Recession

Rum Rat

The various governments had not option. Had the banks failed and gone under, we would probably be paying for our cruises by bartering as the £/$ would have no value:D

I didn't say that the goverment should not have taken any action, just that the media responce gave them no choice. Why they didn't bale the majority of banks out at the same time as Northen Rock remains a mystery.

My daughter looses her job in the next week. She works inside a Big W (Large retail outlet Woolworths) BUT, she doesn't even work for Woolworths , she works for Peacocks as a Assistant Manager, they have a concession store inside Big W.....So many more people besides woolworth employees loosing their jobs... what is annoying for her is a) she doesn't even work for the company going bust and b) she left a good job in Superdrug to take this job which was a better paid job at the time only 3 months ago and c) she won't even get any redundancy money!

ummm, Happy Christmas !:mad:

Sue did your daughter find another job or is she still looking.

Stopgo

Hi,

Within a week or so she obtained a part time job in Evans, keyholder supervisor which was better than Job Seekers Allowance -just....she has also started a college course in admin to give her more options..

Weirdly, today Peacocks-who she lost her job with, within a woolworths store, are opening a new store 10mins from home in the same shopping centre she is working in now , a Assistant Manager post is advertised - the position she lost at christmas...she has applied with a covering letter saying she was made redundant from this same position..(she was also interviewed for a Ass Manager job in Swindon, offered it but it was too expensive to travel there £250 a month train +train car parking) So it would be wonderful if she got it.

Today, by the way is her 21st birthday!:D

Stopgo

Hi,

Within a week or so she obtained a part time job in Evans, keyholder supervisor which was better than Job Seekers Allowance -just....she has also started a college course in admin to give her more options..

Weirdly, today Peacocks-who she lost her job with, within a woolworths store, are opening a new store 10mins from home in the same shopping centre she is working in now , a Assistant Manager post is advertised - the position she lost at christmas...she has applied with a covering letter saying she was made redundant from this same position..(she was also interviewed for a Ass Manager job in Swindon, offered it but it was too expensive to travel there £250 a month train +train car parking) So it would be wonderful if she got it.

Good luck to your daughter and happy birthday to her.

I have two daughters. The older is a paediatric nurse in a permanent position with a primary health trust, so she's probably as secure as it gets these days. My younger daughter is much less well placed, unfortunately. About 18 months ago she left her job to go traveling for 6 months - asia, australia & then 3 months or so in lower South America. She had a great time and has been to and seen some amazing places, so no regrets about the travelling. When she came back she got contract work back at her old employer, basically doing her old job, but not employed. Now they're looking to make savings and of course she's expecting to be one of the first to go.

As with all recessions, many people will be OK, some will have problems, and some will have major difficulties.

Let's think of happier things. This is a link to blog she did when she was on her trip:

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/JudeBurke/

Stopgo

Hi,

Hi Sue, H/B to your daughter. Was your daughter made redundant from Woolworths or Peacocks. I am asking because I was told I couldn't apply for another job within my old company [ the one I was made redundant from] until 6 months from the date I was made redundant. Now this might just be a company rule or it could be an employment law for every company. Having thought about it has she as not recieved any redundancy those rules might not apply to her anyway.

she was made redundant , but had only been there 3 months and got no redundancy pay, (very annoying as she left a good job as Ass Manager of Superdrug to take up that job) so i expect it will be ok for her to reapply seeing as they did the dirty on her...,:rolleyes:

Anybody see tonights Panorama ? it was about private pensions and how they are not giveing enough financal benefits on retirement. Panorama had a pensions workshop in Harrogate for members of the public, I don't live that far from Harrogate so was bit annoyed that I didn't know anything about it. It was done in a lighthearted fashion with the presenter at one point walking a tightrope for some reason. They highlighted about four individual cases where the pensions were not adequate for what they wanted. An expert gave advice on bringing their pensions up to scratch which was more or less pushing more money into the pension. In one case a man in his sixties was told to find £50,000 and put into his pension fund, his reply to that was his only chance of that was a lotto win. So my question is does anybody have any worthwhile ideas about increaseing pensions via savings or investments.

• 1 month later...

Bad day for the goverment and the economy yesterday, with the announcment that unemployment had rocketed by more than 12% to over 2.2 million. That's an increase of 244,000 in the first quarter of the year, the biggest rise since 1981. Its the worst unemployment figure since 1996, with predictions that it will be climb higher next year. On top of that Legal and general announced plans to axe up to 560 in the coming months !

Bad day for the goverment and the economy yesterday, with the announcment that unemployment had rocketed by more than 12% to over 2.2 million. That's an increase of 244,000 in the first quarter of the year, the biggest rise since 1981. Its the worst unemployment figure since 1996, with predictions that it will be climb higher next year. On top of that Legal and general announced plans to axe up to 560 in the coming months !

I am not convinced of these figures. It seems a huge increase and I wonder if the figures include the various car workers etc who were told to take a long unpaid break. I think they may also be included, maybe wrong as usuall:o

I am not convinced of these figures. It seems a huge increase and I wonder if the figures include the various car workers etc who were told to take a long unpaid break. I think they may also be included, maybe wrong as usuall:o

If these figures could be reduced I am sure the goverment would do it, anything to not make it appear not as bad has it looks. It take along time for redundancy totals to filter through, so I would think these figures include the Woolwooths staff and the Zavvi and the rest that lost their jobs at the start of the year.

I hope your right Matty, share prices are on the up compared to the share price at the start of the year, I would like to think that the recession is leveling off, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

A good friend of mine was working on a big tour and was made reduntant because of cost cutting. He then went to BT as a free lancer and has lost that work in these recent cuts, I feel really sorry for him as he only got married a few months ago and they have had to move house.

The music industry is following suit, Motley Crue's production team have aparently been told they must take a 40% pay cut.

It seems to be effecting the people at the top more than at the bottom at the moment. Only time will tell what the true outcome will be.

Chris

I don't really want to say on a public forum but they are a big indy/rock band from america who are doing arenas.

The crews are big because they bring everything, so you need riggers truck drivers etc... they even bring their own catering team with them. Its big business but roadies and road crew generally don't get contracts and if they do its short term so you always worried about where the next tour is going to come from. I am kinda of glad I am working inhouse nowadays, although I would love to go out on tour again its not the safest career move.

Chris

Hi Chris. Can I ask you who finances the crew on the major rock tours, is it the band that's touring or the record company ? I can remember the Stones canceling a UK tour a few years ago, citeing tax reasons not just for them but the crew as well.

A lot depends on the band. All the people I have worked for have been the band directly through their management. But in a lot of cases (especially the bigger tours) a lot of the crew come from big production companies like SSE Audio etc...

The big promoters like Live Nation are starting to dip their toes into production so we will see if there is a shift in who offers the work in the future.

Chris

Nothing personal but what exactly has this got to do with cruising? Re Recession, despite doom & gloom there do seem to be some green shoots of recovery. Some house sales here are going to a closind date due to the number of competing offers. A friend`s daughter has already beaten last years entire (flat ) sales target already. Something`s going on. Fingers crossed.

Nippy, I think you must have missed the bit where our administrator (Stropgo) stated that you must not go off topic.

Unless of course you are the administrator, then you can do as you wish.

Hope that helps

Gerry

;)

Archived