NCL Jewel Main Dining Rooms

eastcoastcruisers

Anybody recently on the Jewel that can talk about the food in the dining rooms? I have been reading posts lately about food on all the NCL ships not being up to "par" in the main dining rooms. Are we now forced to pay for the special restaurants in order to get good food?

It is a fact that complainers post more than those who are not unhappy (I have heard both 5 to 1 and 8 to 1).

I sailed on the Jewel last year. I am a trained chef. The food was fine. There are certainly enough options. I do not like buffets anywhere, anytime, so I avoid those. I also do not mind paying for specialty options, if the food is good and the atmosphere likewise. I have never thought the surcharge "wasn't worth it".

Unlike land restaurants where you and I go on Saturday night, if you don't like something you can get something else, with no additional charge.

Is NCL's food the absolute best? No, I have to say I enjoyed Celebrity's Normandie more. But that was $25 extra five years ago.

But my last two and next cruise are on NCL so that wasn't the overall determining factor.

Hope this helps.

When you traveled last year on the Jewel did you go to specialty rest. every nite or did you do the main dining rooms. I guess that is what I am looking for- a comparison of the food in the main dining room (free) as to the pay dining rooms. I have cruised on 16 cruises but only one other cruise many years ago on NCL the Windward and the food the entire cruise was awful. So I am a little worried about a cruise I have scheduled in Jan 09 for the Jewel. I don't like the idea of having to "pay extra" for a good meal on a cruise ship.

I believe we did about 75% specialty/25% free - but the Tex Mex was free at the time and we went there three times (I was on a 14 day). We love Il Popo. On the first night my mom had the ribs and loved them, later in the cruise she ordered them and they were tough. So she ordered something else instead. Of course I wish they had homemade chips, salsa and guacamole, but I see the overall "big picture" they are at sea all over the world... although homemade chips and salsa are not that difficult.

We had room service a couple of nights. Mostly sandwiches. They weer fine. Nothing exceptional. Just something to have while taking it easy after a long day at shore.

You know, I think sometimes NCL and cruise lines in general try to be too sophisticated with their food in the main dining room. I wish I could consult. I would suggest making the smaller main dining room more casual food. A little fancier than Chili's - like a restaurant we have here in Texas called Houston's. The best Baked Potato Soup you would ever eat.

The Italian Restaurant should have homemade pizza. Easy to make and so good. Not expensive either.

The cruise demographic has changed and although freestyle addressed the behavior of the cruiser (attire and schedule) the food choices have not evolved.

In the olden days (cruising) you went to the main dining room for a grand meal. It was fancy (atmosphere and food). I think if you want "cuisine" there are the various specialty venues. If you want a good dinner, with well prepared basics, you should have a place to go.

I skip buffets and don't expect to visit in Feb even once.

Once again, just my opinion.

We were on the Jewel this August. We ate exclusively at the main dining room (Tsar Palace) and love the food. We have been on Princess and Carnival before and we rate the Jewel above lines. We didn't have one bad meal. WE do prefer the Tsar Palace. We found the Azura a little cramped, the food is the same but the atmosphere makes a meal a little less enjoyable.

Anybody recently on the Jewel that can talk about the food in the dining rooms? I have been reading posts lately about food on all the NCL ships not being up to "par" in the main dining rooms. Are we now forced to pay for the special restaurants in order to get good food?

We ate either at the buffet, Tsars or a specialty. We thought LeBistro was the best. In the Mexican restaurant, my wife's chicken fajitas was 50% gristle & fat. Whether that was the norm or just a bad plate is up for discussion. The sushi bar was good, but not as good as some sushi I've had in the local sushi restuarant. That being said, I'll be at the sushi bar very often in the next few weeks.

Cagney's was a little disappointing in that they were out of filet mignon. :confused: Honestly, that's what the server told us. But a bottle of Dom Perignon (it was our 20th anniversary cruise) makes everything taste great.

The buffet was great on embarkation. We got tired of it real fast. Still, buttery scrambled eggs are always good for breakfast when they're fresh, and there was always lots of fresh fruit and salads to choose from. The ice cream bar was gross. Not the ice cream, just the kids dripping syrup and toppings (including their fingers) into everything.

We ate at Tsar's on our first night and lobster night and were very pleased. We also had a few breakfasts in there and one lunch. I thought the breakfasts were great. Think about it: there must be 50 cooks supplying the restaurant, churning out entrees for 4 or 5 hours straight. Sometimes you're gonna get something excellent, sometimes it won't be as good. If the cook preparing the steak misses a piece of gristle and it ends up in your mouth on the first bite, you're gonna swear it was a lousy steak. Meanwhile, 800 other people are enjoying theirs. :)

Portions were a little smaller than in most land-based restaurants, but that just gave me an excuse to try lots of different things. If you can't decide between two main courses, you can always ask the waiter for appetizer sized portions on both.

We were on the Jewel a week ago. We had dinner in 4 of the speciality restaurants. We ate breakfasts mainly in Tsars, the other dinners (6) mainly in Tsar's(a 10 day cruise) ..but found Azura late in the cruise and I wish we would have eaten there instead. Although the menu is the same as Tsars, we really liked the more informal cozy atmosphere better. On the last night in Azura, we had some of the best beef and Yorkshire pudding that I've had in a very long time.

Breakfasts were very good, fresh, hot, eggs made to order. Only issue we had was getting toast..figured out on the second day to order toast immediatly with our eggs, and it would come with the breakfast. Otherwise, a server would come around with it on a plate, and it was cold.

We had lunch a couple of times in Tsars, a couple of other times at the Blue Lagoon..and only once in the buffet, when we were in a rush. Like everyone here says..it was OK for buffet food, but I really dislike buffets, so only went there when we had to.

We did love the sushi, and the rack of lamb I had in Le Bistro was one of the best I ever ate....

but we could have eaten in the regular restaurants all the time and not been disappointed. (We ate at Mama's Italian...for a fee..and I wouldn't do that again, if we sailed on the Jewel again. Dinner was only "OK"..and not worth the extra $$).

best kept Jewel food secret is the FREE tapas bar 6:00-10:00 between the Blue Lagoon and the Mexican rest. Free chips and salsa and other tapas. great margaritas and a very nice bar tender. Just got off Jewel. I went twice and DH went one other time-we were the ONLY ones there. Good food, they bring it to you no wait, and you can get good drink services. What's not to love.

They mention the Tapas Bar in the Freestyle Daily but do not list it with the other food venues.....run like the wind and grab a seat!

best kept Jewel food secret is the FREE tapas bar 6:00-10:00 between the Blue Lagoon and the Mexican rest. Free chips and salsa and other tapas. great margaritas and a very nice bar tender. Just got off Jewel. I went twice and DH went one other time-we were the ONLY ones there. Good food, they bring it to you no wait, and you can get good drink services. What's not to love.

They mention the Tapas Bar in the Freestyle Daily but do not list it with the other food venues.....run like the wind and grab a seat!

We looked for this and never did find it! Next time, I'll know! :)

Archived