Priority of Tours (Kenai Fjords Tour questions)

LuvToCr

We will be spending eight days in the Wrangdell NP, Valdez & Seward area prior to doing a southbound cruise from Seward. We are planning on doing the Root Glacier hike/tour in Wrangell NP, then doing either the Columbia Kayaking Glacier tour or the Columbia Boat tour in Valdez. We will then be taking the ferry (probably not the fast ferry) from Valdez to Whittier and then driving on to Seward. We will have about a day and a half in Seward prior to our cruise. We do want to explore the Exit Glacier area, so my question is with us doing the glacier tour in Valdez and then taking the ferry, shoud we still try to squeeze in the Kenai Fjords Tour in Seward? Will this tour be different than what we are doing in Valdez? Any thoughts on the differences between glacier viewing in the Valdez area and the Seward area? Thanks for any feedback...

Glacier tours out of Valdez only get close to the face of a glacier if you do the longer Meares Glacier tour. The 6 hour Columbia Glacier tour goes through lots of ice but Columbia is calving so much that getting fairly close is virtually impossible.

The Kenai Fjords day trips go to either Aialik, Holgate, or (longer trip) Northwestern Glacier plus you have the wildlife of the national park itself.

Having been on both, I'd also recommend both.

I've only been on the Kenai Fjords 6 hour tour and I say it's not to be missed! Between beautiful scenery/wildlife/glaciers; how can you go wrong! From what I hear, both tours are different in their own way, so if possible, do both!

Archived