anyone tell me how to get to the beach near the pier? When I was in Progresso last April we got off the bus by the out door market, Got back on the bus at the same spot. Saw the beach on our way back to the ship. This trip I will have my DGD with me and I know she will want to go to the beach. Do you have to take a Taxi to the beach? Any information would be appreciated.