New Cruiser

happyphaze

My husband and I will be on the Carnival Pride, April 5-11th. I am SO excited. Our honeymoon, in July, was interrupted by a hurricane and we were unable to take advantage of the secluded beach resort we were staying at. So we are treating this cruise, which we're taking for our 1 year anniversary, as our real honeymoon. It starts the day after my birthday and ends the day before our anniversary. Perfect timing.

We've only been on a cruise once before. It was a 3-day and it was fun, but it was for my husband's work and the weather wasn't too good then either (early March so it was a little too chilly to enjoy the pool or anything). We are so excited because this will be our first real cruise.

We have an 8A balcony guaranteed room. I actually intended to choose a room number but apparently pushed the wrong button. From what people have been saying though, that seems to be the way to go. The worst that can happen is we get the room we want. I was worried at first because I was afraid we'd end up without a room. But everyone here seems to say downgrades aren't possible and there is a possibility of an upgrade. So, my mistake was a happy accident I guess.

Any advice for us, since we are basically new to cruising and 100% new to Carnival?

Thanks! emotion-2.gif

congrats on your honeymoon cruise. my advice? read these boards. there is SO much to be learned here (like the guarantee upgrade potential), and lots of information that can allow you to take the fullest advantage of the experience.

a few ideas - pack half the clothes you think you'd need, take twice the cash you think you'll spend, tip often and well, read the capers and plan the activities you'll be interested in, bring post it notes to leave messages for the steward, bring a small soft-sided cooler to keep your drinks cold, fly in very early or the day before to reduce the stress level, don't bother with the drink tickets (imo), ask for the 'big glass' with your cocktails (it's twice as big as normal), and don't forget you can order as much of anything you want in the dining room - just eat it ;-)

i see you're going to grand cayman and ocho rios - if you want to plan ahead, you can find the port & shopping guides for both ports in my review of the destiny. i also am covering dunns river falls / mystic mountain in jamaica and stingray city in grand cayman. the link's in my signature, take a look.

and last but not least - go with an open mind, don't let the little things bother you, and have a GREAT time - you will.

Hello, and WELCOME! :D

The Pride was our first cruise......great ship! You'll have a wonderful time.

My advice is the same as falkcor ~ READ, READ, READ the boards! :D So much great information here. There is a section for First Time Cruisers.....go to the bottom of the page where it says "Forum Jump".....click on that and scroll down to the First Time Cruisers section.

Congrats on your anniversary. Enjoy! :)

Only one cruise under my belt but I learned soooooooooooooooooo much reading these boards. Please keep in mind that most of the posts are good but sometimes people can be and are and will continue to be P.I.T.A. (pain in the ...) and will complain about every little stupid thing imaginable. There are so many fun things to do, see, eat, etc... that if something or someone does not tickle your fancy move on. I usually plan two or three things to do and if one thing doesn't work out I move on to the next. Remember, havin fun is up to you.

stu

There's not much to add here, everyone's covered it very well,,,

I, too, only have one cruise under my belt (going on another one in 11 days,,,wooo hoooo), but I spent many a night as a travel agent on many a ship sitting in port,,,,it was enough to make me jealous enough to book my own!!! Every ship has her own personality, though,,,,and it's really fun getting to know yours :)

Anyhoo,,,,CONGRATS on the second honeymoon,,,,My first honeymoon was a bust as well,,,,HORRIBLE trip,,,just horrible,,,but 25 years later, we laugh so hard about the hotel clerk who wanted us to pay by "the hour",,,and my husband kept saying "I want to spend the WHOLE NIGHT,,,we are MARRIED",,,,to a chinese man in Canada who could bearly speak English,,,

My only excuse for that one is that I wasn't yet a travel agent,,,oh if only I had known that we could have cruised for about half what we spent for that vacation,,,,,,,sigh,,,

5 years later, I was a travel agent, and we did cruise, and called it "our honeymoon",,,,,,,and we had a BLAST,,,

so,,,,I wish you the same,,,a wonderful second honeymoon to replace the horrible first one,,,,,and a wonderful marriage :) Enjoy :) Holly

Archived