ATLANTIS Auckland to Sydney Feb. 2010

amusea

Considering our economy and the number of cancellations for the 2009 line up, I can see the logic in advertising down under first. 1. it will not swy americans from booking a 2009 cruise. 2. the aussies do not have offerings like this in their coutry...so many will probably jump at the chance to take the cruise. My guess is that the first offering for americans will be on the March asia cruise.....

Me, I will book as soon as I get a chance! I am already scoping out the deck plan and will go for a window cabin as I spend so little time in one. Should I find a great traveling companion, I might shoot for a balcony. In the mean time I will concentrate on researching tour operators in New Zealand so that I can experience some extreme sports.

Considering our economy and the number of cancellations for the 2009 line up, I can see the logic in advertising down under first. 1. it will not swy americans from booking a 2009 cruise. 2. the aussies do not have offerings like this in their coutry...so many will probably jump at the chance to take the cruise. My guess is that the first offering for americans will be on the March asia cruise.....

Me, I will book as soon as I get a chance! I am already scoping out the deck plan and will go for a window cabin as I spend so little time in one. Should I find a great traveling companion, I might shoot for a balcony. In the mean time I will concentrate on researching tour operators in New Zealand so that I can experience some extreme sports.

I thought that it was the policy of ATLANTIS to offer all cruises to alumni first. In any case, I am thinking that it may be offered on the Solstice cruise which occurs two weeks before the Azamara Asia cruise. All alumni are supposed to get an e-mail announcement prior to any general announcement. Regarding the itinerary dates, it is unfortunate that debarkation will take place the morning after the parade. Who is going to go around and drag folks out of their beds at an early hour?:eek: For those who are going directly to the airport they are in for a very long day.

I will not wait for Atlantis to offer any post-cruise accommodations because they usually drag their feet on finding hotel rooms. For the South American cruise from Rio last year they waited so long that they had to offer accommodations in Sao Paulo rather than Rio. Maybe they have learned their lesson but I won't take that chance.

Your presence will be expected on this cruise.

Gary...your presence is expected on this cruise.

Bungee jump, Zorb and anything else they casn come up with!

Tom

Tom, as you know, I've been waiting for this one to come along. If you're looking for a cabin mate, let me know. I'd rather do a mid-to-upper category window room than a veranda/balcony and spend the difference on pre- or post-add-ons.

Hope all went well in your move to FL. :)

The Festival Guide for the 2009 Sydney Mardi Gras carries a full page ad from ATLANTIS for the following:

17 February - 28 February 2010 - Auckland to Sydney Cruise

on the VOLENDAM - carrying 1400 passengers.

The Mardi Gras Parade/Party 2010 is on Saturday 27 February.

This confirms what earlier writers have gleaned - and my travel agent is just a bit miffed that Atlantis will not provide any further information when it is 'out of the bag'.

Do you know if the full page ad in the Festival Guide was just to get people interested or did it state that reservations were now being accepted?

My post did not go through so I will try again. Your comment on cabin selection is right on...will be interesting to see what the fare will be as compared to the normal pricing of Holland America. Hopefully we will meet in March and you can decide if you would lke to do share with me.

Pre cruise for me may be a day or two in New Zealand depending on what there is to see and do. Having been to Sydney..not sure I would hang around, but a day or so at the beach might be fun. In Sydney...you must climb the bridge....it is well worth the time...its a fabulous experience.

Taking the ferry over to Manly beach is a wonderful afternoon tour...some of the sights on the beach are not to be missed.

This weekend I am going to start looking over the ports of call that HAL uses and see what tours are offered and then compare non ship offereings. I cant believe I am already getting excited about this trip when I still have the asia cruise coming up. This cruise addiction must stop...maybe if I get a partner that hates cruises will stop me.

Tom

Your comment on cabin selection is right on...will be interesting to see what the fare will be as compared to the normal pricing of Holland America. Hopefully we will meet in March and you can decide if you would lke to do share with me.

Tom

I'll probably do at least 2 days pre- and 3 or 4 days post-cruise, Tom. This'll be my first visit to the area and there's much to see, as you know.

Yes, I'm looking forward to your SFO stop-over for the Asia cruise. You may want to stay at an airport hotel instead of coming into the City depending on your arrival/departure times. Most of those hotels have airport shuttles. I can easily drive down to SFO to connect for drinks/dinner/conversation.

