Garden Villa 14000

Billy31

We just finished our Garden Villa cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn. Two of us in the Garden Villa. It was excellent. Everything from the room to the service was incredible. We cannot wait to do it again. I will post pictures soon.

Our previous cruise was in the Owners Suite 10006. There was no comparison. The Garden Villa is really a great way to go.

10/12/2008 - 10/19/2008

Billy31

We just finished our Garden Villa cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn. Two of us in the Garden Villa. It was excellent. Everything from the room to the service was incredible. We cannot wait to do it again. I will post pictures soon.

Our previous cruise was in the Owners Suite 10006. There was no comparison. The Garden Villa is really a great way to go.

10/12/2008 - 10/19/2008

Billy31

Welcome back! Looking forward to the pics and your review!!

Two of us sailed in GV 14500 to Bermuda on the 9-28 sailing.

I can’t get the trip out of my mind.

The Villa space was nice but the service was unsurpassed, (and this was not our first GV sailing).

Anshuman, butler Henry and our cabin steward Caesar could not have done more.

I doubt that suite passengers on even the most upscale ships receive the personalized attention we enjoyed.

Bermuda was memorable.

The GV experience was unforgettable.

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel the same way. I can't wait to book my next cruise. Were all your cruises in the GV on the Dawn? We are curious about the other ships and how their Garden Villa suites measure up.

The ships destination is not important to me. I just can't wait to experience the level of service and comfort the Garden Villa had to offer again.

Anshuman made sure all our needs were met. Henry anticipated every need. Ceasar went way out of his way to keep everything comfortable. It was all perfect.

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel the same way. I can't wait to book my next cruise. Were all your cruises in the GV on the Dawn? We are curious about the other ships and how their Garden Villa suites measure up.

We have sailed in both 14000 and 14500 on the Dawn and twice in 14000 on the Jewel.

Most here at CC like 14500 better then 14000 on the Dawn/Star and I would agree. I never liked that kitchen in 14000. It was useless for the most part and the bar in 14500 was a great place to have a snack/drink.

Unlike most here at CC we like the Jewel GV better then the Dawn. There is no “Garden” to speak of on the Jewel like the huge one on the Dawn. There is a deck, accessible from the living room, largest bedroom and foyer that contains the hot tub and steam room. The outside dining table is also located there but is no where near as large as the dawn. This area as I mentioned is much smaller but more convenient as it is accessed from three different areas.

The upper sun deck on the Jewel is much more desirable then Dawn/Star. While the Dawn sun deck seems like an afterthought the Jewel, (and only the Jewel) has nice decking, Hammocks, double loungers, tables and a lower railing height. This area overlooks your “Garden” from 3 sides. We have spent tons of time on the Sun Deck on the Jewel but rarely went on the Dawn Sundeck.

With the exception of the bright carpet, (still more subdued then the Dawn) the Living room on the Jewel feels much more upscale. The piano and large dining table are still there but the blue wall sponge painting and not quite right art work are gone. As mentioned earlier the garden is just off the living room and the sliding doors in two place can be left opened when you are having a party. Perhaps it is because of windows on three sides but the Jewel living room feels a lot bigger then the Dawn/Star.

There is an actual foyer in the Jewel GV. These come complete with a large center table for flowers a small reception desk with phone and nice guest bath. Sending guest outside of your Dawn villa and in to the 14th floor elevator lobby to use the guest bathroom seems awkward.

The bedrooms on Jewel class Ships are very different from the Dawn/Star. While the Dawn has two larger bedrooms with really nice baths the Jewel only has one. That being said the one master bedroom on the Jewel and it is attached bath are nicer then either master on the Dawn. The shower is tiled and more spacious, and the closet is larger as well. There is even a sliding door out to the garden from the Master bath. It is great to take a shower or bath with a nice breeze coming through.

The other Jewel GV bedrooms, (which are not quite equal in size) are very similar to A/C suites. Because they have nice balcony’s I would still prefer either of the two smaller bedrooms in the Jewel GV over the middle or forward bedroom on the Dawn.

