Have to ask: Smoking on Verandahs

Zoolander

Will be cruising on the Magic in just a couple weeks. We have cruised SilverSea and Regent in the past, and there were never any issues with the amount of smoke coming from other verandahs. I have seen in other threads and in other Disney reviews that people were really disappointed on how bad it is getting because people have to step out to smoke. Is it an issue? Have to admit, I am surprised that Disney doesn't have a stronger policy on smoking with all the children on board. Thanks.

If you are wondering, yes we do have a verandah as do our child and son in law (7th floor), plus, yes, I am sensitive to the smoke (guess I wouldn't even bring it up if I wasn't).

I mean, in todays day and age, I go months now without even coming across any cigarette smoke. This will be a change.

Will be cruising on the Magic in just a couple weeks. We have cruised SilverSea and Regent in the past, and there were never any issues with the amount of smoke coming from other verandahs. I have seen in other threads and in other Disney reviews that people were really disappointed on how bad it is getting because people have to step out to smoke. Is it an issue? Have to admit, I am surprised that Disney doesn't have a stronger policy on smoking with all the children on board. Thanks.

If you are wondering, yes we do have a verandah as do our child and son in law (7th floor), plus, yes, I am sensitive to the smoke (guess I wouldn't even bring it up if I wasn't).

I mean, in todays day and age, I go months now without even coming across any cigarette smoke. This will be a change.

I was on the Sept 27 sailing of the magic..and for us it was horrible. Either the people next to us never left their cabin, or always were in it when we were in ours. EVERY single time (2-3 times a day) I went out on our veranda to try and relax, read, knit, whatever - they were either out there smoking or came out within 5 minutes. No exceptions. We've decided we won't bother with Veranda's anymore on Disney - its too much extra money not to be able to enjoy it. At one point during the sailing Disney made a shipwide announcement reminding people to smoke only in designated areas, and to be considerate to those in neighboring cabins - but they added "particularly those neighboring cabins with small children". There was no change in behavior from our neighbors. I was thinking Disney would be wise to designate certain cabins as smoking cabins so that the neighboring people don't have to tolerate it...but somehow I doubt that will happen.

I for the life of me do not -- repeat, do NOT -- understand why Disney banned balcony smoking at its land properties but has not on the cruise line. DCL management really needs a loud wake up call on this - NOW.

And in that direction, here are some quotes on this issue from a certain well known Disney board:

"I think its outrageous that Disney won't correct the situation and rather the cruisers have to resort to talking about it on a message board and discussing whether they should approach the other smokers themselves. Disney has to know its a problem, they are too big and successful to not have any idea, they just don't do anything about it IMO. It probably means less money if they have to separate the guests out."

"I hope smokers read this. I wish that they would not allow smoking on the verandah. We were on the Magic in June. Our neighbor smoked a cigar constantly on the verandah. It was horrible. I am on chemotherapy and could not stand the smell of the smoke. I never went out on the verandah because he was smoking. I was nauseaous because of the odor."

"We had this issue on our 10 day cruise. My DH got sick on the cruise with Bronchitis and he couldn't breathe out on the verandah because we were surrounded by people who smoked. He had to avoid the verandah all together because it made it worse for him and our neighbors were constantly out there smoking. Instead he stayed inside miserable and sick. It would have been perfect for him to go out on the verandah to relax but it just wasn't possible with the smoking. Because of this experience, we will only get porthole rooms."

"We have friends who took a DCL cruise with a Verandah and they complained to us after that they were unable to use their verandah at all due to the heavy smoking from others'. Because of that, I won't even consider getting one, I have 3 small children, one who has asthma (as does my husband) and the other two we are waiting to see in the future if they truly have it too. I also HATE cigarette smoke. So, disney won't get my money for it until its a guaranteed fix!"

"We had a verandah on the 10 day Wonder and encountered smokers as well. For the very reason of smoking allowed on them, we prefer to have portholes. All cruisers pay the same for the verandahs but some can't use them for health reasons because of smokers."

To be fair, I think people are going to be more apt to chime in here if they DID have a problem, perceived or real. People who didn't have a problem with smoke/smokers are going to be less apt to respond.

Bottom line is that DCL allows smoking on the verandahs. If you get stuck next to a chain smoker and you can't take the smell, then that's a risk.

How many chain smokers are still out there?

