Caracus (La Guaira)

LIMPIT

Due to visit Caracus on the Sea Princess April 30th 2009, very little information available on this destination, with warnings not to travel independently but only on a Princess endorsed offical tour, if this is so why do Princess continue to visit this location, has any other CC members any experiences to share on this unusual cruise stop off !

Lee :confused: :confused: :confused:

Others may disagree with me, but unless it has changed a lot in the last few years, yes, stick to the ship tours. LaGuaira is a large commercial port, Caracas is over the mountains, a distance away. Huge city, lots of slums going in, soldiers with guns everywhere, best coffee I ever had. Why does Princesss stop there? Could be lots of reasons but probably include reasonable and easily accessible fuel, water, and perhaps food among other things. Cruise ships need to be practical as well as stop at ports designed only for passengers pleasure.

Looks like we are on the same cruise, we will just be staying on board that day and enjoying a bit sunbathing and a drink. The general feeling I have picked up is that the fuel is vastly cheaper than anywhere else and that is the only reason for stopping there. If you are embarking in Barbados on 18th april there is a roll call set up in that section.

Been there on a cruise before.Went to city and Murano glass factory in mountains.City surrounded be mountains with shacks all up the mountains.People from all over that the gov't doesn't even know who they are.I heard they come down from the mountains at night and a lot of robberies,etc.I enjoyed the tour throughout city and hotel for lunch,etc.Drove by a lot of rich homes,all with armed guards,etc.Coming back from the murano glass factory the bus driver encountered fog with the temperature change and he actually drove up on the sidewalk once,almost hitting some people.That was a little hairraising!Tons of houses coming down mountains,no doors,windows,etc.:eek: :)

Archived