OF COURSE it had to happen,,,

CruiznWithHubby

You have a sick, sick mind!!!!!!!!!!! (Hissing and making the sign of the cross at you)

shudder,,,,,the thought,,,,,at 43??? I'd have a lot of explaining to do as DH got "fixed" 17 years ago!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice,,,but I seriously doubt I had norovirus,,,

8 hours later, I have no stomach ache at all,,,,I think I just panicked cuz DH was sick last week,,,,

Never had fever, aches, pains, vomiting,,,,,just a tummy ache, which seems to be well gone,,,and lasted 8 hours,,,,doesn't even fit the description of the virus,,,,,,

THANK GOD!!!! But handwashing continues!!!!!!!!! Holly

LOL!! Sorry, I saw the "Cruising with No Children" and just couldn't help myself!! :D Glad your feeling better. Hope you have a GREAT cruise!!

Going to the doctor to ask for antibiotics for a stomach virus would be a waste of time and money. It's not good advice. ;)

I agree, and personally, I wouldn't consider going anywhere, especially a doctor's office if I thought I had noro. There is nothing a doctor can do for you, but while you are at the office you risk spreading the virus to anyone and everyone in there, especially the other waiting patients whose immune systems are likely compromised at the moment.

Not a good idea at all.

Obviously if you've had the sypmtoms for longer that 48 hours, it's time to seek help, and I would still skip the DR office and go straight to the hospital.

To the OP: Glad you are feeling better. :)

If Hepatitis lived of surfaces like you said would'nt most everyone have it.:confused:

Only if you are licking it:p our rubbing open wounds in it or well you know the other way to get it (fluid to fluid contact):D

I will not entertain flames from all of the experts on here! Trust me, this works very well for the vast majority of people. I go to a good quality health food store (GNC is a mid level store but will do in a pinch). Get Olive leaf , I like liquid extract, capsules will do. I ask the person at the store for dosage. Take ASAP and add colloidal minerals to boost immune function. Olive leaf is a strong antiviral. My family will take it the week before we cruise as a preventive and during as well.

Going to the doctor to ask for antibiotics for a stomach virus would be a waste of time and money. It's not good advice. ;)

Unless the patient begins to show signs of severe dehydration, there's no reason to go to the doctor and pay the money to be told to drink plenty of fluids and take OTC medicine.

I thought I had a stomach virus one time too.......it ended up being appendicitis:rolleyes:

That's what doctors are for, to diagnose your illness and treat it or not..........

Who's is giving bad advice:rolleyes:

BTW where did I say you should go to the doctors and ask for antibiotics:confused:

Glad you are feeling better op and it was nothing serious.........

I will not entertain flames from all of the experts on here! Trust me, this works very well for the vast majority of people. I go to a good quality health food store (GNC is a mid level store but will do in a pinch). Get Olive leaf , I like liquid extract, capsules will do. I ask the person at the store for dosage. Take ASAP and add colloidal minerals to boost immune function. Olive leaf is a strong antiviral. My family will take it the week before we cruise as a preventive and during as well.

No flames here!! Thanks for the information, I certainly appreciate it.

Is this something you take daily for a week prior to cruising??

I thought I had a stomach virus one time too.......it ended up being appendicitis:rolleyes:

That's what doctors are for, to diagnose your illness and treat it or not..........

BTW where did I say you should go to the doctors and ask for antibiotics:confused:

That's why I stated that if it persists you should go to the hospital.

My DH had his appendix removed due to appendicitis. It was a week IN the hospital before it was diagnosed as being such. If you go to a doctor right away with vomiting, they assume is it a virus unless it goes on too long. So they will likely just send you home if you go there too early. And besides, if you've ever had noro, you probably know that going anywhere while in the throes of it is nearly impossible because you're losing stuff from both ends like every 15 minutes.

Geez:rolleyes: . The person who said the OP, with her mild symptoms, should run to the doctor was the person who gave bad advice.

You do not go to the doctor with mild stomach pain - that is a poor use of everyone's time and valuable resources ($). The OP had mild vague symptoms that did not warrant a trip to the doctor, to ask for antibiotics or otherwise. Certainly if it exacerbates, etc., one should call the doctor and either get advice or go to the ER.

Many serious illnesses (like appendicitis) start out with mild vague symptoms. So do we all run to the doctor everytime something feels the slightest bit iffy because we MIGHT be suffering from a serious illness? Maybe yes if one has unlimited time and funds...

I'm a nurse, I have a lot of faith in doctors and the medical profession. But the OP's post did NOT warrant an urge by the other poster to go run to the doctor to ask for antibiotics.

I thank you too.

I agree with what you said. And besides, doctors have wised up and stopped writing scrips for antibiotics just because somebody asks for it. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections only, they won't help with Noro, which is viral...and to be honest, I don't take them unless the bacterial infection is bad enough to warrant an antibiotic. Your body is fully capable (if you haven't screwed it up over dosing on antibiotics all your life) to combat most minor infection ON IT's OWN. ;) The human body is a marvelous thing.

The only cure for Noro once you have it is time. It has to run it's course. It is horrendous but as far as I am aware there is nothing out there that will prevent it 100%, or cure it. You can only lessen your chance of getting it by washing your hands often but that isn't a guarantee that you won't get it anyway.

If you do get it, just make sure to keep hydrated.

I agree with you about the wonder of the human body and design.

In the past few days, there was an article that came out questioning the medical ethics of some doctors who participated in a questionnaire or study or something. In it, a number of doctors admitted to prescribing medicines to patients as a placebo, not as a legitimate treatment for a medical condition. Among the medicines some docs admitted to prescribing were antibiotics. I couldn't believe it when I read that. Knowing what we now know about antibiotics and resistance, I find that absolutely despicable. So what these doctors are doing is giving an important drug inappropriately to patients (probably the ones who are always coming in with every little problem demanding antibiotics for their viral illnesses) basically to pacify them and shut them up.

