? For TA regarding Recession - HELP

I know there are a lot of TA's out there so please tell me this.

Are there a lot of ppl cancelling their cruise plans or not booking. Do you think the cruise industry will have to make some price cuts. Are there a ton of rooms being help but not paid for.

Im planning my spring break cruise and I don't know if I should wait or just book now. It is spring break so I know they generally sell out quickly but not so sure about this year.

My advise - book what you are comfortable with and watch for reductions. There is no "sure thing" about anything.

I have not had a client cancel so far and I'm in Canada where our dollar has dropped over 20%. However, I am hedging my bets and checking things out in Canadian dollars for groups I have booked for next year.

I beleive though that you are asking an impossible to answer question.

My advise - book what you are comfortable with and watch for reductions. There is no "sure thing" about anything.

I have not had a client cancel so far and I'm in Canada where our dollar has dropped over 20%. However, I am hedging my bets and checking things out in Canadian dollars for groups I have booked for next year.

I beleive though that you are asking an impossible to answer question.

I'm actually from Canada too (toronto) I know the CDN dollar has really taken a dive. I did purchase quite a bit of USD when it was above par - thank goodness.

I'm curious to know how many Americans are cancelling. Let's face it we Canadians make up a VERY small portion of who is sailing on the ships. I don't think Canadians are really an issue - they aren't offering any discounts for Canadian residence (they did last year) I think once the cruise lines clue into our dollar they may offer some - but who knows.

I see Holland America has dropped some prices. I think the seniors got hit so hard with the stock market. They just don't have the time to wait for their stocks to go back up - it's very sad.

I think the cut off for holding cabins with a deposit is Jan for March break cruises. I'm wondering if there will be a large amount of cabins suddenly available then. Gosh who knows maybe by then I won't be able to afford it. See - the fear is setting in on me too lol.

I'm actually from Canada too (toronto) I know the CDN dollar has really taken a dive. I did purchase quite a bit of USD when it was above par - thank goodness.

I'm curious to know how many Americans are cancelling. Let's face it we Canadians make up a VERY small portion of who is sailing on the ships. I don't think Canadians are really an issue - they aren't offering any discounts for Canadian residence (they did last year) I think once the cruise lines clue into our dollar they may offer some - but who knows.

I see Holland America has dropped some prices. I think the seniors got hit so hard with the stock market. They just don't have the time to wait for their stocks to go back up - it's very sad.

I think the cut off for holding cabins with a deposit is Jan for March break cruises. I'm wondering if there will be a large amount of cabins suddenly available then. Gosh who knows maybe by then I won't be able to afford it. See - the fear is setting in on me too lol.

There are so many variables now. Some of the cruiselines have been offering Canadian residency rates, you just have to check for them. Of course there could be more as the bookings drop.

Just an educated guess on my part, but I really do believe there are a lot of cancellations happening in the close range anyway.

Canadians make up about 5% of cruisers but when times are tough even 5% counts.

As for when to know if there will be a glut of cabins on a particular cruise - final payment usually tells the tale on that. I believe a lot of Canadian will be dropping at final payment over the short while as our dollar continues to fall - at least for those who have booked in US.

Book now direct with RCCL and then monitor your sailing for price drops. Also sign into your Roll Call and then you have other people watching with you. Some of my best reductions have been picked up by fellow passengers.

WHEN it happens call RCCL and they will honour the new price.

Luv

Cy:)

AS a TA I have not had any cancellations yet...and the cxl rate for the company I work for (a very large online company) is very low. Cruise prices are very low right now, so if you are looking at Spring Break, I would recommend booking when you feel comfortable. New bookings are slow right now, but they generally are this time of year...really don't see much difference from last year. January starts the heavy booking period usually.

I know there are a lot of TA's out there so please tell me this.

Are there a lot of ppl cancelling their cruise plans or not booking. Do you think the cruise industry will have to make some price cuts. Are there a ton of rooms being help but not paid for.

Im planning my spring break cruise and I don't know if I should wait or just book now. It is spring break so I know they generally sell out quickly but not so sure about this year.

We are booked on a March cruise out of NJ. When I booked back in Sept. the only cabins left were inside. Then Promenaid cabins opened up. This past week I think a lot more including JS's are available. So is this because people are canceling or were they being held by Ta's? I would book and not make final payment. Then just keep watching the price.

We are booked on a March cruise out of NJ. When I booked back in Sept. the only cabins left were inside. Then Promenaid cabins opened up. This past week I think a lot more including JS's are available. So is this because people are canceling or were they being held by Ta's? I would book and not make final payment. Then just keep watching the price.

There are almost always a number of cancellations around the time that final payment is due, and earlier, when TAs have to turn back group space that is not under reservation, you will see a sudden surge in available cabins. I think that the recent increase in available rooms that you have noted is more likely the result of unsold group space being turned back to RCI. :) It doesn't appear, however, that at present there is any significant difference in the numbers and the current economic downturn doesn't seem to be resulting in more cancellations than usual. Most ships are continuing to sail at or near capacity.:)

We have had no cancellations for either cruise or land vacations. Last week during the "World's largest Cruise sale" on thursday we had a ton of bookings for our office and I had a good amount of those.

We have had a steady stream of customers and where I am seeing the biggest difference is there are maybe cutting back a bit time wise. They are still traveling but instead of say 8-10 days they are going to 7 day trips for example.

I also feel that people are continuing to book cruises in particular because they are counting on a turn in the economy - at least that's what they are hoping for.

As a cruise can be cancelled within a certain time frame, (depending on length) etc. the only thing that is tied up is the deposit.

I do believe the proof will be in the pudding so to speak, and if this economic crisis continues there will be changes.

As Sue said, people are booking shorter cruises. They are also booking lower categories than they usually would and they don't intend to spend as much onboard or on excursions. For people who live within driving distances of ports - no air.

For those farther from ports, air has to be factored in. But there are still bargains to be got in air as well. Southwest has just completed a sail that saw direct flights from BUF TO FLL for $224 return all taxes included.

Cruiselines are offering more bargains now than they were so that too will keep the bookings coming for awhile.

But it the economy is the same 6/8 months from now?????????????

I also feel that people are continuing to book cruises in particular because they are counting on a turn in the economy - at least that's what they are hoping for.

As a cruise can be cancelled within a certain time frame, (depending on length) etc. the only thing that is tied up is the deposit.

I do believe the proof will be in the pudding so to speak, and if this economic crisis continues there will be changes.

As Sue said, people are booking shorter cruises. They are also booking lower categories than they usually would and they don't intend to spend as much onboard or on excursions. For people who live within driving distances of ports - no air.

For those farther from ports, air has to be factored in. But there are still bargains to be got in air as well. Southwest has just completed a sail that saw direct flights from BUF TO FLL for $224 return all taxes included.

Cruiselines are offering more bargains now than they were so that too will keep the bookings coming for awhile.

But it the economy is the same 6/8 months from now?????????????

Please share this $224 deal - I'm from toronto and we can fly from Buffalo - please share - that would save us a ton of money

Archived