Brilliance Summer(Late) Med Review

RicardoC

YAY! I love reviews with pictures, particularly since I'll be on a similar Brilliance itinerary in two months and eight days. It makes me so excited for my trip!

Of course, now I'm going to have to track down ice cream at every stop and lavender soap in Barcelona!

Thanks, Ricardo!

Excellent review and lovely photos, this is almost the same cruise we just did with Brilliance. Santorini was spectacular, Ephesus amazing and Athens awesome.

However, I have to take issue with the comment about Naples being dirty and violent. We spent several pleasurable hours walking aorund and although there was some rubbish on the pavements, this was not because people had dropped it, but mainly because the rubbish bins were overflowing (they have terrible problems with strikes in the city). But we saw no evidence of violene and did not at any time fear for our safety.

This was our third visit to Naples. The first time, in 1999, we went to Pompeii, the second (last year), we went to the right after exiting the port and found ourselves in an older, shabbier section, but still interesting. This time around we went to the left and found the more upmarket area, with the main shopping streets and some lovely buildings and squares.

It took me three visits to finally appreciate the city's finer points, so if you do ever get the chance to go back please make the effort to explore it again. It will never be Barcelona, but it is still worth another look :)

PS Livorno also has some fine squares and architecture if you are prepared to give it go, but most people just pass through on their way to Florence and Pisa

YAY! I love reviews with pictures, particularly since I'll be on a similar Brilliance itinerary in two months and eight days. It makes me so excited for my trip!

Of course, now I'm going to have to track down ice cream at every stop and lavender soap in Barcelona!

Thanks, Ricardo!

Its such an awesome trip! One of the best I've done with amazing places like Greece and Turkey together with my favorite city Barcelona, my dads favorite Rome, and one of moms' top 5 Nice....perfect for our family....ull love it :)

Excellent review and lovely photos, this is almost the same cruise we just did with Brilliance. Santorini was spectacular, Ephesus amazing and Athens awesome.

However, I have to take issue with the comment about Naples being dirty and violent. We spent several pleasurable hours walking aorund and although there was some rubbish on the pavements, this was not because people had dropped it, but mainly because the rubbish bins were overflowing (they have terrible problems with strikes in the city). But we saw no evidence of violene and did not at any time fear for our safety.

This was our third visit to Naples. The first time, in 1999, we went to Pompeii, the second (last year), we went to the right after exiting the port and found ourselves in an older, shabbier section, but still interesting. This time around we went to the left and found the more upmarket area, with the main shopping streets and some lovely buildings and squares.

It took me three visits to finally appreciate the city's finer points, so if you do ever get the chance to go back please make the effort to explore it again. It will never be Barcelona, but it is still worth another look :)

PS Livorno also has some fine squares and architecture if you are prepared to give it go, but most people just pass through on their way to Florence and Pisa

Well we're from Sao Paulo which is a lot bigger and definitely not clean or safe....and my dad loved Naples the first two times he was there.....and in the third he was impressed with the decadence.....it might variate cause Ive heard both good and bad impressions of it but I'd certainly go back....I wanna rent a car and drive the Amalfi Coast some day....my parents did it with friends and loved it :cool:

Ricardo...your photos are gorgeous...crystal clear! Can I ask what type of camera you used to take these? Simple P&S or something nicer?

Thank You....even though I like to take pictures, I have a simple Sony touchscreen one....dont think its time to invest in a nicer camera....plus I like how easy and fast it is to carry around and use but definitely will buy a nicer one someday ;)

Great review! I'm looking at booking this for July 2011. can't wait but still have 11 months to go.

hahaha I know how you feel....we have an xmas cruise booked but already thinking about my bday weekend, spring break, and even summer :eek:

Archived