Muzak Poll

GrimWheel

Pre-recorded music on deck and in corridors  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Pre-recorded music on deck and in corridors

• I love it ! Play it 24/7
    • Appropriate music OK on deck at Sailaway when no live band, but at no other time please
    • I hate it ! It ruins the elegant sophistication Cunard strives to create

In response to Gail's kind suggestion, here's the Poll !

I take the position that pre-recorded music is possibly acceptable in some appropriate public rooms, such as bars and club spaces, and maybe lounges, perhaps for dancing when live bands not playing, but that playing pre-recorded music on deck or in corridors is presumptious, inelegant and intrusive. I wish to demonstrate to Cunard that you all agree with me so that we can put a stop to it.

What really bugs me is loud, raucous "music" in a shoreside restaurant while you are trying to enjoy dinner. It should be soft, soothing, romantic and unobtrusive. Hopefully, that shore experience will not invade cruise ships. We sailed many years on HAL and always requested a table for two near the musicians. They always played perfect dinner music. We hope for the same on our first Cunard cruise.

What really bugs me is loud, raucous "music" in a shoreside restaurant while you are trying to enjoy dinner. It should be soft, soothing, romantic and unobtrusive. Hopefully, that shore experience will not invade cruise ships. We sailed many years on HAL and always requested a table for two near the musicians. They always played perfect dinner music. We hope for the same on our first Cunard cruise.

Completely agree with you there - loud and raucous definitely out. As I said earlier on this thread somewhere, I can't remember the muzak on QV, although I'm not denying its existence. But if I can't remember it - I'd guess it wasn't loud and raucous. On QV the dinner music was provided by a string quartet playing in the lower level of the Britannia restaurant. Definitely not loud and obstrusive - in fact, from the upper level, it was, sadly, almost inaudible.

J

Completely agree with you there - loud and raucous definitely out. As I said earlier on this thread somewhere, I can't remember the muzak on QV, although I'm not denying its existence. But if I can't remember it - I'd guess it wasn't loud and raucous. On QV the dinner music was provided by a string quartet playing in the lower level of the Britannia restaurant. Definitely not loud and obstrusive - in fact, from the upper level, it was, sadly, almost inaudible.

J

Our string trio was played from an upper balcony and was lovely during dinner. It was quite audible from below.:) We were on the QM2.

My objection is that it is very difficult to find anywhere quiet in QM2 to talk, read or just sit and look at the sea without some tacky background "sounds".

I have objected but you might as well talk to the wall.

David.

My objection is that it is very difficult to find anywhere quiet in QM2 to talk, read or just sit and look at the sea without some tacky background "sounds".

I have objected but you might as well talk to the wall.

David.

Mmm. Worrying indeed.

Keep the votes coming please. Make yourself heard in a world that doesn't listen.

Recorded music at sailaway is fine until the real bands start.

If cruisers want music wherever they go - invest in a ipod (or similar mp3 player). Music in the corridors etc is not required and in the public areas its nice to be able to be able to talk, peoplewatch or just be alone with your thoughts without background noise. Live music in public areas is fine, afterall what could be better than listening to Frankie in the Crystal Bar on QE2 for example before or after dinner. Yet if the live music is not to your taste one can always move somewhere else.

Piped music cannot be escaped and would certainly put me off in the future.

Remember music is a personal taste, so the muzak (even if everyone agreed that it should be played) would still not suit everyone.

Above all (speaking as a musician) where at all possible keep music live!

Recorded music at sailaway is odious. It is the worst option and so cheap and tacky. The cruise line should put one of the house bands on the deck. If only for an hour. Anything is better than that crap they currently play.

:eek:

Capn,

Would you consider placing one of your wonderful poems on A Final Tribute to the QE2. You must have one written, I believe I remember one. If you don't , I bet you could write one quite easily. Please consider it?

Gail:)

Capn,

Would you consider placing one of your wonderful poems on A Final Tribute to the QE2. You must have one written, I believe I remember one. If you don't , I bet you could write one quite easily. Please consider it?

Gail:)

Now is the time to say goodbye,

Now is the time to yield a sigh

From her home port yesterday

The QE2 is off to live in Dubai

Sand, sand the Captain said,

That light, what colour?

Was it green or maybe red ? No matter surely most

of the passengers are still in bed

She dwelt a while on said sandspit

In strong winds, a cinch to hit.

No-ones to blame, it doesn’t matter