Hotels near LAX - long layover

bobsydney

I have read various suggestions of hotels on this forum but as I am not familiar with LA at all, thought I would outline our circumstances and seek ideas from CJW and the other LA gurus who are so generous in offering advice to CC'ers.

We (my wife and I) arrive at LAX from SJU very late on a Sunday evening (12:30am) and then fly out for home late the following evening (Mon 11:30pm). We are therefore looking for a nice hotel that:

• within easy reach of LAX at night (ideally by shuttle but given time of night, will use a cab if necessary)
  • is reasonably priced (say around $150)
  • in an area that offers eating options and something to see/do during the afternoon without too much hassle; and
  • ideally provides a very late checkout or day rate service so that we can shower/change/nap before heading to the airport

Look forward to hearing suggestions.

Thanks

Bob

I imagine someone will post a map of Los Angeles with the various sightseeing attractions here (I hope), but in the meantime, I'll give you a little info.

Los Angeles is a very large and widespread area (bigger than some countries, well, I'm kidding, but still...). LAX is on the westside in an area that's basically surrounded by industry (and the unfortunate souls who live in the flight path). Not much there as far as any interesting sights or great restaurants. If you were catching an early morning flight, without any need to go elsewhere, I would have suggested just staying at an airport hotel (like the LAX Marriott).

One place to consider, but I'm not sure about the price range, is Santa Monica. It's a nice quiet city on the west side so it's not too far from the airport. You can eat and shop at the Third Street Promenade, an outdoor mall. You won't be too far from the Getty Museum, which is near Brentwood (it's right next to the infamous 405 freeway).

Not sure what kind of sights you're interested in, but you can check into a city tour that would take you to places like Hollywood, Farmers' Market, that kind of touristy stuff.

I have read various suggestions of hotels on this forum but as I am not familiar with LA at all, thought I would outline our circumstances and seek ideas from CJW and the other LA gurus who are so generous in offering advice to CC'ers.

We (my wife and I) arrive at LAX from SJU very late on a Sunday evening (12:30am) and then fly out for home late the following evening (Mon 11:30pm). We are therefore looking for a nice hotel that:

• within easy reach of LAX at night (ideally by shuttle but given time of night, will use a cab if necessary)
  • is reasonably priced (say around $150)
  • in an area that offers eating options and something to see/do during the afternoon without too much hassle; and
  • ideally provides a very late checkout or day rate service so that we can shower/change/nap before heading to the airport

Look forward to hearing suggestions.

Thanks

Bob

And Bob...

You are in super good luck in two ways here.;)

#1 I'm not super swamped with work, so I'm watching the boards and posting right now...

#2 I've been working on, and about to put together reports on three different hotels that I've figured out that completely work for your specific question!:D

Here are three hotels that fit the bill for:

Shuttles to and from LAX

Very reasonable for the area

Not directly at or around LAX, so things to do and nice in the area for sightseeing and restaurants...

I'll post them separately so I don't lose the info after this.

#1 Choice...

Foghorn Inn

Click on this link to see my previous report and pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724713

Free shuttle included with the room price.

They will arrange it to accommodate your schedule.

Lovely Marina Del Ray and great restaurants in walking distance.

You can also walk a couple blocks the next day to stroll the Venice Boardwalk or the Venice Canals!

Generally about $150ish, depending on day and time of year (but a great deal when you consider that you would have to pay $20 or so to and from for a cab).

Choice #2

(When I have two seconds, I have pictures and a report to complete on this)

Radisson Hotel Los Angeles Westside

http://www.radisson.com/culvercityca

6161 W. Centinela Ave., Culver City, CA 90230

(310) 649-1776

Free shuttle to and from LAX. About 3 miles away, so really close without being stuck on the main airport street that has nothing around it if you don't have a car.

For afternoon/evening before and dinner:

http://www.hhpromenade.com/

5 minutes walk (up a little hill).

Restaurants, shopping, the best theater in Los Angeles!

This is last choice for you, because of what you want.

Without a car, there is not a lot around, but they will shuttle you to Plaza El Segundo or Manhattan Village during the day for lunch/strolling if you want.

They are great shopping mall/restaurant areas, but then you are dependent on their shuttle schedule for that.

Hacienda Hotel

At Los Angeles Intl Airport,

525 N Sepulveda Boulevard

El Segundo, CA 90245, United States

310-615-0015 www.haciendahotel.com

This hotel is a not well known...

It is going for about $75 on kayak dot com, and booking buddy dot com.