I'm talking chain smokers who spend all their waking hours on the verandah smoking from 7am - midnight?

Reading some posts either here or on that "other" board, you'd think that's all cruisers with verandahs deal with: chain smokers who go no where else on the ship but their own verandahs. The chain smokers order room service for all their meals, eat on the verandah, and sleep out there too. Making the verandah, of course, COMPLETELY unusable. :rolleyes:

Ask yourself seriously how often that really happens. Or is it just a matter of chance and annoyance that the smoking neighbors and the anti-smoking neighbors just happened to be on the same schedule. And instead of adjusting the schedule a bit, don't use their verandah at all and instead complain of the woe on a message board. I think that if you're polite and reasonable (and not act like you're owed something), most smokers are considerate if you try to work out a schedule.

You also run the risk of neighboring with a casual smoker: one who has his cigarette, maybe 2, in the morning, maybe a time in the afternoon for 10 minutes, and then again maybe before he goes to bed for 10 minutes. Or a cigar smoker who might enjoy one cigar on vacation every night before bed. Can you handle that? I wouldn't doubt that some militant anti-smokers consider the above situation to be "an unusable verandah due to a chain smoker!!!!!"

I think people get carried away. And I think it's easy to do on an anonymous message board.

If all the people who had a problem took the time to write to Disney directly or on their comment cards what they post publicly on a message board, perhaps DCL would change their policy.

Until everyone who has a problem reports it directly to DCL, includes it in their comment cards, and writes to the head office instead of anonymously reporting it on a public message board, nothing is going to change.

P.S., No, I am not a smoker.

Until Disney's policy improves, you take a chance of being uncomfortable or downright miserable due to drifting smoke when booking a verandah. You might luck out and have no nearby smokers - we've had lots of good balcony experiences. But we've had enough bad experiences to convince us to stop booking them except on ships where balconies are smoke-free. It's only a matter of time.

Thanks for all of your valuable info. I will let you know how it goes when I get back in Mid-November. Looks like the old Clint Eastwood line; "are you feeling lucky?" will come into play here. I hope we are!

MikeThe Mars: Good info, I appreciate it. Problem or not, I will probably make a comment on what direction I think Disney should go concerning smoking.

AlexaAndNess: Thanks for detailed comment. We live in Central Texas now and will be moving back to Southern California at the end of the year. It IS different here, much higher rate of smokers and there are a good number of chain smokers, and I am sorry a good number of them don't care what you think. Saw one the other day at a Starbucks that didn't care what her child thought either as she was at least eight months pregnant and still lighting up. Austin threw a fit when they improved their smoking policies, and even our forward thinking condo downtown had issues with the progressively thinking smoking policies.

I realize it is a very strong addiction, as I have lost both my parents to lung cancer, but there is another contingency that just believes it is their right and wouldn't know what fresh air was if it hit them in the head like a lightning bolt.

Either way, thanks everyone, and I will let you know how it all works out. I may attatch our four year old grandson to my hip and just point to him when someone lights up!

Would you prefer them to smoke in the cabin and smell up the place? Then when you booked another cruise the room would smell like smoke. Smokers pay for their cruise just like you do and as long as Disney allows them to smoke on the veranda's you will just have to tolerate it. From the way you people make it sound it's like the majority on the ship are smokers, if that is the case why would Disney ban it all together. Think about how much money they would lose.:rolleyes:

Sappygirl,

That is kind of the point: 1) More luxurious, and much more expensive cruiselines (Regent, Oceania, etc.), have really modified their smoking policies because of the health ramifications (and are doing just fine), and 2) Though I realize there are numerous adults-only that travel on this line, the focus is Disney, and because of that their is a great focus on children. (I do still see parents smoking with their children in the car with the windows up, sometimes someone has to make policies to protect us from ourselves!)

People have said on this board that the smoking on the verandahs sometimes gets out of hand, and its almost unbearable to deal while on the more expensive verandahs. On a cruise that focuses on children? Why?

Anyway, Disney must know that there are other cruiselines that really cater to smokers, like RCCL and Holland America, and if they have changed their policy on land, why not on water?

Anyway, if it is an issue, Disney won't receive a good word from, nor another penny. So, it works both ways concerning their revenue stream, there are just too many options out there to have to put up with loads of second hand smoke while living in the 21st Century.

