My cruise now costs much less than I paid for it.

Audi

I had originally paid for a guarantee inside cabin. When the prices first went down (about a month ago) I called my TA and was able to get an oceanview for the price that I had paid. Tonight I see that the oceanview cabins have dropped an additional $200 p.p. Our ship sails in 8 days. Since final payment has been made to Celebrity is it possible that my husband and I can get our $400 back or if not can we get credit for ship purchases? A balcony is out of the question since it is about $600 p.p. more than our oceanview cabin.

I had originally paid for a guarantee inside cabin. When the prices first went down (about a month ago) I called my TA and was able to get an oceanview for the price that I had paid. Tonight I see that the oceanview cabins have dropped an additional $200 p.p. Our ship sails in 8 days. Since final payment has been made to Celebrity is it possible that my husband and I can get our $400 back or if not can we get credit for ship purchases? A balcony is out of the question since it is about $600 p.p. more than our oceanview cabin.

I dont think so.

If the official price on the website has dropped, you may indeed be able to get a refund or credit. However if the new price you are quoting is a "sale" price that you've seen through a TA, it may be for new bookings only, in which case you cannot get a refund or credit.

definitely call to find out! Happy cruising

Cathy

Definitely ask, because we just had the same situation. Our cruise leaves in 3 weeks, and I found out that our oceanview room was selling for far less than what we paid. So, I contacted our TA, and long story short, we got back $550 and an upgrade to a concierge class balcony room. It's all about asking the right question, though. Ask SPECIFICALLY how much it would cost to do an upgrade (if you're interested) and how much money you would get back. And we'd made our final payment on the trip in July, so it's possible to get the refund even now. But don't be afraid to ask for exactly what you want!

Which sailing are you on? Is it the Oct. 30 Constellation? If so, the new price may be a Happy Hour special and in that case, it's open only to new bookings.

But it's worth giving it a try.

Jo-Ann

Yes always ask what the TA can do. (You could even whine a bit and let the TA know that it is disappointing and that you''ll have to reconsider booking early in the future if the prices can't be matched. ) Even a $50 obc would be nice. Let us know as this comes up all the time!!

Yes always ask what the TA can do. (You could even whine a bit and let the TA know that it is disappointing and that you''ll have to reconsider booking early in the future if the prices can't be matched. ) Even a $50 obc would be nice. Let us know as this comes up all the time!!

Good idea asking the TA to check for you.... but to have them whine for you or to whine to the TA to get satisfaction with an indiscreet threat of not booking early, is not going to get any different answer I assure you.

Hi Audi !

As long as its a normal price drop, and not a "Happy Hour" special, (and being that your sailing is 8 days away, we know its not) or other "New Bookings Only" sale..... you should have a pretty good chance of getting a credit.

As others have suggested, you should have your TA call Celebrity, and see if they can make it happen for you.

Please let us know what happens, and Good Luck !

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Since my cruise is only a week away, I didn't have much hope of getting the discounted price. But having gotten so much great information from Cruise Critic travelers in the past, I decided to see what you all had to say. With your encouragement I called my TA this morning. She called Celebrity and lo and behold my husband and I now have $400.00 more to spend on our cruise. My TA said that I will probably go from a window to a porthole "in the bowels of the ship". I won't know for sure where we will be until we board but we don't mind that. We have had a number of inside cabins in the past and will again. Looking at the Mediterranean through a porthole will be just fine. Thanks for all your help.

I have had this same situation come up many times and have almost always gotten money back or an onboard credit. In fact my TA usually calls me to say she has already accomplished this by the time I've read about the new price.

I must say I don't think much of your TA's statement to you that you'll end up 'in the bowels of the ship'. This seems to me to be a little mean spirited. Not to mention unporfessional. Almost like she's trying to tell you they will 'punish' you for taking the obc! i don't believe my TA would ever say or even think that way. But then I have a FABULOUS travel agent!

In any case, I'm glad you'll be a little richer on this cruise and that you have such a great attitude. After all, being in any cabin on a ship is better than being home!:D

I agree--the comment was unnecessary. And given that they are still reducing prices 8 days before sailing, there must be a lot of unsold cabins--they won't put you in the 'bowels' if there are better cabins unoccupied. You will be fine!!

Have a great trip--and where are you going?

Cathy

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Since my cruise is only a week away, I didn't have much hope of getting the discounted price. But having gotten so much great information from Cruise Critic travelers in the past, I decided to see what you all had to say. With your encouragement I called my TA this morning. She called Celebrity and lo and behold my husband and I now have $400.00 more to spend on our cruise. My TA said that I will probably go from a window to a porthole "in the bowels of the ship". I won't know for sure where we will be until we board but we don't mind that. We have had a number of inside cabins in the past and will again. Looking at the Mediterranean through a porthole will be just fine. Thanks for all your help.

Please make sure to come back to tell us where on the ship your cabin is. I agree not to nice about the comment of bowels of the ship.

Laura

I am after Final Payment on Solstice and last week Senior Rates made an appearance. As I have done several times before I asked for the reduced rates and recieved a Credit Card refund. Since I was not upgrading to a different cabin category I kept the same cabin. There should be no need to change cabins in order to get the refund.

I didn't like my TA's answer, either. I don't think that she wanted to check on this for me. But in her defense, I think that she was very busy because I had to wait on hold for a very long time before she was able to take my call. I have booked directly through the cruise lines for several years. I like to do the research on the ships, ports, etc. on my own and then call when I have decided which cruise I want to take. But for some reason that I can't recall, I called a TA this time. I told her which cruise I wanted to go on - the date, the ship, everything, so all she had to do was make the reservation. I even made my own airline reservations. I think that in the future I will go back to calling the cruise lines. You can get hold of someone 7 days a week if you have a question.

The Celebrity website is still showing the same oceanview cabin for us but that may change by the time we get to the dock. But as I said before I can be happy anywhere on a cruiseship. I'll let you know where I ended up when I return. Cathy Cruises: We are going on a Western Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona. I can't wait! Thanks again to everyone for all of your help.

All of the RCCL lines are very good about reducing prices until the day of the ship sailing...

You state that you upgraded to an oceanview so you should have an oceanview even after you recieved the lower price...

Keep watching the prices.. Ask your travel agent to keep checking to lower your price...A good TA would do that for you without you asking...

Archived