Tauranga Rentals

BlackJack2

We want to rent a car in Tauranga and drive to Rotorua for the day. The only rental company that is open on Sunday is Pegasus Rental Cars. They sound great (delivery of the car at the pier) but I am concerned about insurance. Where can I purchase additional insurance? Our auto insurance in Texas does not cover rentals in NZ.

We want to rent a car in Tauranga and drive to Rotorua for the day. The only rental company that is open on Sunday is Pegasus Rental Cars. They sound great (delivery of the car at the pier) but I am concerned about insurance. Where can I purchase additional insurance? Our auto insurance in Texas does not cover rentals in NZ.

I think you will find that Pegasus will offer you insurance if you pay an additional amount on top of the car hire rate. Check with them.

Blackjack2, are you taking out travel insurance? We found that ours covered car hire excess of up to $2500. So if we had have had an accident in the Pegasus car we would have had to pay Pegasus the excess and then claim it back from our travel insurance.

Our auto insurance doesn't cover it at all either. The unfortunate thing about Pegasus is that they don't have a excess reduction payment if you want to go that way.

Blackjack, we are on the same cruise as you are. We have rented a car in Tauranga on Sunday from New Zealand Rent a Car. They "will be waiting on the dock by the rental car flag when we disembark." They are reasonable. We are paying for the rental by credit card and the card has insurance that is valid in New Zealand so we do not have to pay for any additional.

Where are you going? We have mapped out a route around Lake Rotorua stopping at Rainbow springs, Hamurana Springs and Okera Falls. We are going to stop at the skyline rides and have a luge and gondola ride. We will find the thermal springs and Te Puia.The Buried Village is in the vicinty if the mood strikes us.

Hi Scottjeanne -

We rented a car from Pegasus. We still aren't sure about the liability insurance. We are going to just tour around, stopping at Longridge Park to take a jet boat ride, then over to Skyline Gondolas, Agrodome, and Zorbing. From there we decided to travel around the area & then head back to the ship.

I have just confirmed my rental with Pegasus and it has changed conditions from January. We booked the cruiseship deal for $90 which effectively offered a $40 car hire rate (possible older car) and $25 for unlimited kms and $25 for cruiseship pickup.

In January we hired a minivan for $120 and it had unlimited kms and there was also no $25 fee.

This is direct from our booking confirmation:

INSURANCE DETAILS:

An insurance excess of $2812. incl gst applies for multi-vehicle accidents and $2812. incl gst for a single vehicle accident which can be reduced by paying an extra daily fee of $15.00. Windscreen cover is available at $5 per day (min 4 day hire), but is included in 1 of our insurance options. We do not charge for extra drivers, but all licences must be sighted at the time of hire.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Scottjeanne -

We rented a car from Pegasus. We still aren't sure about the liability insurance. We are going to just tour around, stopping at Longridge Park to take a jet boat ride, then over to Skyline Gondolas, Agrodome, and Zorbing. From there we decided to travel around the area & then head back to the ship.

Blackjack,

I think we may be doing the same activities that you are. I was going to avoid renting a car and try to find a tour but am having a hard time. Did you see any tours for those types of excursions, or is that why you ended up renting a car?

Thanks,

Aimee

Blackjack,

I think we may be doing the same activities that you are. I was going to avoid renting a car and try to find a tour but am having a hard time. Did you see any tours for those types of excursions, or is that why you ended up renting a car?

Thanks,

Aimee

Hi Aimee -

There are six of us traveling together and we thought it would be easier just to rent a car. We have some activities planned, but we wanted the freedom to just explore on our own. We did not find any excursions that would cover the activities we had planned. HAL had an excursion that kind of fit the plan, but the price (with six people) was way too much!

Archived