I truly hope that the doctors in this study were an anomaly in the profession. I know no doctors personally who would ever do this. But we got where we are somehow, and this policy was probably in use more than we know in past decades...

Just got off the Carnival Legend on October 12th and the next day I was sick. There were alot of people in our group that got sick on the ship, not sea sick but flu sick. They were in their cabins and missed out on things for a couple of days because of being sick. Go to you doctor and get some antibiotics. I finally went after being sick for a week and got some, finally feeling better. Whatever we caught on the ship was a bad one. There are alot of people on the ship from all over so lots of germs being brought on this time of year, flu season. Get better and have a GREAT time!
Yes, but all you that got sick were doing heaven only knows what with each other. LOL Just kidding. I was on this cruise and did not get sick, and I am also a Looter. (hi Deb!!)

[quote name='crusinpsychRN']Tamiflu is prescribed for flu symptoms and cuts it short.[/quote]

Tamiflu:
[B]SIDE EFFECTS:[/B] The most frequent side effects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bronchitis, abdominal pain, headache and dizziness. Administering oseltamivir after meals helps reduce nausea.

Which is worse?:o

[quote name='CruiznWithHubby']Wouldn't you know,,,,

I am scheduled to sail on Inspiration exactly ONE WEEK from today,,,

Last week my husband had the "stomach flu",,,better known as norovirus, according to our family doctor,,,fever, stomach cramps, vomiting, etc,,,we all know the drill,,,

He was sick for 2 days, and has been feeling better for roughly three,,,

And today I wake up with a vicious stomach ache,,,nothing else yet, so it might be nothing,,,,

But with all my luck,,,,

I would think though, that a virus that lasts 2-3 days and takes 3 days to become no longer contagious (which is what the doctor told me), I would be fine by next Monday,,,,

I sure don't want to get anyone else sick, and neither do I want to cancel my cruise,,, so I'm hoping that either I do NOT have it, or it's done and gone by next Monday,,,,,

pray for me. Holly[/quote]

I got sick 4 days into an 8 day cruise once.....that sucked. Hope you get over it before you go. And please don't get anyone else on the ship sick. No kissing strangers :p Trisha

[quote name='halos']That's why I stated that if it persists you should go to the [B][I]hospital.[/I][/B]
My DH had his appendix removed due to appendicitis. It was a week IN the hospital before it was diagnosed as being such. If you go to a doctor right away with vomiting, they assume is it a virus unless it goes on too long. So they will likely just send you home if you go there too early. And besides, if you've ever had noro, you probably know that going anywhere while in the throes of it is nearly impossible because you're losing stuff from both ends like every 15 minutes.[/quote]

I was not responding to your post.......but now I will to this one. I had a stomach ache for a day and a half and ended up in the emergency room with an appendix that burst. Not everyone's experience with health issues are the same;)
Oh I might add it was during flu season and that's what everyone said I probably had........

[quote name='nrdsb4']Geez:rolleyes: . The person who said the OP, with her [B]mild symptoms, should run to the doctor was the person who gave bad advice.[/B]

[B]You do not go to the doctor with mild stomach pain [/B]- that is a poor use of everyone's time and valuable resources ($). The OP had mild vague symptoms that did not warrant a trip to the doctor, to ask for antibiotics or otherwise. Certainly if it exacerbates, etc., one should call the doctor and either get advice or go to the ER.

[/quote]

Oh my mistake.......I thought this is what the op posted:

And today I wake up with a vicious stomach ache

:cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Kurbanfan']

Oh my mistake.......I thought this is what the op posted:

And today I wake up with a vicious stomach ache

:cool: :cool: :rolleyes:[/quote]

Early in the day. NO Vomiting, NO diarrhea, NO other symptoms. Just a normal fear that worse symptoms might be forthcoming. They weren't.

This does not constitute a running to the doctor to ask for antibiotics, which is the post to which I replied. Your experience with appendicitis is completely irrelevant here.

[quote name='nrdsb4']Early in the day. NO Vomiting, NO diarrhea, NO other symptoms. Just a normal fear that worse symptoms might be forthcoming. They weren't.

This does not constitute a running to the doctor to ask for antibiotics, which is the post to which I replied. Your experience with appendicitis is completely irrelevant here.[/quote]

Agree to disagree about when and where to seek medical attention;) I am confident most are smart enough not to be diagnosed on a message board........

[quote name='crusinpsychRN']Tamiflu is prescribed for flu symptoms and cuts it short.[/quote]

What is your point here? Tamiflu is prescribed for early symptoms of the influenza virus, which is a serious respiratory infection. The OP was worried that she might be coming down with a Norovirus type infection like her husband, not influenza.

Yup,,,,but it works for the influenza virus which is different from the noro virus,,,

in any case,,,,no stomachache in over 24 hours now,,,,,thank GOD,,,

probably just the panic bug :) Holly

[quote name='CruiznWithHubby']Yup,,,,but it works for the influenza virus which is different from the noro virus,,,

probably just the panic bug :) Holly[/quote]

Or a gas bubble:p Sometimes those buggers hurt worse then labor pain:eek: :D

[quote name='CruiznWithHubby']Yup,,,,but it works for the influenza virus which is different from the noro virus,,,

probably just the panic bug :) Holly[/quote]

Lol, it was not an unnatural reaction. If my husband came down with Noro, I'd probably be waiting for the ax to fall. I got it once myself on a cruise, but the symptoms didn't hit me until the taxi bringing us home literally pulled up to the house. Talk about hitting the ground running...:o

Your husband was smart to get his episode before the cruise. Nothing can stop him now!:)

Archived