Are parents allowed in Camp Carnival

girltime30

We have taken two family cruises, one on the Wonder and one on the Explorer of the Seas. Both times we were able to go into the kids area with our little ones while they adjusted. I heard that NCL does not allow adults in the camp area. We are trying to plan a cruise on Carnival's Imagination, are we allowed to go into the Camp with our 2 year old?? Thanks for your input!!

My experience with Camp Carnival is that once there are any kids there besides your own, you are not allowed in the room. If there aren't any other kids there yet, it depends on the ship and staff -- we were allowed in with just our child on one ship and not on another.

HTH!

My experience on Carnival with my 2 year olds was that I was not allowed to step past the door - no parents allowed inside at all. (Though I did find that this is best for dealing with the anxiety, which was just made worst for my twins the longer the goodbye was prolonged.)

Princess allows parents in the kids area. It's something I enjoy about Princess because we sit and do the crafts together - but it then is more difficult when I want to leave my girls, since they know mommy can stay.

Best,

Mia

I am amazed that they let you past the front door on Explorer of the Seas. That goes against their own policy. RCCL does not allow parents into the kids clubs either.

And on Carnival, you are allowed in on the first day to tour the club, then that's it. You must remain outside the gate.

I have a whole discussion (turning into a argument...lol) on the DisBoards about Disney allowing anyone into the clubs without checking to see if they even have kids in there.

THAT to me is scary. I was able to enter the bathrooms in the Wonder's Club and Lab without being stopped by anyone. And they never checked my card to see if I had a kid in the Lab/Club. Now THAT is scary. :(

My first cruise was on the Explorer of the Seas. On the second day I asked if I could stay with my son and I was told stay as long as you like. I just had to sign in the visitor book. I stayed for about a hour and decided that I felt comfortable about leaving my son so I left, everyday they asked me when I dropped him off if I wanted to stay which I didn't. When I went on Disney I was in the camp room almost every day because my son was a bit overwhelmed by the number of kids in the 3-4 age group and wanted to participate in the club activities. I really didn't know that we weren't suppose to be in there and have been invited and welcomed both times by RCCL and Disney.

Our experience on Carnival has been that after the camp tour times, you must drop off at the door. There is a gated area that you cannot go beyond. Although I think some of the activities would be fun to enjoy with your children, I appreciate the fact that adults are not allowed in the camp. Who knows who could walk in . . .

We just got back from our Carnival Triumph cruise and they do have "Family Time' offered a few days out of the cruise in the Camp , where families with little ones can go and play with their children but during normal activities, they are not allowed past the door. this was stricly enforced during our cruise.

My first cruise was on the Explorer of the Seas. On the second day I asked if I could stay with my son and I was told stay as long as you like. I just had to sign in the visitor book. I stayed for about a hour and decided that I felt comfortable about leaving my son so I left, everyday they asked me when I dropped him off if I wanted to stay which I didn't. When I went on Disney I was in the camp room almost every day because my son was a bit overwhelmed by the number of kids in the 3-4 age group and wanted to participate in the club activities. I really didn't know that we weren't suppose to be in there and have been invited and welcomed both times by RCCL and Disney.

Oh I completely believe you. :D I am just amazed. How long ago was this? I am wondering if they a)changed their policy since then or b)the counselors allow it on Explorer but other Adventure Oceans don't.

People have actually complained about RCCL because generally, they don't let you in the area. It was nice that you were able to when your were uncomfortable. :)

We went Oct 2006 on the Explorer and Dec 2007 on the Wonder. The inconsistency is strange as I called Carnival today to ask another question and spoke to another person and when I asked about me staying in the club she told me that it is greatly encouraged that we do spend quality time in the club with our children.

Thank you everyone for your input!

and spoke to another person and when I asked about me staying in the club she told me that it is greatly encouraged that we do spend quality time in the club with our children.

Thank you everyone for your input!

HAHAHAHAHA yeah they have a funny way of showing that they "greatly encourage it".

You will learn here that you could call the cruise reps 10 times and get 10 different answers. ;)

I recently went on the NCL Spirit and they have 2 times a day that you can go in with your toddler and let them play. I really enjoyed this because I did not want to leave my daughter, it was a family vacation! We could even get in the play stuff and play with her. It gave her time to burn off some energy! She wasn't potty trained so they wouldn't have taken her anyway. We enjoyed our cruise with the 2 yr old.

• 4 weeks later...

On the Carnival ships we've been on, there have been several opportunities for parents to enjoy activities with their kids in Camp Carnival--during "Family Time." This is a time when parents are required to attend with their children, and a time when kids under 2 can participate. I know we did one of the under 2's playtimes and maybe a cookie decorating on our last cruise. My dd loved showing me around the playroom, and introducing me to her counselors, and I loved getting the tour, but I also enjoyed not having to worry about who might be wandering in and out of the camp during official "camp" time.

Whoops--accidentally hit enter before I was finished!

Michelle--that's just scary about the camp on the Wonder. :eek:

While I fully understand those of you who would like to be there for their children (and I would have loved to have been able to stay with my ds when he was 2 1/2 and cried the entire half hour the first time I left him in Camp Carnival :rolleyes:), no way I'd want strange adults in with my kids. Schools require basic background checks for any adults who work as volunteers, but there is no such requirement to sail on a cruise ship. Not that a background check will screen out all the weirdos, but at least it's a start. My kids went to a cooperative preschool where parents are required to help out in the classroom once or twice a month. Last year, there was one mother who didn't pass the background check. I don't know why, but she was not allowed to work with the kids--I think her husband and mom had to substitute for her on her helping parent days.

Anyway, girltime30, I'd recommend attending both the welcome tour and one of the under 2's playtimes to get your 2 year old used to the playroom and the counselors. They had no problem with my (then) 8 year old dd coming in with us and playing with the toys and her brother. It made the second time I left him much more pleasant!

And scrappytraveller, make sure to attend the welcome tour and family activities to get those photos of the kids inside camp carnival.

Jennifer - yep it was odd on Wonder. And when I brought it up on the DisBoards, all heck broke loose. :p lol It was like I insulted their mother or something. So it won't change. ;) They will continue to let the whole free world into the club without question.

I said that they should AT LEAST have to scan the person's cruise card to see if they belong there (have kids in the club at the time). But then the people who wanted to tour the club complained that they wouldn't be allowed into the club. :rolleyes:

And on Carnival - we did the Build A Bear and the Cookie Decorating with the kids, but ours was held in a lounge, not camp carnival.

Archived