You guys on the Asia cruise might be the first to get the complete NZ/AUS cruise info and chance to sign-up (and get that $100 discount or whatever).

I'm still thinking of the RSVP late Aug '09 Alaska cruise on HAL, too. The RT from SEA makes the airfare cheap from SFO and I've got good friends in SEA to stay with both pre-and post-cruise. All-in-all not too expensive a vacation.

Keep in touch, Tom, and enjoy the Eurodam. ;) I want a full report!

P.S. If you hear any "dish" about the Alaska cruise while you're on the Eurodam, let me know.

Maybe they have learned their lesson but I won't take that chance.

haha, Rich learning a lesson about timliness of land packages? :D:p:D:p

to quote Margaret Cho: "Queen, please!"

One only need look at the upcoming Asia cruise (and the "survey") that went out around Christmas to realize that people have written off waiting on him to get his act together, and are now very accustomed to making their own land arrangements.

I just found the 2009 Sydney Mardi Gras booklet on-line (it's 88 .pdf pages). Page 17 is the full page ad for this cruise. All is says is "contact your travel agent or see Atlantis' web-site". I really want to do this cruise and was hoping they would do as they usually do and offer it to alumni first. I think this ad is probably consistent with that policy as the cruise is not on their web-site and travel agents don't seem to know anything about it.

I just sent an inquiry e-mail to a gay agency in Texas that I have used for RSVP cruises in the past. I am hoping they may have some advance info on the cruise. I will put in a request for a cabin as soon as I hear it is possible...either on a waiting list or Alumni advance notification.

I want to get a jump on a window cabin before they all sell out; having checked HAL the rpices are nut cheap, although prices may be reduce considering the economy.

I started looking at air fares and routing based on 2009 infor as itn is too early for 2010. May try Air New Zealand...as my first choice, Quantas as second. I will ask Rich Cambell is he will consider doing a Air New Zealand "Pink" flight...I am sure it would be a sell out.

Hey Gary...check out the deck plans for the Volendam....see if there is anything of particular interest in a window category.

Tom

The Festival Guide for the 2009 Sydney Mardi Gras carries a full page ad from ATLANTIS for the following:

17 February - 28 February 2010 - Auckland to Sydney Cruise

on the VOLENDAM - carrying 1400 passengers.

The Mardi Gras Parade/Party 2010 is on Saturday 27 February.

This confirms what earlier writers have gleaned - and my travel agent is just a bit miffed that Atlantis will not provide any further information when it is 'out of the bag'.

Does it list the ports?

Hey Gary...check out the deck plans for the Volendam....see if there is anything of particular interest in a window category.

Tom

...I'm on it, Tom. I have a copy of the Volendam deck plans and will look at the window cabin options. It's a mid-size ship - about 1400 passengers. (Well, not too long ago it would have been considered mid-size. It's probably considered small, now, with all the megaships coming on-line.) :rolleyes:

When we meet in March as you head for your Atlantis Asia cruise, we can finalize our NZ/AUS cruise cabin plans in case you have the option to book while onboard Azamara lines. I'd like to get the discount by booking with you, if possible. Since it looks as if it's a 12-night cruise (right?), wonder if the discount will be more than $100 pp?

BTW, I tried to e-mail you the other day and it bounced. I guess you changed internet providers when you moved to FL. Send me your new one: sfgoguy@comcast.net

Although it's premature to do anything, I may fly United RT SFO/Sydney and do a one-way from Sydney to Aukland on Air NZ or Quantas. But, no need to spend too much time checking fares and itineraries till we know more details on the cruise.

Happy cruising, Tom et al. :)

I just called Atlantis to update my new home address and e-mail (and get access to the alumni website)

Well I took the opportunity to ask when the New Zealand trip might get offered to Alumni.

Response was......there is nothing on such a trip. No contract has been negotiated and to their knowledge nothing planned at this time. I mentioned that there was suppose to be an advertisement in the 2009 mardi gras schedule....

response was....that is not possible since nothing has been scheduled.

So I guess all of our discussions have been based on speculation only.....

So Gary......looks like there is a disconnect somewhere.

Perhaps another secondary plan might be in order. By the way...my e-mail is as follows: schaefth@gmail.com

After so many years, you would think I would have learned to wait and not get excited about future trips.

