tours for San Juan del Sur- Nicaragua?

Gabrielle R.

Amelia,

Thanks for the State Dept info. We will be in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua and Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala this April. Unless there is an urgent warning from the State Dept, we will probably take ship-sponsored tours and keep our guard up.

From what we have read, it appears that San Juan del Sur is a nice place to walk around, and has a nice beach.

Can someone tell us if there is much to see at the port in Puerto Quetzal, or if it is just an industrial port?

DavidnSteph

If you've never been to Antigua, you must go! It is one of the most unusual and beautiful cities I have been to, go with a reliable tour but do go! I am going in two weeks, I was going to go to Lake Atitlan but its a eight hour excursion with five hours of driving, at least an hour of ferries, and 40 minutes of walking leaving less than an hour and a half to eat and see the village. After all that driving, I hate to have so little time to see the village (shop) and eat.

Last year I took the less expensive tour to Antigua with Princess and I was so disappointed with how many factory stops we made and after seeing what an exquisite town Antigua was I was really bummed and I vowed to not cheap out and take the most expensive tour to Antigua this time. I heard it was an incredible tour--it visit more of Antigua and less of the factories. That works for me. I just signed up for the best of Colonial Antigua with lunch.

amelia

Amelia,

Thanks for the advice on Antigua. We will probably book a tour there.

Just curious, when we return to Puerto Quetzal will there anything to see there, or vendors at the port with souvenirs?

Thanks,

DavidnSteph

I did not go to the port shopping area. A lot of people just went there and bought trinkets so I know there is a place, but that's all I can say about it!

Ibfern, do you happen to know if there is a place to buy souveniers at the pier in Nicaguara. The port is San Juan del Sur. Thanks.

Marilyn

Yep! Its a tender port, not really a pier, and 10 step away from where you get off the tender there are open stalls filled with locals selling everything touristy. Also, you can pick up a Kabuki type cab (bicycle type cabs) that will take you on a grand tour of the town if you don't feel like walking.

Enjoy Marilyn,

Amelia

Marilyn,

Here is a link to a post on the Panama Canal board about Pelican Eyes resort (sounds like quite a climb uphill) and souvenir shopping in San Juan del Sur.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=883504

DavidnSteph

Thanks DavidnSteph, I saw that thread. Shoot anytime I see the words Nicaguara and Guatamala I read.:D

Also thanks amelia for information on the pier shopping at San Juan del Sur.

Marilyn

• 3 weeks later...

This little town was probably one of the most charming places we visited. We were greeted at the port by a group of musicians. You can walk into the town or take a tour of the town on a rickshaw type cart. We choose to walk. You will pass a group of small stalls offering locally made items as you leave the port and enter the main street. The people are very friendly and everyone we met had a smile on their face. The small town is very colorful and quite interesting. On our walk, we met up with a man pulling a cart by 2 oxen who was more than willing to pose for pictures [of course a small tip is expected]. After strolling through the town and visiting the small shops, we stopped at one of the many beachfront restaurants and just sat looking out at the lovely sea view sipping a couple of their local brews. Sometimes the best is free!

This little town was probably one of the most charming places we visited. We were greeted at the port by a group of musicians. You can walk into the town or take a tour of the town on a rickshaw type cart. We choose to walk. You will pass a group of small stalls offering locally made items as you leave the port and enter the main street. The people are very friendly and everyone we met had a smile on their face. The small town is very colorful and quite interesting. On our walk, we met up with a man pulling a cart by 2 oxen who was more than willing to pose for pictures [of course a small tip is expected]. After strolling through the town and visiting the small shops, we stopped at one of the many beachfront restaurants and just sat looking out at the lovely sea view sipping a couple of their local brews. Sometimes the best is free!

Calcruiser are you talking about the town of San Juan del sur or another town in Nicaguara. I will be on the Coral cruise April 12 and will visit Nicaguara. Still have not decided on what to do there yet.

Marilyn

Calcruiser are you talking about the town of San Juan del sur or another town in Nicaguara. I will be on the Coral cruise April 12 and will visit Nicaguara. Still have not decided on what to do there yet.

Marilyn

Yes it was San Juan del Sur. I checked my pictures to make certain I was recalling the same place as we made so many stops on that cruise. One of my pics show my husband standing next to a huge anchor, the Nicaraguan flag and a sign that says 'San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua'. It's a very small town but, well worth seeing and if you want to get some pictures that reflect local culture it's a great opportunity. If I was more computer savy I'd post some of my pics.

