Question on Ice

npphotog

This is s dumb question (I know, no such thing as a dumb question) Do the river boats have ice available for passengers? I quess they really do not encourge bringing wine aboard to drink in your cabin, bought at various stops...maybe bringing it onboard is ok providing you keep it corked and take it back to the U.S.

Wondered how much they charge on board for their wine? Dumb questions maybe but we have never taken a river cruise - scheduled for August 1st of 2005 with Vantage - Holland to Hungary. Thanks for any advice on the above. Willard

On our recent Danube-Rhine cruise, Viking charged $7 to open and serve your wine at dinner.

We got ice from the bar until we found there was an ice machine on the deck below ours.

The wine selection was ok and their house wines were decent and not expensive but it was fun to pick up local wine also.

Pat

We had an ice machine just down the hall from our cabin, and we kept liquor in our room. We brought a small amount in our luggage, and bought wine along the way. No problem. No exray machines like the big cruise ships. We drank our own booze only in our cabin. We like having a nightcap out on our balcony, and occasionally a drink before dinner. Wine was served with dinner every night, free.

Returned last week from Symphony RIver Cruise. )Amadeus LIne) IF you go to the bar they will give you a glass of ice to take to your room...no ice buckets. I was not impressed as they billed this cruise as catered to American Tastes. Apparently this is the norm for the European River CRuises... I too like to have a chilled Coke;, Wine or Beer in my cabin.

Returned last week from Symphony RIver Cruise. )Amadeus LIne) IF you go to the bar they will give you a glass of ice to take to your room...no ice buckets. I was not impressed as they billed this cruise as catered to American Tastes. Apparently this is the norm for the European River CRuises... I too like to have a chilled Coke;, Wine or Beer in my cabin.

Deilmann has refrigerated minibars, or at least it does on the CASANOVA (which I cruised on last week). So you can have a chilled Coke, wine, or beer in your cabin, as long as you buy it from the minibar.

As for ice machines, I don't see them as being essential on European river cruises. Part of the European travel experience is *having* a European travel experience. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from a fabulous trip with Grand Circle, Great Rivers of Europe, on the Concerto, and there was an ice machine on our floor, and ice bucket was provided in our room. Absolutely no problem bringing bottles on board to use in your room. Wine was provided with our dinner each night, and one night beer was also served to compliment the German Dinner.

Archived