Does it list the ports?

The Sydney MG Guide does not actually list the ports, but it does show a map of the ports to be visited:

Auckland

Wellington

Christchurch

Dunedin

Melbourne

Sydney

It looks like a typical Atlantis add with the following text:

"Auckland to Sydney for Mardi Gras 2010

17-28 February 2010 - Holland America Volendam

The world's largest gay cruise operator brings our first cruise to Australia in 2010. Join 1400 gay and lesbian guests from around the world on this history making voyage, filled with the entertainment, parties, and magic that made Atlantis famous. Sailing from Auckland to Sydney for 11 nights of pure excitement before docking in Circular Quay for Mardi Gras 2010.

A true 5-star ship, 1400 guests, and Mardi Gras. There's never been an all-gay cruise like this. Anywhere.

For more information about this or our other all-gay cruises, see your travel agent or visit our website today."

I just called Atlantis to update my new home address and e-mail (and get access to the alumni website)

Well I took the opportunity to ask when the New Zealand trip might get offered to Alumni.

Response was......there is nothing on such a trip. No contract has been negotiated and to their knowledge nothing planned at this time. I mentioned that there was suppose to be an advertisement in the 2009 mardi gras schedule....

response was....that is not possible since nothing has been scheduled.

So I guess all of our discussions have been based on speculation only.....

So Gary......looks like there is a disconnect somewhere.

Perhaps another secondary plan might be in order. By the way...my e-mail is as follows: schaefth@gmail.com

After so many years, you would think I would have learned to wait and not get excited about future trips.

WOW!! This is incredible. I was on the Mexican Riviera cruise in October when Rich Campbell had one of his famous "Ask Me Anything" meetings. His big announcement - from his own mouth - was that he had just signed a contract with HAL for the New Zealand/Australian cruise in 2010 for Mardi Gras. He was elated because he had first planned to book the Celebrity Millennium but when Celebrity withdrew from down under for 2010 he was not sure if this cruise would be possible. But he had just made an agreement with Holland America before that meeting.

When my travel agent called about this cruise in December she was told that the announcement had not been made yet but it was never denied that the cruise was being planned. Futhermore, the dates of the supposed cruise have been blocked on the HAL website and no cruise is available to the public for those dates on the Volendam.

It is more frustrating for me because my partner and I are currently booked on a cruise to New Zealand and Australia from Seattle in September this year and I have to cancel my booking by April to avoid penalties.

If anybody wants to know anything about the Volendam I can probably help because I sailed on the sister ship Amsterdam for 64 days a year ago. The Volendam deck plan is just about identical, especially as far as the rooms are concerned. I still have to believe that this cruise is a reality. Maybe the slow bookings on the two 2010 summer cruises have caused Atlantis to hold off on announcing other cruises for the time being.

The ad is an Atlantis ad - as someone else has pointed out - the ports are all shown on a map.

This cruise is going ahead - they are just playing their usual games!!!!

For those thinking of doing Sydney return then a one-way to Auckland, there are a variety of options Sydney/Auckland: namely: Quantas, Air New Zealand,

Jetstar (a division of Quantas) and Virgin Blue. The last two are more budget operators and offer excellent fares on advance booking direct - virginblue.com.au or jetstar.com.au

The flight to Auckland is short and would recommend Virgin Blue!

Well maybe the reservations will be open on the Asia cruise. If so I will book a cabin at that time......

I did look into Royal caribbean as an alternative..prices arent bad.

Regardless, I am heading for New Zealand in 2010......so we shall see if it will be a gay cruise or not.

Now to win the lottery and charter a private boat with just the right crew......:rolleyes:

For those thinking of doing Sydney return then a one-way to Auckland, there are a variety of options Sydney/Auckland: namely: Quantas, Air New Zealand,

Jetstar (a division of Quantas) and Virgin Blue. The last two are more budget operators and offer excellent fares on advance booking direct - virginblue.com.au or jetstar.com.au

The flight to Auckland is short and would recommend Virgin Blue!

Indeed, I am thinking of RT SFO/SYD, staying a few days in Sydney (my first visit) and then taking a one-way flight from SYD to Auckland. Arrival in Auckland will be a couple of days before ship-boarding so I can tour that city, as well.