Dede

Hi...can anyone tell me if there are any nice beaches near the ship that you can walk to? I'm doing the Panama Canal cruise on Island Princess on Feb 2. Since I have never been to some of the ports, I tend to use the cruiseline tours. I haven't really seen anything that jumped out at me at San Juan del sur. I was thinking of booking the Arts & crafts shopping - Masaya just for something to do but if there are beaches near the ship that are clean/safe (won't be harassed by people trying to sell things) I would much rather do that. From reading this thread, it sounds like it's a pretty nice are to just walk around & explore.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bonnie

Yes it was San Juan del Sur. I checked my pictures to make certain I was recalling the same place as we made so many stops on that cruise. One of my pics show my husband standing next to a huge anchor, the Nicaraguan flag and a sign that says 'San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua'. It's a very small town but, well worth seeing and if you want to get some pictures that reflect local culture it's a great opportunity. If I was more computer savy I'd post some of my pics.

Dede

Dede, thank you very much for this info. Boy it is tough finding different things to do in Nicaragua as there is no info on Ports of Call board. Again thank you very much.

Marilyn

We jsut got back for our cruise on the Island- Awesome cruise!!!

I thought of this board when we got to San Juan Del Sur. I hope this can help you out a bit!

1. The little town was great! Many people once they got off the tender went to the little beach in the town. Little kids had a blast! The area is well protected and the beach area very nice. This is what I heard from numerous people who stayed in town and had played on the beach.

2. Shore excursions- a mix review. Most were very good. The only downer was the trip we took through Princess... We did the history & nature tour of Nicaragua.

The problems-

a)we were there on January 31. So MANY people all over the place.

b) We went to the city of Reyes (SP?) The cathderal was there. We had an hour there- TOO LONG for this stop. The cathderal was locked up- the priest was preparing for three different masses at three different churches... Didn't realize that he had two tour buses sitting waiting to see the cathderal. THIS WAS NOT THE FAULT OF OUR TOUR GUIDE!! She was very good- poor girl (OK, she was in her mid 20's) She called and finally got eveerything going.

c) The buses were hit and miss. Our bus was clean- but the bathroom on board had NO Toilet paper! Now way to clean your hands. That was a huge complaint by many of the group. The other bus was dirty and smelled terrible. MANY people who went on the tour was very unhappy.

d) Nicaragua is just trying to start their tourism trade. The people are very poor. and it is very dirty in many areas. I was more surprised at the shape the cathderal was in. It hadn't been taken very good care of- I guess I expected more for the old church.

Most people liked their tours- but it was hard to compare Nicaragua to Costa Rica which we had just visited.....

Any more questons? Please ask- I'll do my best to answer!

Gabrielle

Gabrielle, thank you very much for the review of Nicaguara. We will be there in april and we just plan to tour the small town. Now what did you do in guatamala and Costa Rica. We are planning to do the combo coffee plantation and Antigua in guatamala and the Scarlet Macaw Sanctuary in Costa rica. Anything that you can contribute to those countries will be helpful. We have been to Costa Rica before but on the Atlantic side and never have been to Guatamala or Nicaguuara.

Marilyn

Gabrielle, thank you very much for the review of Nicaguara. We will be there in april and we just plan to tour the small town. Now what did you do in guatamala and Costa Rica. We are planning to do the combo coffee plantation and Antigua in guatamala and the Scarlet Macaw Sanctuary in Costa rica. Anything that you can contribute to those countries will be helpful. We have been to Costa Rica before but on the Atlantic side and never have been to Guatamala or Nicaguuara.

Marilyn

Hi! With Guatamala we didn't do anything but go into the little area outside the ship. They have a little museum on Jade and jewelry store there along with many different vendors. Really interesting. My Husband got a few T-shirts. The people like to barter there. We got 2 T-shirts for $10 We got him on a 'good' day.;) I heard many positive thing about the ships tours. I didn't want to take the LONG drive to Antigua. (I get bus sick after a while and Antigua is a long drive both ways.) I heard many people liked the Coffee plantation! That one sold out early on our trip- might want to book that one early. The resort trip also was very nice. I wanted to do the Mayan Museum- but that was canceled- we were there on January 1 so I am sure the museum was closed.

Costa Rica- I don't think you can have a bad tour there! I did a discover Costa Rica tour. We got to see a coffe plantation, and the orchid gardens. They also had rescued animals there.... Everyone that I heard from really enjoyed whichever tour they took!

One thing I personally liked about Costa Rica (Pacific side) Every person we saw waved and smiled at us. Like welcome home! We missed you! A very nice feel. We had been on the Caribbean side- 5 years ago, it was fine- the people weren't as friendly Waving and saying Hola! like the West coast.

Hope that helped you! Gabrielle

Archived