We'll see. "Feeling Lucky"

Sappygirl,

That is kind of the point: 1) More luxurious, and much more expensive cruiselines (Regent, Oceania, etc.), have really modified their smoking policies because of the health ramifications (and are doing just fine), and 2) Though I realize there are numerous adults-only that travel on this line, the focus is Disney, and because of that their is a great focus on children. (I do still see parents smoking with their children in the car with the windows up, sometimes someone has to make policies to protect us from ourselves!)

People have said on this board that the smoking on the verandahs sometimes gets out of hand, and its almost unbearable to deal while on the more expensive verandahs. On a cruise that focuses on children? Why?

Anyway, Disney must know that there are other cruiselines that really cater to smokers, like RCCL and Holland America, and if they have changed their policy on land, why not on water?

Anyway, if it is an issue, Disney won't receive a good word from, nor another penny. So, it works both ways concerning their revenue stream, there are just too many options out there to have to put up with loads of second hand smoke while living in the 21st Century.

Last time I went to WDW they had smoking areas. (OCT. 07) Yes I know they don't allow it anymore at their lodging which is why we no longer spend our dollars there. Have you thought about the effects of smog, pollution of any kind that will effect everyone in their cities. Will you not drive through states that have chemical plants anymore? People smoke in there homes also. No I don't want anyone to get ill but we smokers are just darn tired of you harping on it everywhere we go. It's not like we go in thinking lets make someone ill today.:rolleyes: We try to be as courteous as possible to non smokers wherever we go. I only wish people with other bad habits would do the same.:rolleyes:

Would you prefer them to smoke in the cabin and smell up the place? Then when you booked another cruise the room would smell like smoke. Smokers pay for their cruise just like you do and as long as Disney allows them to smoke on the veranda's you will just have to tolerate it. From the way you people make it sound it's like the majority on the ship are smokers, if that is the case why would Disney ban it all together. Think about how much money they would lose.:rolleyes:

Yes, this is true and guess what, they come in and smell like smoke and stink anyway..... When they lay across the comforter that does not get changed; :eek: they stink up the whole room anyway..... I guess this is the reason we always recruit enough people to go with us to take up the rooms on each side of us.... As to what another poster said, we have NEVER had a problem, but if we did, I would be the first one into the medic unit with my asthma attack and somehow would get my neighbors or DCL to foot the bill.......;)

Yes, this is true and guess what, they come in and smell like smoke and stink anyway..... When they lay across the comforter that does not get changed; :eek: they stink up the whole room anyway..... I guess this is the reason we always recruit enough people to go with us to take up the rooms on each side of us.... As to what another poster said, we have NEVER had a problem, but if we did, I would be the first one into the medic unit with my asthma attack and somehow would get my neighbors or DCL to foot the bill.......;)

Good luck with me to foot your med bill.:p

PS. This is my last response.

Sappygirl,

Holland and RCI cater to smokers? Seriously? This is news to me.

AlexandNessa,

From Cruise Critic:

Holland America Line

"Where You Can Smoke: Smoking is permitted in cabins, including cabin balconies, on open decks and in designated areas in most public spaces.

Where You Can't: All restaurants are non-smoking, as is the show lounge during performances"

My comment about RCI has to do with members of these boards comments (not positive), as it looks like their policies are similar to that of Disney.

SappyGirl,

Concerning considerate smokers, if I can smell their smoke, it isn't considerate.

Finally, a couple years ago, at one of the finer all-inclusives in Jamaica, their were only two dinner tables on a cliff and it was clear we were eating with a woman who was deep into her third trimester of her pregnancy. The guy next to us, from Tennessee, lit up and pretty much dared us to say something. And please please don't make excuses for your addiction by comparing it to smog and chemical plants. The days that smokers can just light up anywhere and not have a conscience about it are over.

Like I said, I work in the health industry and I go weeks, if not months without smelling cigarette smoke. If it is an issue on this cruise (and for our kids and grandchild), they just won't get my return business. Vegas doesn't. Just because smokers were allowed to run roughshod over non-smokers in the past didn't make it right. Smoking is on its way out, live it up while you can, because only smoking in your house is where this country is headed. People are sick of having to pay the smokers medicals bills, plus having to have their health impacted as well.

My parents both passed away with less than 40% of their lung capacity. Pretty glamorous. As a smoker, I am sure you think so!!! Now go light up!

Archived