My main preference for the Jewel G/V’s are there connection with the water. The railings next to the garden hot tub, up on the sun deck and off the two aft bedrooms are all normal height. You can lean over and look down at the water. Because of the floor to ceiling windows in the garden, high railings on the sun deck and no balcony in any bedroom I never feel this connection with the sea on the Dawn.

Remember that all ships built after the Jewel have a stateroom located above the GV’s. This “deluxe owners suite“, (one on the Jade and two on all ships built after) will limit your sun deck space and privacy CONSIDERABLY when sailing on those ships.

How is that for a long answer to a short question.

Exactly what I was looking for. That will give us a lot to consider for the next cruise.

I never would have guessed your response in a million years. I would have thought the courtyard and owners suite above to be intolerable. The room size within the dawn worked out well since the second room was just used for a guest bathroom and basically we bounced between the other two. We often used the above sundeck which was prepared beautifully by Caesar with lounge chairs and tables.

Thanks so much for your answer. I will have to check more into the Jewel

Here are the unedited pictures. I apologize for the duplicates. Many of the pictures are about to be stitched. Most of these are of the Garden Villa 14000 and the view from there.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568168813IljYMH?vhost=good-times

Still more to come.

Billy31

There are alot of really nice windows in that room, but can anyone see in? If yes.. you would have to draw the drapes for alot of the time. I am thinking it may be you can see out , but they can not see in. That long picnic type table outside..is that yours alone, or shared ?

Markandrew - FYI - the Jade DOS in no way effects the privacy on either Garden Villa sun deck - plenty of room between the sun deck and the patio area below

the jade dos does cut into the forward facing upper deck of the gv below -at least on the 14000 side, but it's tolerable.

the really offensive part of the Pearl DOS is the hot tub over the outdoor dining table of the gv below. try eating out there when your neighbors are tubbing - it's impossibly loud and kind of, well, disgusting to have someone bathing over your head when you're eating. One of the many points of being in the GV is PRIVACY and there just is LESS when there's someone above you and a LOT LESS when there's a hot tub above you. then there's the dirty towels that fly up and over the barrier and land in the GV's garden...we'll avoid the Pearl.

MarkAndrews- I agree with your view that the GV's seem more upscale on Jewel class ships, hadn't thought of it that way, but agree. I'd also add that the Dawn/Star were looking a little tired the last time we sailed in GV (Star, summer 2007, 2 weeks 14500) so unless they've updated since, the newness of the jewel/jade make them more appealing.

finally, the other really big difference is that the hot tub in gv on the dawn/star really is protected from the wind, being in that big garden space. it's nearly unusable at sea on the jewel class ships as it is open and right near the rail. so we use the courtyard one then.

and, the addition of the courtyard is nice too and not on the dawn/star, something i don't think you mentioned, but then again...there's so much in the gv's, that you can't always mention everything.

There are alot of really nice windows in that room, but can anyone see in? If yes.. you would have to draw the drapes for alot of the time. I am thinking it may be you can see out , but they can not see in. That long picnic type table outside..is that yours alone, or shared ?

During the daytime folks on the outside can't see in thanks to the tinting. At night, though, if you have the shades down and the lights on, the living area is visible.

E-mail me if you want to see a sample.

I'd also add that the Dawn/Star were looking a little tired the last time we sailed in GV (Star, summer 2007, 2 weeks 14500) so unless they've updated since, the newness of the jewel/jade make them more appealing.

I have never sailed on the Star but both of the Dawn GV's are showing their age as well. The fake "greenery" in the garden is very faded and should be thrown away. The carpet is looking worn and there were some burn holes in the aft bedroom. The wood on the tables and desks are ruined where careless people have set sweating glasses on them.

Maybe the wear makes them look tired or just comfortably worn but everything was still spotlessly clean.

New additions since we sailed in 14000 last year are the updated bedding, Jewel Style Coffee machine and new hand phones.

There is no place I would rather be right now then at Sea in the Garden Villa.

the jade dos does cut into the forward facing upper deck of the gv below -at least on the 14000 side, but it's tolerable.

We sailed in the Jade DOS and had a tour of the GV - I really don't know what you mean by the DOS cutting into the forward facing ....