I like the various Virgin airlines and will likely use Aussie's Virgin Blue for the one-way. Thanks for their website info.

This particular itinerary is one I've been interested in for years and I'm anxious to get everything booked and confirmed. For me, the anticipation is almost as fun as the actuality.

See you guys onboard! :p

I am still very confident that the NZ/AUS cruise is a reality for Atlantis. Not only is HAL not selling the Feb. 17-28 period on their internet site but according to people who had booked the following cruise from Sydney, HAL has given them three extra days of cruising as a gift. The reason is that the Feb. 17 Volendam cruise was originally a regular 14 day cruise but the Atlantis charter is only 11 days. After all this schedule juggling I can't imagine that this Atlantis cruise would be cancelled.

Scott Lewallen, who runs the new Atlantis Alumni website put out this message today:

"Hey guys. Yes, we're doing a 2010 cruise to Australia for Mardi Gras. As stated in the ad (appearing in the 2009 Mardi Gras guide), the cruise is Auckland to Sydney, February 17-28, 2010 aboard the Holland America Volendam. The cruise is not on sale yet. Keep watching alantisalumni.com for more details."

So it appears that the cruise is a definite; just the normal wait until it is officially announced. BTW, those who have not joined the new Atlantis Alumni website, I would definitely suggest doing it. It is pretty cool.

Well maybe the reservations will be open on the Asia cruise. If so I will book a cabin at that time......

I did look into Royal caribbean as an alternative..prices arent bad.

Regardless, I am heading for New Zealand in 2010......so we shall see if it will be a gay cruise or not.

Now to win the lottery and charter a private boat with just the right crew......:rolleyes:

I would think that it is to Rich's advantage to make the announcement on either the Freedom or Solstice since he would reach so many more people.

For anyone going to NZ prior to the cruise, look beyond Auckland which is not the most terrific town. Queensland, Wellington, and of course Milford Sound would be some possibilities to explore prior to the cruise.

:cool: Your comment that HAL is giving the subsequent cruise passengers a gift would be hard to imagine. Three days of lost revenue let alone operating costs have to be covered some how. I just hope that the pricing for the Atlantis cruise is not the 14 day brochure rate but for only 11 days. My bad habit is to speculate...so forgive me.

If it comes to a 11 day cruise for the price of a 14 day sailing.....I would consider other options. With the economy, I can see where opening the books for this voyage would impact unfilled cruises for 2009. So holding off would be logical.....especially the 2009 summer cruise on the Solstice.....filling it may prove to be a real challenge.

I am currently looking at the RCI and Princess offering for New Zealand and can aleady see RCI would be a less expensive choice. For me it is New Zealand and not the Gay Mardi Gras in Sydney....which will be a draw for most. The again, as I have never met an Aussie I didn't like...they are fabulous people.....having them on the cruise would be really fun.

Oh, and having walked the beach outside of Sydney.....and seeing the gorgeous men......the eye candy would be over the top.

So I will wait and see what the $$$$ looks like. Considering the shore excursions, air fare, drinks and additional expenses (hotels) the cruise would easily top 5 grand if not six. The Asia cruise this year is already costing $6000 and that doesn't count the yet to be planned shore excursions. Ya know, I need a sugar grandaddy.....:rolleyes:

I can't imagine that Rich Campbell is paying for a 14 night cruise. The info I have came from a dialogue on the CC bulletin board. The passengers on the subsequent sailing were thrilled that they were getting three extra days onboard. Perhaps I am mistaken that it was totally free but they seemed awfully happy. Considering how bad the bookings are for NZ/AUS for all cruise lines, I'm sure HAL is happy to have this charter since onboard revenue is always greater than a regular cruise. So they would probably go the extra mile to make the charter a reality.

As for Atlantis, they have gone from booking the Millennium which holds nearly 2000 passengers, to the Volendam which holds under 1400. So it's a little safer although I am sure Atlantis will have a struggle in the coming months to keep their heads above water. I just got a message from HAL about the long cruise I booked a year and a half ago while on the Amsterdam that they have reduced my fare by 20%. This is without any urging from me but I still would rather trade it for the Atlantis Volendam cruise. Let's hope that Rich was a good negotiator so that the cruise price is within reason considering the cost of airfare, etc.

• 1 month later...

Archived