honolulu on 11/28

srm54

We will be on the Zaandam starting 11/22 with a port stop in Honolulu on 11/28. They have just changed our port time in Honolulu from 8-5 to 8-10 p.m. (I am very happy about that) Am now rethinking what to do while in Honolulu and went online to discover there is some type of Christmas parade on that day starting at 7 pm near Waikiki. Just wondering if anyone has been to that and would recommend seeing it? If not, can you suggest something different? Thank you for your help.

Sheri

I come from the cold. Have been in Hawaii at Christmas time and they do it up right. Lots of decorations. My wifes favourite are the poinsetta trees (christmas trees made up of potted poinsettas).....I googled waikiki for parades and got nothing. I am sure you will find something to do...they may have movies on the beach...fun thing for a family...since its dark at 6:30 you can likely see at least a bit of a movie before you have to head back to the ship....or to be safe leave exploring the aloha towers area until last so you have it to do before getting back on the ship which docks there

Mele Kalikimaka

I live in Southern California and have not experienced a cold Christmas like you would receive in Alberta since my parents moved from Minnesota when I was 4 years old.

The information on the Christmas parade is below (it looks like it could be fun):

Address:Kalakaua Avenue

Waikiki, HI 96815Beginning Date:11/28/2008Ending Date:11/28/2008URL:http://www.waikikiholidayparade.comTicket URL:Description:Thousands of spectators, residents and visitors gather annually on the Friday after Thanksgiving to watch the Waikiki Holiday Parade, which hosts local bands, marching bands from the mainland, Pearl Harbor Survivors, service bands, military units, local officials, dignitaries and entertainers. The scenic parade route begins at Fort DeRussy, travels approximately 1.5 miles through Waikiki along the oceanfront of beautiful, torch-lit Kalakaua Avenue, ending in Kapiolani Park.

Now in its tenth year, the Waikiki Holiday Parade commemorates Pearl Harbor Survivors at the anniversary of the attacks.

Thanks so much for the information about the parade! I land in Honolulu at noon that day, so now I have something fun to look forward to.

Just an FYI for those who haven't been in town during one of these events, closing Kalakaua Ave. causes major traffic headaches so if you want to get anywhere fast, leave a little early.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived