Xtabentun?? In Cozumel?

joeb49

I wonder if anyone there knows where I might buy a bottle (or 2!) of Xtabentun in Cozumel?? Discovered it on a trip many years ago and have a friend in Canada that calls it his "medicine"! Tastes like honey and licorich and is just perfect when you have a cold and just to sip on anytime! Have been unable to find it on other trips to Mexico- think it may just be a product of the Yucatan.

Thanks for any help!

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

There is a wholesale liquor store called "Covi" on 30th ave just north of Benito Juarez St. It is right next door to the San Francisco Supermarket. It is the best place to buy Xtabentun we were able to find. At places like Los Cinco Soles it costs $10-12 for a small bottle, at Covi we paid less then $7 for big liter bottles. Any cab driver should be able to get you to it. If they are confused ask to go to the supermarket and walk next door. You can walk from the town center plaza if you are up for a nice walk. Find the ferry pier and walk directly inland. The sidewalk will eventually become a street that is Jaurez. When you reach the Pemex gas station you have reached 30th ave. Turn left and a half block north or so is Covi. They don't tend to have extended hours so go during business hours to ensure they are open. Also bring pesos, They are not kind with exchange rates.

Can you tell my wife loves this stuff, we brought back 4 liters in September.

Enjoy

Rich

Thanks so much Rich! Your directions are wonderful!!! Sounds like you have been there a time or two??? I got a great map of the island and it has the San Franciso market on it- so know right where to go- thanks to you! Have to get some vanilla for my daughter so will pick it up at that grocery while "in the neighborhood"! lol! Makes me feel like a "local"! Hope you guys bought enough to last you till your next visit!

Solita- hope all the cold weather is gone! We will be there in about a week and look forward to warmth and sunshine and happy smiling people!

You should really try some though! It is yummy!!

As always- am greatful for everyones help!! Can't believe what a difference it all makes!!! And my friend in Canada will be surprised AND VERY greatful too!!! lol!

Thanks! Sue and Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Just a Thank You to sddiver (Rich) for the great directions to Covi! Found it with no problem! Bought just 3 bottles ($7US!) because as I was buying them it dawned on me that I didn't know what our allowance was on a 5 day cruise (as it turned out it is one liter per person- but they didn't charge me the duty anyway).

Next visit will walk from the town center plaza- now that I have the feel of the town better. Maybe my Spanish will be better then too!!!

Thanks again ( and my friend thanks you too!!! He cracked a bottle open last night- cause he "felt a cold coming on!!" Tonight I'm sure he will have a little over the top of his ice cream! lol!

Sue

Sue & Joe, We have a bottle of Xtabentun that we brought back form Puerto Adventura 2 years ago! We intended to use it to make "Mayan Coffee" but once we got back we couldn't remember the exact recipe and haven't been able to locate one anywhere that used Xtabentun. Do you have such a recipe?

Actually we mainly need tips on how to enjoy our bottle! As a cold remedy? Sounds wonderful! Do you drink it at room temp. or over ice? Also do you really pour it over ice cream? And when you just sip it... what temperature do you recommend? (I like my sipping tequilla extremely cold!)

Thanks!!!

Marcia & McCoy

Sue,

Glad you were able to find Covi with ease. Yes I have been there a time or 10 picking up Xtabentun as well as Tequila.

Parrotheads- the bottles we picked up have a little booklet attached around the necks with string. Most if not all the drinks are over ice or chilled.

Here is Mayan coffee in Spanish

Como el irlandes pero en lugar de whiskey se pone

Licor D' Aristi (flameado), kalhua, helado de vanilla,

asucar flameada en la orilla del vaso

Free Translations.com says

As the irlande' s but instead of whiskey Liquor is put D' Aristi (flameado), kalhua, ice cream of vanilla,

azucar flameada in the edge of the glass

Not very helpfull but if you know some Spanish speakers have them try

Enjoy

Rich

Thanks Sally, When I first read your post, was confused until I looked at my bottle :rolleyes: and discovered the name, D'Aristi in big red letters written on it!

When I saw it being made (2 years ago), I should have asked for the directions! (But it looked simple- except of course, burning the sugared rim of the glass...:cool: )

You guys are so great for all the advice! I really didn't intend to twist this thread into a Spanish lesson/Mayan bartending guide but when I saw Xtabentun

mentioned, I just had to ask!

We'll try it this weekend, with our Blue Mountain Coffee. Wow! How Caribbean can you get!

Nice to see we are not the only Xtabentun lovers around!

Other yummies!

MAYAN MARGARITA

1oz D'Aristi and 1oz tequila and lime or lemon juice

frape ice

mix all and serve in champagne cup with salt on rim

My little booklet has about about 10 other recipes on it- in English! as well as Spanish!(Some of them sound like the translation.com version! But I can make them all out!) Including their version of "Sex On The Beach"! lol!

I sip on it at room temp and put it in my hot tea. And it is wonderful when you have a cold or flu! Also like it chilled!

Add some to fruit cocktail!

And its good over pancakes and waffles to!

Let me know if you want more of the recipes!

Enjoy!!!

Thanks Joeb49. They all sound delicious!

Since my regular Margarita recipe is a 6 oz can of Minute Maid frozen limeade, (then use the can to measure) 1 can of tequilla and 1 can of triple sec. add ice and blend.

What do you think it would taste like if I substituted the triple sec for D'Aristi?

Would it just be a large blender of Mayan Margarita or do you think it would be too sweet using the limeade?

Archived