The only thing is don't stay in The West Wing! It's the oldest part. I think any bad reviews must have stayed in that section, and I could see why people are disappointed.

Unlike them, you do research and listen to people like me who actually stay in places like this and know all the good aspects.

But another for the value, good hotel.

469a68cc93b61ff0e6943c04d1d33fb9.jpg

The two good sections to stay in are the South Tower - if you want a view of the pool...

2dd42753375fea46ea7d4b69e21f08bf.jpg

The other one is a Courtyard Room - if you want a balcony and face into the courtyard...

9db705c57d0f8e16a785af1cdecc9e67.jpg

They also have free shuttles to and from LAX.

There is a small shopping center across the street with a large supermarket.

So there you go!

Those are the best three in order of my preference, and what is best for your situation.

When I have more time, I'm going to be doing a full report with pictures on each one.

But, you have the exclusive first pre-report from me there.

Should be enough for you to make a great choice on what you want and need!

Enjoy and keep us updated, or let me know if you have any more questions!

:D

So there you go!

Those are the best three in order of my preference, and what is best for your situation.

When I have more time, I'm going to be doing a full report with pictures on each one.

But, you have the exclusive first pre-report from me there.

Should be enough for you to make a great choice on what you want and need!

Enjoy and keep us updated, or let me know if you have any more questions!

:D

Curt, you are a champion. Will have a look at these hotels and let you know what I think.

Thanks heaps

Bob

#1 Choice...

Foghorn Inn

Click on this link to see my previous report and pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724713

Free shuttle included with the room price.

They will arrange it to accommodate your schedule.

Lovely Marina Del Ray and great restaurants in walking distance.

You can also walk a couple blocks the next day to stroll the Venice Boardwalk or the Venice Canals!

Generally about $150ish, depending on day and time of year (but a great deal when you consider that you would have to pay $20 or so to and from for a cab).

Curt how far from LAX is this hotel? I'm looking for a post cruise one night stay so these suggestions are great! Thanks for sharing your tips :)

Curt how far from LAX is this hotel? I'm looking for a post cruise one night stay so these suggestions are great! Thanks for sharing your tips :)

It's only about 5 miles.

It probably only takes about 10 minutes (15 at the most), as you don't have to take any freeways.

The streets you take are just local surface streets that never have a lot of traffic...:D

It's only about 5 miles.

It probably only takes about 10 minutes (15 at the most), as you don't have to take any freeways.

The streets you take are just local surface streets that never have a lot of traffic...:D

Thank you this is a great option then!! I'm going to have to go back tonight and show this to my husband. I looked at so many hotels last night they are all starting to blur so please forgive me if this was already mentioned....this was the hotel that has other things to do around it right? I'd mainly be looking for resturants. The beach looks great too!

Thank you this is a great option then!! I'm going to have to go back tonight and show this to my husband. I looked at so many hotels last night they are all starting to blur so please forgive me if this was already mentioned....this was the hotel that has other things to do around it right? I'd mainly be looking for resturants. The beach looks great too!

Yes! I think this is one of the best LAX hotel options around (so much better than being stuck in one of those on the main airport strip)...

Free shuttle included with the price of the room.

Restaurants nearby...

The Cheesecake Factory (the second one ever)...

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/

Right on the waterfront...

Baja Cantina a couple blocks away...

http://www.bajacantinavenice.com/

Kifune for local sushi

http://www.kifune.com/

Islands for local burgers and a basket of fries

http://www.islandsrestaurants.com/

Cafe Mermaids - for a tiny local breakfast/lunch place...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mermaids-juice-java-and-more-marina-del-rey

You've also got Mother's Beach right in front of the hotel...

I recommend a nice stroll through the Venice Canals...

http://www.homeandabroad.com/c/17/Site/71748_Venice_Canal_Walk_visit.html

Further walking (1/2 mile) is Venice Beach...

http://www.westland.net/venice/

So as you can see, lots more to do than at the normal airport hotels!

Hope that helps!

• 3 months later...

Hi Curt

Having asked the question and got your advice, thought I'd let you know what we ended up doing.

I had planned to book the Radisson at Culver City but when our flights were changed, resulting in us having a 2 day stopover instead of a 23 hr one, I decided the Foghorn Harbor Inn was a better option, and have just booked it. We'll now have a leisurely day "chilling out" in Venice Beach and Santa Monica, and then most likely, having dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.

Thanks again for the advice and help ... much appreciated

Cheers

Bob

Archived