Purchasing more than the duty free limit of Alcohol - When Do You Pay?

Rowan555

We plan on bringing a bunch of liquor back with us this time around, and we've never dealt with having to pay the duty before. Do we just declare it on the customs form and then pay when we go through customs in the cruise terminal?

I ask this because we brought 6 cheap bottles back with us last time, and declared them all. The customs agent lectured us and said something about not making us go back to the room or something like that because the kids were with us, but next time we should know better. I had NO idea what in the world he was talking about because I declared it all and thought they would just charge me if they wanted to there at the desk. Did I miss some important step or something? Were they wanting to go through my luggage to count it, or what? He acted like we'd done something wrong, so I just wasn't sure what to do for next time.

We plan on bringing a bunch of liquor back with us this time around, and we've never dealt with having to pay the duty before. Do we just declare it on the customs form and then pay when we go through customs in the cruise terminal?

I ask this because we brought 6 cheap bottles back with us last time, and declared them all. The customs agent lectured us and said something about not making us go back to the room or something like that because the kids were with us, but next time we should know better. I had NO idea what in the world he was talking about because I declared it all and thought they would just charge me if they wanted to there at the desk. Did I miss some important step or something? Were they wanting to go through my luggage to count it, or what? He acted like we'd done something wrong, so I just wasn't sure what to do for next time.

We have always done the same as you. I thought that was the right way to do it.

In May we brought back 15L, at the Miami port. We declared it on the customs form, the agent looked at it, and told us to go on through. He didn't say anything to us about it, so we brought it to his attention (afraid we would get into trouble) and he told us not to worry about it and waved us on through. There have been several times we have had more than we are allowed and they have always waved us on through. I think it all depends on the agents.

When I returned from the Bahamas I had 4 bottles. 3 were from the ship and one was from Nassau, and the customs agent told me I was over by two bottles and that he would let it slide.

Oddly I was told and read that in the Bahamas that I could have 2 bottles a person.

In answer to your question, during the debarkation talk on the last cruise they had customs on the ship early in the library at 6:30am for those that needed to pay the duty. So I would think that during your debarkation they should have something similar.

By the way, if you are into liquor and would love to load up, take the Eastern caribbean cruise that stops at San Juan and St. Thomas. As long as you buy the liquor in San Juan and St. Thomas your duty free allowance of liquor according to the debarkation is *UNLIMITED*.

St. Thomas in itself is 5 and a local per person. Cruzan Rum is great for the "Local"

When I got off of the Victory in Miami, I told the agent I had 6 bottles, and all he asked was "where did you buy them from". St. Thomas was where.

I usually like to load up on the liquor for gifts.

We recently sailed on the Fascination, the paperwork in our room said if you had more than one liter per adult to go to the Passage to India lounge to settle with customs, I forget the time, seems like I went around 8:00. When I got to the lounge there were 3 customs guys and nobody else. I told them I had 6 liters with 3 adults, they said the duty on 3 liters would be $6 but they would waive anything under $10. One of the guys wrote WOB (waived on board?) on my customs form.

We recently sailed on the Fascination, the paperwork in our room said if you had more than one liter per adult to go to the Passage to India lounge to settle with customs, I forget the time, seems like I went around 8:00. When I got to the lounge there were 3 customs guys and nobody else. I told them I had 6 liters with 3 adults, they said the duty on 3 liters would be $6 but they would waive anything under $10. One of the guys wrote WOB (waived on board?) on my customs form.

Awesome, thanks. Just what I needed to know.

Hi Susan,

New Orleans is different. It is up to the Custom's agent on whether to send you to Secondary Search. I have come through NOLA with 9 liters of which two are waived as we were two adults. He then told me they would waive the rest.

Another time I have come through with 8 liters and had to go to Secondary Search. This is that area right behind the Customs officers with the chairs along the wall. The fee is $2.85 per liter. They fill out a form and direct you to the cashiers cage. They prefer cash but you can pay with a CC.

When you fill out your custom's form, do not put down the number of bottles you have. Instead list the number of liters as some bottles are less than one liter.

Dave

Hi Susan,

New Orleans is different. It is up to the Custom's agent on whether to send you to Secondary Search. I have come through NOLA with 9 liters of which two are waived as we were two adults. He then told me they would waive the rest.

Another time I have come through with 8 liters and had to go to Secondary Search. This is that area right behind the Customs officers with the chairs along the wall. The fee is $2.85 per liter. They fill out a form and direct you to the cashiers cage. They prefer cash but you can pay with a CC.

When you fill out your custom's form, do not put down the number of bottles you have. Instead list the number of liters as some bottles are less than one liter.

Dave

THANKS, DAVE! I was wondering how I had missed this on all our cruises! Secondary Search sounds frightening, lol - do they actually go through your luggage, or do they just charge you based on the form? I'd hate like heck to have to actually be "searched" as Greg has to get to work as soon as we get out of there, and that would take too much time, lol.

THANKS, DAVE! I was wondering how I had missed this on all our cruises! Secondary Search sounds frightening, lol - do they actually go through your luggage, or do they just charge you based on the form? I'd hate like heck to have to actually be "searched" as Greg has to get to work as soon as we get out of there, and that would take too much time, lol.

Again it is up to the Custom's officer on whether to search your bags further. I have a flag on my passport for a guy wanted for Grand Larceny out of New York. Same name, weight, height but different race and a two year difference in DOB. Sometimes I make it through okay but half the time I have to go through Secondary Search for them to investigate further.

In Mobile, I was able to come through with 19 liters because they forgot to recheck the custom's form after going through Secondary.

when i got back from the glory last year and got home and opened my luggage there was a letter from homeland security saying we had to search your bag due to the liquor in it. *****???

In your case, you probably flew home. Anytime Homeland Security opens your bag at the airport, a notice is placed in the bag.

Dave

Some of this also depends on where you live. I live in Louisiana, and usually go out of Galveston. Texans are always mad at me when they get off the boat, because Texas law says they can only bring one bottle back. LA law says I can have 5 bottles.

Your best bet is to call a Customs office in your state, tell them where you are returning, and ask what the "legal" amount is. They would also be able to tell you what happens to "exceeding" amounts.

A lot of it also has to do with the Customs person that is on duty. They are just like normal people. They may have had a fight with their spouse or kids the night before, and don't feel like giving anybody a break. Others may have done the nasty, and are ready to let anything walk through. So always have respect for them, treat them good, laugh with them, etc., and you'd be surprised how fast and easy you get through. They may be officials, but they are only human!

I usually claim the limit and carry off any extras. They don't search you on the way off, at least I've never been searched. A friend of mine on the last cruise we took to St Thomas bought the bushwacker kit with 5 bottles (I think it was 5 could be 6) and other bottles elsewhere and never had a problem getting thru customs. The two ports we have gone out of are FT Lauderdale and Orlando. Not sure if that make a difference or not!

Karen, FL:cool:

Archived