It certainly does not. It does however make for a crappy forward view from the sundeck - but the view is unobstructed on the main floor patio (deck 14) . Plus there is no hottub on the Jades DOS balconies.

I can say nothing negative about the Dawn Garden Villa 14000. The wood and varnish were all perfect, there were no "sweat" stains. It must have just been redone. The greenery was not faded. The carpets, wall coverings, furniture were all excellent. There were no burn holes. I cannot speak about GV14500 but 14000 was perfect. I am a frequent traveller amd very picky about the little things. Except for an off track shower door everything was perfect.

I would have to stick with the Dawn. I do not want to share a hot tub or villa with strangers. I love the Villa which was very comfortable when docked and at sea. On the Dawn the Villa belongs to you and only you.

I can say nothing negative about the Dawn Garden Villa 14000. The wood and varnish were all perfect, there were no "sweat" stains. It must have just been redone. The greenery was not faded. The carpets, wall coverings, furniture were all excellent. There were no burn holes. I cannot speak about GV14500 but 14000 was perfect. I am a frequent traveller amd very picky about the little things. Except for an off track shower door everything was perfect.

I would have to stick with the Dawn. I do not want to share a hot tub or villa with strangers. I love the Villa which was very comfortable when docked and at sea. On the Dawn the Villa belongs to you and only you.

Thanks for sharing - great information. We will be on the Star in November and then the Gem in April - both times in the GV. My question is about tipping the butler, room steward and concierge. Are you given any guidelines? If not, can you share how much you think is fair under the assumption you would utilize the butler often and the concierge a little less.

Thanks and can't wait.

Cat

There was not a blender in the Garden Villa, just a cocktail shaker. All the mixers were given to us. You get 6 large bottles of alcohol with the room, then the butler just provided the mixers we asked for.

Tipping is a good question. We finally received a guideline after lots of inquiry.

Concierge $200 - $500 depending on service. Ours was great we tipped high

Butler: $100 - $300- Once again we tipped high

Room Steward - $100 - $200 but was not necessary since they share in the tips that you have paid daily as well. The butler and concierge did not. Still, we tipped high.

The Service from Anshuman, Henry and Caesar was excellent. I would hire them in a second.

I posted on the board earlier but haven't gotten a response. Is there a blender in the Courtyard Villa, and what is the charge for mixers for all that liquor we get?

Do you mean Garden Villa?

No, but ask for it.:) I asked for and got a bar blender and lots o' ice. Then, ask for your favorite mixer(s). I asked for the Pina Colada mixer, which is the mixer that the bars use...just add rum, ice and blend. Had great Pina Coladas for each and every sailaway -- and in-between!:D

Have a great time in the GV -- it's a very special place.

There was not a blender in the Garden Villa, just a cocktail shaker. All the mixers were given to us. You get 6 large bottles of alcohol with the room, then the butler just provided the mixers we asked for.

Tipping is a good question. We finally received a guideline after lots of inquiry.

Room Steward - $100 - $200 but was not necessary since they share in the tips that you have paid daily as well. The butler and concierge did not. Still, we tipped high.

The Service from Anshuman, Henry and Caesar was excellent. I would hire them in a second.

Billy,

Thanks for the tip information. Just to clarify, there are three couples staying in the GV so would that be $100-$300 total for the week for the butler or $100-$300 for the week from each couple?

Your talking about spending $1000.00 on tips alone?????Thats alot of

money. Your pictures are great, I never realized that the Villas on the Dawn werent like the Villas that we got to look at while we were on the Gem.....The Dawn Villas look so much more personal......

The Villa and the Tips were worth every penny. That was the total amount not per person. Yes it was a lot but they deserved every penny. If we were more than two people I think we would have tipped more but I really think the guideline would apply to the room not for each couple.

An extra $1000 in tips is not a lot when the room is the Garden Villa and the service is exceptional.

I am working on fixing some of the pictures. So many of them are duplicates (and sideways). Sorry about that. I have been doing a lot of research and for us these villas are perfect. I don't think I could deal with a shared villa or smaller garden after what I have experienced on the Dawn.

Archived