private tour guides, Mediterranean cruise

We just returned from the Mediterranean cruise on the Voyager. We opted for private tour guides so we could get the most out of our time in each port. I found the tour guides from reading the most-mentioned names on this board, so I now have my own recommendations! We were very fortunate with all of our guides, but we particularly liked Giovanni Sirabella with Sunflower Tours in Livorno/Florence. Very personable, flexible, and fun. We had an awesome day in the Chianti countryside and even visited places where there were no tourists, but awesome views.

We also enjoyed Guiseppe "Pepe" with Drive Amalfi Tours. Nice guy, very knowledgable, and fun. The Amalfi coast was spectacular!

In Rome, we had Alberto with Driver In Italy Tours. We liked him a lot and we saw everything we wanted to and more. In Nice, we had a private guide, but we were not as impressed, especially after we saw how great the other drivers/guides were after that. We had Yannic with Private Shore Excursions. We toured in a minivan with just my husband and me, and would have liked a sedan more. The other guides drove Mercedes, etc. and we were very comfortable, especially given what you pay for a private guide.

I'd also like to mention that we had a private tour guide for the Vatican named Marco who was absolutely awesome! He is an archeologist and his knowledge of the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica was incredible and so interesting. He was also pretty cute and the girls around us were swooning!!! ha! But that was just an added and unexpected benefit!!! We booked him through Driver In Italy.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Mediterranean cruise, but make sure you can walk a lot on cobblestone streets, and up and down lots of stairs! And forget about how you look and invest in some comfortable, rubber soled shoes!!! and Have fun! I actually lost weight eating my way through Italy!!

Archived