I need help figuring out an old Carnival ship's name

Avril

I'm trying to figure out which shp someone on one of my roll calls sailed on and I'd like a little help from all you Carnival experts. :D Here's what I know about the cruise:

1. It was in November 1984 to the Bahamas

2. Carnival had 4 ships in their fleet in 1984 - Mardi Gras, Carnivale, Festivale and Tropicale

Anyone have any ideas? I aske how long the cruise was (if that'll help) but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

This may not help either, but I actually still have an old 1988 Carnival brochure. Their fleet had expanded to include the Celebration, Holiday and Jubilee by that time. In that brochure, the Festivale was a 7-day eastern Caribbean, the Tropicale went out of LA to Mexico. The newer Celebration, Holiday and Jubilee were all 7-day eastern or western Caribbean. Only the Mardi Gras and the Carnivale went to the Bahamas on 3 & 4 day cruises. The Mardi Gras sailed from Port Everglades and the Carnivale left out of Miami.

Our first cruise was on the Carnivale in 1989 when our son was 8 and our daughter had her fifth birthday during the cruise. I still remember that cruise - the crew spoiled the kids rotten! They taught them how to flip spoons into the water glass at dinner, how to fold napkins into funny shapes, and all kinds of other great life lessons!

The Carnivale wasn't much in comparison to today's ships, but we had a great time and have been on numerous cruises since. In fact we are taking the now grown kids (in their mid twenties) on another cruise over the Thanksgiving holiday on the Carnival Freedom since we all had could take that week off - they still love cruising also.

Thanks for making me go back and look at the old brochure, it brought back a lot of great memories!

I have my 1982 Carnival catalog and it has the following cruise that called in the Bahamas:

Festivale: Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas

The Mardi Gras, Carnivale and Tropicale apparently did not have calls in the Bahamas that year. I don't know how much it would have changed in 83 and 84, but I hope this helps you.

Oh, and for all those that get upset about fuel surcharges and such, the base price for that 7 day cruise was $760 for a cabin on Riviera/Man. A cat. 12 suite would run you over $1400 pp.

I have my 1982 Carnival catalog and it has the following cruise that called in the Bahamas:

Festivale: Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas

The Mardi Gras, Carnivale and Tropicale apparently did not have calls in the Bahamas that year. I don't know how much it would have changed in 83 and 84, but I hope this helps you.

Oh, and for all those that get upset about fuel surcharges and such, the base price for a cabin on that 7 day cruise was $760 for a cabin on Riviera/Man. A cat. 12 suite would run you over $1400 pp.

It really is amazing how they've managed to bring prices DOWN and keep tremendous service!!! Holly

I went on the Festivale in 8-1981. We went to Nassau, Bahamas, San Juan, Puerto Rico and Charlotte Amalia, St Thomas in the Virgin Islands. We departed from Florida but I don't remember which port.:)

Marlene

Shoulda been Miami, if it was the same in 82.

Mardi Gras, Carnival fleet 1971 – 1993

Mardigras.jpg

Carnivale, Carnival fleet 1975 – 1994

carnivale.jpg

Festivale, Carnival Fleet 1977 – 1996

Festivale.jpg

Tropicale, Carnival fleet 1981 – 2001

Tropicale.jpg

Tropicale was the first ship with the “Farcus Funnel”

Do you recognize any of these???

Ok folks, I think I'm getting there. :D Thanks for all your help so far. :D I'm assuming that most of the itineraries and ships were the same throughout the 80's so what you've given me from 1981 - 1988 is probably pretty much the same accross those years. I have some more information. The cruise was during Thanksgiving in November 1984. It was a 4 day that sailed from Miami and it stopped at Nassau and Freeport and had 1 day at sea.

Mardi Gras, Carnival fleet 1971 – 1993

Mardigras.jpg

Carnivale, Carnival fleet 1975 – 1994

carnivale.jpg

Festivale, Carnival Fleet 1977 – 1996

Festivale.jpg

Tropicale, Carnival fleet 1981 – 2001

Tropicale.jpg

Tropicale was the first ship with the “Farcus Funnel”

Do you recognize any of these???

I'll have to ask the person on my roll call if she recognizes any of those ships. It was her cruise, not mine. I didn't start cruising untill 2003 and I sailed on the Carnival Imagination.

Thanks for the pics, they're awesome!! :D Such beautiful ships!! :D

i was on the Carnival Carnivale in 88 or 89. it was my first cruise. it was a 4 day crusie to Nassau, freeport and 1 day at Sea. The cruise left from Port Canaveral. i was 15 at the time and don't remember the exact year.

I sailed on the Holiday when it was brand new in May of 1986 and on the Jubilee when it was brand new the following year (April of 1987). Both were 7 day cruises out of Miami and both stopped at Nassau in the Bahamas.

Now 20+ years later we are going on the Inspiration in 3 weeks. I feel like it will be my first cruise because it's been so long. 20+ years ago I sailed with 4 girlfriends (we were barely 20) and we brought tons of clothing and lots of hairspray (it was the 80's afterall). This time around, we are bringing our young kids and not so much clothing!

I can tell you the Tropical sailed out of LA to Mexico in March of 1986. it was our !st Cruise--our honeymoon.The next year 1987 we were on the Celebration, I can tell you it went to Puert Rico at that time. That was it's 1st year. Kind af sad we were in Nassua this past March on the NCL GEM,and we parked next to the Celebration. Turns out that was it's last cruise for Carnival.

Archived