Update on Hurricane Omar Recovery??

bigindy

We didn't see much in the US about Hurricane Omar's destruction in Sint Maarten/St. Martin. Only a few posts here refer to damage and I have read a bit from the local Phillipsburg newspaper.

Can anyone update those of us that are still en route, as to what the visible signs of damage and beach erosion might be? Anything to watch out for? I've been looking for more info on the Dengue Fever outbreak earlier this month. Did the hurricane exacerbate this??

Thanks to any locals or recent cruisers who can give us some facts!

Anyone been to St. Maarten in the last 2 weeks that can give an update on the post hurricane status of beaches? Thanks!!!

We were there on 10/22/08, and other than debris and a few lost roofs (on the Western side), they fared very well. Sunset Beach Bar (at Maho Beach) is pretty much gone though. Gus' Beach Bar at Baie Rouge is up and running no problems.

Had a GREAT time!! :)

We didn't see much in the US about Hurricane Omar's destruction in Sint Maarten/St. Martin. Only a few posts here refer to damage and I have read a bit from the local Phillipsburg newspaper.

Can anyone update those of us that are still en route, as to what the visible signs of damage and beach erosion might be? Anything to watch out for? I've been looking for more info on the Dengue Fever outbreak earlier this month. Did the hurricane exacerbate this??

Thanks to any locals or recent cruisers who can give us some facts!

I was wondering myself about this as the articles have been circulating about the outbreak. From the pix I see they now have plenty debris and standing water around, so I would have to think this will only further exasperate the problem:(

Archived